IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lesson on 12-8-19

I came into the previous lesson about a month ago with a ton of forward shaft lean at impact. You can see what we tried in the previous posts. But I struggled with it/ didn’t do the unhinging right/ caused worse problems. So we went back to bowing the wrist and staying deep at P5. 65E9BE57-7A73-4580-9D70-4F76F8A0B8BC.thumb.jpeg.ede1c2a67e3f4a07be9d0ecdf5129d09.jpeg

B13246E0-3AD9-439B-BAD1-BC3E9AE2FD80.thumb.jpeg.22171989a5c337fcce2c452d7758b9f4.jpeg

I worked on this a ton last year, so this shouldn’t be a problem. This is also how I like to swing. It’s not everyday the coach tells you to to swing how you want. I’ll take it!

But as soon as I started doing this...all the forward shaft lean came back. Still this is more important, so I must do this first.

Moving on to the fun part, fixing shaft lean.

93B38D62-5234-4BE3-B1D7-01B83596D00C.thumb.jpeg.3f1b84393476c003feda85288769ff5d.jpeg

Basically I must explode up with my lead side: leg, hip, shoulder

A35E51CF-6394-45D8-8411-6FBDC049421E.thumb.jpeg.14dfc6d65e0bfaf4617b21b2f4e0d736.jpeg

E748950F-77A3-4261-8257-10751C9BEB1D.thumb.jpeg.d92acab5f88b16f79c11a85d9fe6c0e0.jpeg

My lead shoulder wants to go too far forward and around, it must go up. It feels like it starts going up right after I bow my wrist in transition.

For what it’s worth, it doesn’t feel like I’m leaning back at all through impact, just up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yep.

The first thing is more important (arguably not with the driver), and the second piece matters too but not if you're hacking down and across.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

1-8-20

First Practice Session since the holidays. I have 3 months to engrain this, so here we go.

GOALS:

1. Get back into the swing of things, get me feels

2. Vertical wrist hinge in backswing

3. Stay deep in transition, swing inside-out

4. Push up with lead side in downswing to get rid of crazy forward shaft lean.

FIRST SWING AFTER WARM UP

I wanted to make sure my backswing wasn’t too flat, and that I swung in-to-out. 

I spent 2/3 of my time and energy focusing on path.

SECOND SWING 7i

Low ball flight, came from inside sort of. Would prefer to swing more out.

SUMMARY

I wasn’t able to work too much on the shaft lean (1/3 of the balls). I was told that I must work come from inside first. The more I tried to push “up”, the more the path wanted to go left.

I was only able to achieve shaft lean “success” at 30% speed, so I did a lot of that. I also hit some irons off a tall tee.

Also, hit a lot of shanks which is very uncommon for me. No big deal, just a side note.

I forgot to add that I thought my backswing looked a little short.

Edited by Slim_Pivot

• Administrator

I'll comment on the next set of videos. Just take this as your first time getting back into the swing of things.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Today’s Session 1-9-20

GOALS

1. Make sure backswing isn’t too flat

2. Swing in-to-out

3. Work on shaft lean problem

FIRST SWING

I kind of did what I wanted. I thought I came from the inside, but the call still faded. The more I tried to swing out to the right, it would shank. Even when I didn’t care about shaft lean. I dunno.

2. SECOND SWING

I was able to capture something extra bad on this one.

Even though the club stayed deep in transition- my wrist was still cupped and the club tipped way out.

1E3742A3-FE84-4BBF-B6CA-A35DF21D6495.thumb.png.18db600f5c351045a8c2aac05426eef3.png

After seeing the club tip out, I tried to make sure I bowed my wrist in transition. I also tried to feel as if the clubhead is in the circle I drew there. 

LAST SWING

In this swing, I basically did what I was trying to do.

SUMMARY

1. I think my backswing looks really weird, but I don’t know what’s wrong with it. My guess is that I need more shoulder turn and steeper shoulder turn?

2. The more I tried to swing out, I would shank it...so that’s confusing. I had that nailed down for months and months. I’ve always been able to easily go back to that drill. 

3. When I worked on the shaft lean part of my swing, I imagined a glass wall a few inches ahead of my lead shoulder, and tried not to break it. I can’t focus on this goal too much because everything else is not good.

For what it’s worth, here’s a video of me practicing. I spent a lot of time doing these the past 2 days.

