IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I know it’s bad...I honestly don’t even worry about it because of how steep I am coming down. I’m ignoring it until I can get the club bisecting my lower forearm  (I don’t know a lot of fundamentals, so it’s best to assume I know none)

I worked on hitting balls with the shortened backswing today Secondly I worked on my transition as always. I try to change direction/bump hips and then sort of “fall in a weightless manner” before my backswing is complete -so the club can shallow...but it does not. I have an upcoming lesson on Saturday to help me out. 

I post my feels in case  anyone has been here before and may have any insight into how they solved the same issue.

I Post my intention in case it’s wrong, so ppl with more knowledge can stop me before I get started.

@Slim_Pivot,

You are getting a lot of information in this thread. It can be overwhelming. I would seriously listen to @iacas and recommend either getting on-line video lessons via Evolvr, or if you can, go to Erie and visit Golf Evolution. Many of us on The Sand Trap use Evolvr with great success. If I was in Pittsburgh, I would make the trek to Erie for at least the start. Erik is an outstanding teacher. 

The best way to improve is to work with a qualified instructor who identifies your priority piece for improving. It may take a while to get it down. Then when you've changed that, move onto the next item. Reacting to a bunch of random advice or reading/viewing golf tips can only delay improvement. We've all gone down that path. It will just frustrate you.

Some posters mean well, but they do not have the experience to identify what you need to work on and how to get there. If you are really committed to improving, take this advice.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

You are trying to hit a ball and your right arm is firing to soon and wanting to take over for power but you don't need to do that. 

Not true.

5 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

Thanks for posting that.  Now I know what you're trying to do.  The club is running parallel and you're using bisecting to describe that position. You're working on swing plane so I can tell you how to check for a good swing plane with confidence. Place the camera behind your hands and point it straight down the target line.  Draw a line with a swing app, I use V1 golf, from the hosel of the club and extend it to you're lower right elbow and stretch the line all the way up.  That's your elbow plane and the closer you can stay on that line coming down the better.  It may shallow below it during your transition which is fine, depending on your unique swing or above it if you are casting the club. So to be clear , hosel to right elbow and draw a nice straight line across those two spots from DTL. Can't tell but you may be trying to get under plane and getting too shallow.  That line is your guide to good swing plane.  Every swing is unique but that shaft needs to be getting near that line when the plane is coming down at some point. If you get dead on it when your hands are approaching your right hip, you're good.

No…

Again, @RST Rebuild, though we know you're trying to help, you're just getting far too much stuff wrong. Please stop. You're not an instructor, and you should be here to learn and discuss, not to dole out advice to someone who needs to give you a shot a side for a fair match. Slim has a good plan in place, IMO, and doesn't need confusing, incorrect information.

There are essentially two ways to get on the plane you want to get on, @Slim_Pivot, and we'll cover this much more in depth on Saturday.

The first way, the more common way, is by maintaining left arm depth longer than you do:

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

The second is by rolling the forearms to send the sweet spot "under" the plane quite a bit:

08.jpg

This is a tougher thing to do. Jim Furyk does it here and Justin Thomas does it on the right. The sweet spot is moving counter-clockwise from the DL view. Again, this is tougher, but can still work.

The third? You don't have to be on that plane at all:

09.jpg

That's Jason Dufner (older ones, he's a bit lower plane now), but there are others. It's not as common, but it exists. Nicklaus was above that plane for most shots and most of his career.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Can anyone chime in and talk about the position that Slim_Pivot is trying to replicate with the club parallel to the right forearm coming down?  Is the high camera angle giving the illusion that that's where it actually is or is it higher up and maybe more like Duff?  

