IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good for you man, if it's working for you're students, keep up the good work and they will continue to improve. Quality coaching is vital and like I said, there are a lot of ways to swing a golf club. Some ways work better for some and other ways work better for others.  ONE way shouldn't apply to everyone.  With that being said, can we pu a bow on this and just HUG?  Thanks man.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

ONE way shouldn't apply to everyone.

I don’t teach “one way.”

And, I can back up the things I ask of students with reasons. Facts. Data.

I prefer to see the same from others offering help. I care about the members here and enjoy discussing the golf swing. Theories. Prioritization. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ll get you all a face on vid hopefully tomorrow if it doesn’t rain all day long.  We can see my head get out ahead of it as I try to rotate through (based on my usual swings). I also have a video of me making a slow motion swing while the pro filmed it (2 months ago) I’ve been trying to do just what the video shows, but cannot seem to do it (prob cuz of my crazy high backswing). It’s so frustrating that after 2 months of only trying to do this move, I cannot.

@RST Rebuild, honestly the downswing advice is just bad, don't feel like I even to provide counter examples because @iacas already did a good job and just look at any good player at or post impact. Timing a flip with square-ish hips isn't going to be a successful way to play.

5 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

You can shorten your backswing by maintaining some right knee flex, it will limit how much you can take it back, which is one of your problems.

You'll shorten how much you can rotate, which typically leads people to make a longer arm swing in an effort to create speed.

You recommended to make a big shoulder turn and a tiny arm swing, best way to do that would be to have more freedom with the lower body.

5 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

If you load into you're right butt and not straighten your right leg all the way, maybe it feels like the hip but it's your butt and right ankle , and maintain most of your right knee flex and anchor into the ground, you will have more stability and you simply won't want to keep going back because you will feel loaded up. This is the backswing. Done and with most all of the right knee flex intact.

That's not how athletes move.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

A release of the club by posting up (straightening the left leg) in and of it self, will not create a flip.  AKA adding loft into impact. That upward post move with the left leg makes the arms release and forces the club to turn over...you don't even have to think about it.  It just happens.  I've done it and seen it.  It's a game of opposite's so to speak man. It's designed to rotate, the club that is.  Holding on to the face and trying to keep it square at impact causes the flip because momentum has no where else to go mate. I hear ya.  Used to play like that. Now you have Bubba in there too! I don't care what the pros are doing, we play at a different level.  Well, did you see Slim's swing? Tell him what to do to fix it and be done with me mate.  Try to make a difference in his swing.  I don't see how this helps him in any way. It's about HIM, not me.  Go help if you can.  Cheers.

Edited by RST Rebuild

19 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

Well, did you see Slim's swing? Tell him what to do to fix it and be done with me mate.  Try to make a difference in his swing.

@iacas already made a good post on his swing.

20 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

I don't see how this helps him in any way. It's about HIM, not me.  Go help if you can.

It helps to point out what information to avoid, to @Slim_Pivot and other people viewing the thread. 

23 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

Now you have Bubba in there too! I don't care what the pros are doing, we play at a different level.

Bubba was just one of five examples I used. He's one of the best drivers of the ball in the game. The point was to share swings that people love and swings that people think are odd or unique and show they do similar things.

Learning from pro swings is how we learn what the best do and to focus on those commonalities.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Slim_Pivot.  Well now.  Huh.  Looks like your club is actually hitting that spot you were looking for on the down swing. Prob even lower.  Get my drift?  That's what you need to do to feel it.  Wow.  You can clean up the rest later.  Hyper focus on what you just did and  study it. I'm ignoring the rest of this thread until you post again.  Taking heat. LOL  I can take it. I'm just sharing man.  And don't let anyone throw you off your game.  That was an amazing difference between that swing that you posted earlier. Just saying. 

Edited by RST Rebuild

DO not make a downswing that closed.-Or roll the hands like the one guy is telling you.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

@mvmac I ask this because the swing I was being taught for 3 months seems to be what you’re successfully doing. On 4-30-18 your post showed taking the club away right palm down. Is that a better position to be in (and why, if you dont mind)? Do you still get your thumb under the shaft for support at the top, or is more “closed clubface swing type” with thumb on the side. I’ve messed with doing this takeaway before, but get worried that my ideas will send my swing off on crazy tangents where I will become (more) lost. 