Today’s session 1–17-20

I had to take some time off to heal from snowboarding. I don’t suck at it or anything, I must just be getting old. Everything hurt 😩.

Goals:

1. Swing inside out. I keep swinging left

2. Go up through impact (forward shaft lean problem)

3. Stop shanking it. I drew some lines on my videos when I was bored. I noticed my butt was not maintaining the depth that it started at. I was gonna try to keep my butt against an imaginary chair or something.

FIRST SWING after warm up.

Nothing too good about this one.

SECOND SWING

I spent a good third of my session trying to keep my butt against an imaginary wall, and swing out. I thought this was not good. The takeaway was goofy on top of everything else. I came up with a new plan after this.

1.I tried to take the club away low and wide, then hinge my wrists vertically

2. I tried to bump hips and keep my chest closed to the target to stay deep in transition to swing out to the right.

3. Hit draws or hooks

LAST SWING. I have a bunch from this part of session. They all look similar. The last half of session was all slow swings 50% at most. I could not obtain “success” at any faster speeds.

1. Not in love with the top of my backswing, not sure why it keeps laying off.

2. I focused a lot on bowing wrist throughout the downswing. More than I captured in this video. I did hit a lot of draws in this part of session.

3. I got the club to not tip out in this part of session. 

SUMMARY

I feel a little lost, not sure where to start or what to focus on most. I’m kind of frustrated that I can’t simply swing out to the right like I’ve been able to for 6+ months. Next session should be Tuesday at the latest

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

3. Stop shanking it. I drew some lines on my videos when I was bored. I noticed my butt was not maintaining the depth that it started at. I was gonna try to keep my butt against an imaginary chair or something.

Well you nailed that part.

4 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I feel a little lost, not sure where to start or what to focus on most. I’m kind of frustrated that I can’t simply swing out to the right like I’ve been able to for 6+ months. Next session should be Tuesday at the latest

Just hit some 9-to-3 swings where you swing out. Then make it a little longer. Then a little longer. Keep hitting pushes or draws (or hooks). Feel the clubhead coming from "inside."

Successes.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well you nailed that part.

One in a row!

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just hit some 9-to-3 swings where you swing out. Then make it a little longer. Then a little longer. Keep hitting pushes or draws (or hooks). Feel the clubhead coming from "inside."

Successes.

Thanks, will do. I’ll keep pushin

Today’s session 1-21-20

GOALS:

1. Good backswing. (Wide takeaway without sway, vertical shoulder turn, vertical wrist hinge)

2. Transition. Keep rear end on imaginary start line, bow wrist, come from inside

3. Downswing. Swing in-to-out without shanking (goal 2). Work on shaft lean problem, if I can.

i showed up 5 min after opening. Still got stuck on top floor. Can’t get good video from there. Had a really good session tho.

Fixed the shanking problem. I go down and forward hard at transition. Easier to bow wrist and drop club down. I know I must go “up” to fix shaft lean. But I must go down first. Feeling is that I bend my knees and increase the bend at waist.

I know this angle is bad, but its the best I could capture on top level. I have some more vids of the ball but not the top of swing. Can share if needed.

Summary:

1.happy with backswing 

2.happy with transition, must work on more wrist bowing. 

3. Keep working on going “up”. Will be able to make more progress next time. It is impossible to work on this if P1-P5 take too much mental effort. I think I got some “swing coordination” back, excited for next session.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I think I got some “swing coordination” back, excited for next session.

I think so too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today’s Session 1-23-20

I had some trouble today. I’m not sure that I’m practicing the right things. I’ll try to sum up my confusion into a quick bullet points.

FIRST SWING: Earlier in session more focus on transition stuff.

SECOND SWING. A lot of focus on “up”. Golfball sliced

MY ISSUES:

1. I feel like I must bump forward/ recenter to create room to drop club deep in transition. Then when I try to go up, I’m out of time and I feel like I’m just throwing the trunk of my body around and not swinging.

2. I feel like I’m just standing up (losing posture) im downswing. Do I want to side bend through impact? 

3. Confused about release pattern. Should I try to stay connected, or let the arms fly on by from P5-7

I tried to find a picture from my early lessons so my question  is understandable. I used to do a drill where I would not let the club over take the hands. The hands/wrists never released and I stopped the at the point in the picture.