On 10/22/2018 at 10:35 PM, iacas said:

his isn't a highly functional swing at this point. There's a lot going on, and it starts to go awry at transition

Now this post is about the 6i FO latest swing by Slim_Pivot. I was just commenting on the release and shorter takeaway.  Looks like Slim_Pivot just passively let's the club go (turned it over) and busted one. Can you show some tour swings FO for me post impact, with the arm parallel to the ground and club head in view, to examine please?  You have an amazing library of stills.  I want to see if the palm of the left hand (for a righty) is facing the camera on these snap shots.  If it is, I just can't understand how it did not turn over via forearm rotation without spinning out the hips to an extreme position. I just want to see it to believe it. Trying to learn here and understand.

2 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

Now this post is about the 6i FO latest swing by Slim_Pivot. I was just commenting on the release and shorter takeaway.  Looks like Slim_Pivot just passively let's the club go (turned it over) and busted one. Can you show some tour swings FO for me post impact, with the arm parallel to the ground and club head in view, to examine please?  You have an amazing library of stills.  I want to see if the palm of the left hand (for a righty) is facing the camera on these snap shots.  If it is, I just can't understand how it did not turn over via forearm rotation without spinning out the hips to an extreme position. I just want to see it to believe it. Trying to learn here and understand.

I tried to draw a triangle so you can see the connection. The guy in shorts is Rory. Forgive my artwork. But that should help you.

8DE2DC54-FAE1-415A-89D7-4DE2E849ED6E.jpeg

A286D7D8-92FC-468E-8C43-E29A49144239.jpeg

5C832926-7099-4347-B318-26502CD0579F.png

@RST Rebuild create a my swing for your profile so people can answer questions for you there. Remember, this is my page where I should be the one asking most of the questions. There’s more analysis of your posts than mine....but create a my swing and you can ask all the questions you want! I’ll even chime in my 2 cents if I’ve “been there before”

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

@RST Rebuild create a my swing for your profile so people can answer questions for you there. Remember, this is my page where I should be the one asking most of the questions. There’s more analysis of your posts than mine....but create a my swing and you can ask all the questions you want! I’ll even chime in my 2 cents if I’ve “been there before”

Yes, this.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Remember, this is my page where I should be the one asking most of the questions.

I just joined up but I thought that this was Slim_Pivots thread and he posted first, and anyone can chime in.  I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.  It's your "page" or your website?  No disrespect intended here bud.  Let me know the process and will adjust.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

I just joined up but I thought that this was Slim_Pivots thread and he posted first, and anyone can chime in.  I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.  It's your "page" or your website?  No disrespect intended here bud.  Let me know the process and will adjust.

It's his Member Swing topic, and he doesn't want you posting on it anymore.

There are other topics in which you can ask your questions, do your learning, debating, and discussing… not here. The title of this topic is "My Swing (Slim_Pivot)". You're welcome to start your own Member Swing topic.

We encourage people to help, but you're not doing that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

There are other topics in which you can ask your questions, do your learning, debating, and discussing… not here. The title of this topic is "My Swing (Slim_Pivot)".

@RST Rebuild This is the issue. There are swing philosophy debates going on and other long arguments. Feel free to tag me or any post and/or swing I make into your “my swing section” and we can discuss it there. But you can’t be the star of my page lol. 

Ex. I saw an old post mike had where he worked on a more closed/square takeaway...and I was curious. I tagged him in a post on my page. Then he was nice enough to reply and even expand upon my question. But I was conscience not to overwhelm his page with my questions. 

We all want to learn and discuss. So keep tagging me in things, and I’ll answer and discuss.  That’s why this website is so much fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RST Rebuild said:

@Slim_Pivot posted that, not @iacas

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

When you get a chance to see the video, that's shows off the differences in a pretty clear way.

Just remember: if you push for now, that's fine. Resist the instinct to swing left to fix the push. That's a piece I didn't want to give you yet; it'd be too much right now.

Setup: stand farther from ball. Fist and thumb is the distance from thigh to butt of club

narrower stance, left foot must flare more, bend more at waist.

stronger grip, left and right hand.

Setup forces backswing to be more flat...not a focus, just a note. None of the after swings have a full backswing. Swings were 75%.