Hey Slim_Pivot.  Take a look at the club face when your arm is parallel to the ground just before impact in your last video.  Does it look like the toe of the club pointed is up to you?  Well, it does to me and it looks dead square.  Now as you get closer to impact, you can see the toe start to get shut because forearm rotation is taking place and it has to or you will block the shot with an open club face, you said that was one of your problems. Just let it keep rotating through impact and to your finish.  Now we can't see the takeaway because you only posted a downswing, but I suspect it behaved. You should look like you are shaking hands with someone behind you when take it back with the toe up, little closed is ok but don't over do it Also, look at the sole of the club at the top of the swing; it closely matches the angle of your lead arm. That means its square and in good position. I would recommend you leave that alone and work on the later part of the swing where it falls apart.  Keep the arms soft and allow for forearm rotation or you will keep getting in unsafe body positions that can get you hurt.  Keep at it man. Big improvement you made there.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

Hey Slim_Pivot.  Take a look at the club face when your arm is parallel to the ground just before impact in your last video.  Does it look like the toe of the club pointed is up to you?  Well, it does to me and it looks dead square.  Now as you get closer to impact, you can see the toe start to get shut because forearm rotation is taking place and it has to or you will block the shot with an open club face, you said that was one of your problems. Just let it keep rotating through impact and to your finish.  Now we can't see the takeaway because you only posted a downswing, but I suspect it behaved. You should look like you are shaking hands with someone behind you when take it back with the toe up, little closed is ok but don't over do it Also, look at the sole of the club at the top of the swing; it closely matches the angle of your lead arm. That means its square and in good position. I would recommend you leave that alone and work on the later part of the swing where it falls apart.  Keep the arms soft and allow for forearm rotation or you will keep getting in unsafe body positions that can get you hurt.  Keep at it man. Big improvement you made there.

@RST Rebuild, you're not going back to the root cause. He's not "fine" at A6 and needing to fix things from there onward. The stuff he's doing at A7 (impact) and even A6.5 are caused by things he's doing at A3.5 to A5.

@mvmac will be able to help you, @Slim_Pivot, probably more than a 6.9 handicapper who drank some RST kool-aid can… but I suspect he'll agree that the transition needs a little work, with the same asterisk that I'm applying here - we would really like to see a face-on video.

You're not too far away from Erie, either. FWIW.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, iacas said:

02.jpg

At the very least, THIS is in need of a change. He's not "okay" to when the shaft is horizontal and the toe is up (A6).

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are using the first video, not the one were he was able to correct what you are pointing out. He also is now bisecting his bicep with the shaft that eluded him for so long. 1924435589_ScreenShot2018-10-21at5_44_06PM.thumb.png.a9b3908cc2879cea1c126a1315f3e229.png1026666412_ScreenShot2018-10-21at5_45_29PM.thumb.png.81aad30ba1f28868b1718749ab80ba0d.png

4 hours ago, iacas said:

we would really like to see a face-on video.

You're not too far away from Erie, either. FWIW.

Tomorrow is 56 and sunny, 2 new videos then. I’m stuck doing inside swings. Also when I visit the in laws in eerie, I play Downing with her dads group. That super flat land is fun for me. I’m stuck in the mountains.

23 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

You are using the first video, not the one were he was able to correct what you are pointing out. He also is now bisecting his bicep with the shaft that eluded him for so long. 1924435589_ScreenShot2018-10-21at5_44_06PM.thumb.png.a9b3908cc2879cea1c126a1315f3e229.png1026666412_ScreenShot2018-10-21at5_45_29PM.thumb.png.81aad30ba1f28868b1718749ab80ba0d.png

Don’t get too hung up on this one. I swung in slow motion. And it’s a model of what I need to do. I’ve been working my butt off trying to get there, and got lost/ haven’t been able to get there. Getting there in slow motion became hard. But at least I now know it’s due to my backswing. The worst part of it, I went to 2 pros (2nd one was more for a second opinion) both said backswing was fine, quit worrying about it. I knew it wasn’t fine tho. That’s why I came here lol

They said that backswing was fine?  Wow.  Continue to do it slowly because your brain has to process the new moves.  When you can do it correctly and keep it slow, rep it in the same way at least 1000 times minimum 100 per session and I can promise you it will start to get ingrained and you can speed it up.  That's how my moves are changing for the better. It takes 3000-5000 reps to master a new move. It about results.  If you're not getting them after tons of work you were told to do, and you did it the way someone told you to.  You have to bail. It sucks but that's how the brain learns.  

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

You are using the first video, not the one were he was able to correct what you are pointing out. He also is now bisecting his bicep with the shaft that eluded him for so long.

He’s not hitting a ball. That video wasn’t a golf swing.

Well, is a practice swing done with a club "not a golf swing"?  The point is once the ball got out of his way he could focus on what his body was doing and not worry about the strike, and it looked wonderful up until the last part of the swing. That's what the cool-aid at Rotary Swing teaches me and it works.  Looks like it did for Slim too.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

Well, is a practice swing done with a club "not a golf swing"?

No. It’s not gonna look like that at a slightly faster speed or hitting a ball.

I can do whatever I want at slow speeds. At speed the forces are quite different. Momentum. Torques.

Note: This thread is 779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!