629EA5A7-A4AE-484B-9380-B426D74F0442.jpeg.680d22633510e2c6caf051921a613da9.jpeg

My question is, when I practice “going up hard” with my left side, do I want my arms to stay connected like this. Or do I let them fly?

Im kind of stuck trying both...so I’m not making progress. 

• Administrator

Okay man, just a few quick things:

• What happened to… this?
  • That wasn't a slice. 🙂
  • Seriously, bullet point 1.
  • Specifically, some slower, shorter, exaggerated things.
  • What about a ball on a tee, too?
  • What happens if you just try to hit one solid? Without many thoughts at all?

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Okay man, just a few quick things:

• What happened to… this?
  • That wasn't a slice. 🙂
  • Seriously, bullet point 1.
  • Specifically, some slower, shorter, exaggerated things.
  • What about a ball on a tee, too?
  • What happens if you just try to hit one solid? Without many thoughts at all?

Well I’m glad it didn’t slice

I keep doing slow exaggerations. I really feel like I’m just throwing my upper body around. Like lunging around.

Main worry was that I wasn’t practicing the right moves, not that it was uncomfortable.

Ive only been doing 5-10 ball on a tee each session. I’ll do a lot more of those

If I just swing. I don’t stay quite as deep and swing left. Not way OTT, but not success

Today’s session 1-24-20

GOALS:

Do what Iacas said, keep it more simple, do tee drill

TEE DRILL

Doing this drill for a long time seemed to help. I like how my leg posted up. The “up” move seemed to work for once.

2nd

Used the feels from the tee drill. Actually not bad for once. Kind of got steep in transition tho. Feels were go to top, bow wrist, swing out, go up. *Did not try to bump forward or keep club deep in transition.

For next time:

1. I’ll focus on doing the tee drill for half of my shots for a while

2. getting club to not tip out from P5 into impact (especially slow motion training btwn sessions)

• Administrator

Better.

Have you heard of "mapping?" Making really slow motions? Try some of those too. And don't "throw your upper body around" - you're right that it shouldn't feel like that. Mostly just rotation with the upper body. Mostly.

But again, those were better. Nice.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Better.

Have you heard of "mapping?" Making really slow motions? Try some of those too. And don't "throw your upper body around" - you're right that it shouldn't feel like that. Mostly just rotation with the upper body. Mostly.

But again, those were better. Nice.

I didn’t know it was called mapping, but I do that in between sessions at home.

I used to do it more often and for longer- I can def do it more often

Today’s Session 1-25-20

GOALS:

1. Do tee drill to go “up”

2. Hit shallow from inside

3. Stay deep in transition 

FIRST SWING. I had the stall next to me open for 30 seconds, got a face on. Hurray

The “up” goal was success. There was a lot of hip bump and not much “recentering” or “leaning tower”

I spent a lot of the session doing a drill where I went to the top, did leaning tower. Then I had to pause...then went “up”. Video Below.

SUMMARY:

Its kind of frustrating, feels like I’m going in circles with not re-centering, shaft lean, flipping, staying deep in transition. When I try to put anything together, it shanks or or just awful.

But I made good progress with the “up move”. Really felt my body snap or stretch through impact, so that’s good

Today’s session 1-29-20

GOALS:

1. Swing up. Do tee drill

2. Do leaning tower so hips don’t race ahead.

3. During leaning tower I had a specific feel for transition. It seemed easy to keep deep and clubhead square, try that. I’ve been having trouble with transition things

-if I let weight of club fall, I flip

-i can’t bow wrist and stay deep without my hips bumping hard. No room otherwise

so I’m just a tad confused, so I’m trying another feel.

FIRST SWING

Hard to do leaning tower and then explode up. So I did a pause drill with those feels. I also did drills where I paused at P5.

SECOND SWING. Did some full swings in real motion in btwn drills

Downswing plane seems ok?

Crumpled look at impact is not great

Definite early extension. Head backing out of shot.

SUMMARY:

1. Concerning early extension/head backing up:    I’m trying to explode up, so it is understandable. But contact was so bad today and my follow through has felt off for some time. This may be the culprit, but not sure what to do about it. I’ll think on it while i swing around my house.

2. Grip kept getting too weak, backswing felt like it was getting off. Will do backswing drills at home.

Note: This thread is 757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!