The main drill was to swing out to the right, hands and club But in a connected fashion where the clubhead did not EVER flip. Follow through stopped at chest height. I was shown, that it should be done with a hard swing and the swing stops  with the body. Arms and hands don’t put on the brakes.

(My feel) In order for me to do this at speed, my hips had to bump which seems to allow my arms to connect to my trunk in transition.

Those changes look great. The difference in that last pic is cool with your arms more extended.  Keep it up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Here we go. These are the pictures from 10-27-18. Made a lot of changes. Most of it was very natural for me and it mostly how I used to swing. There’s a chance progress will fast...probably best that it’s winter and I won’t be able to push it too fast.

54DD1C76-0CBF-4BE8-AC94-88C02BAACCEA.png

F7A2139D-F49A-4C17-8B1F-F4C6AE7725D6.png

EAB4C380-A850-406B-9303-A727298E9B36.png

2FCFBA17-5594-4551-8F66-C53571363418.png

C09662A5-4E10-4CC7-9D6D-14DA94367922.png

87EA94A7-970E-4A04-9745-F46FCAB54D45.png

744AFD55-A064-4157-9434-87EA6B75DCAE.png

B37DCC29-2795-4253-8009-80B13B28C8C1.png

B5FF75FA-8B21-49BE-8018-1CBE4ED8294D.png

This is night and day, great work by student and pro. You may feel you've gotten the changes straight away, but it takes time to bake in. You may regress (ignore the bad shots, change the picture) but then get even better. It's not linear, change, generally. Keep at it. Find a place to practice indoors if you're snowbound, even if it's into a net. Make the video match up with the video with @iacas

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:13 AM, Slim_Pivot said:

Setup: stand farther from ball. Fist and thumb is the distance from thigh to butt of club

narrower stance, left foot must flare more, bend more at waist.

stronger grip, left and right hand.

Setup forces backswing to be more flat...not a focus, just a note. None of the after swings have a full backswing. Swings were 75%.

The main drill was to swing out to the right, hands and club But in a connected fashion where the clubhead did not EVER flip. Follow through stopped at chest height. I was shown, that it should be done with a hard swing and the swing stops  with the body. Arms and hands don’t put on the brakes.

(My feel) In order for me to do this at speed, my hips had to bump which seems to allow my arms to connect to my trunk in transition.

To echo what @nevets88 said, keep filming your practice to make sure you are doing it the same way. Also, if you have a mirror, 5 minutes of mirror work can help a lot. It looks really good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 10/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, Slim_Pivot said:

Here we go. These are the pictures from 10-27-18. Made a lot of changes. Most of it was very natural for me and it mostly how I used to swing. There’s a chance progress will fast...probably best that it’s winter and I won’t be able to push it too fast.

54DD1C76-0CBF-4BE8-AC94-88C02BAACCEA.png

F7A2139D-F49A-4C17-8B1F-F4C6AE7725D6.png

EAB4C380-A850-406B-9303-A727298E9B36.png

2FCFBA17-5594-4551-8F66-C53571363418.png

C09662A5-4E10-4CC7-9D6D-14DA94367922.png

87EA94A7-970E-4A04-9745-F46FCAB54D45.png

744AFD55-A064-4157-9434-87EA6B75DCAE.png

B37DCC29-2795-4253-8009-80B13B28C8C1.png

B5FF75FA-8B21-49BE-8018-1CBE4ED8294D.png

Hey! Your changes look amazing.

Just wondering in the first pic right, that ball position, isnt that like Driver ball position? Is it also recommended for irons?

Good luck man!!

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, shilenoz said:

Just wondering in the first pic right, that ball position, isnt that like Driver ball position? Is it also recommended for irons? 

It's a little bit further forward than I typically see.

But… I'd generally prefer a ball that's slightly too far forward than one that's slightly too far back.

Note: This thread is 747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!