IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a couple swing thoughts I wanted to post before I forget.

had a busy weekend. Couldn’t hit balls-only my mirror work/practice swings. Since I was lost/confused I read through my page again and realized I forgot 4 of the 5 simple swing keys (diagonal sweet spot I remembered) so I got out the book.

I was getting way to much weight back on the backswing 

Then, I couldn’t keep my head still and turn because I was keeping too much bend in my right leg. I let the right leg straighten in my slow swings and I could actually make a pain free centered turn while still getting weight/pressure to the back foot.

If I lose my “backswing-turn” again

Try this:

steady head

more centered pivot

let the back leg straighten earlier.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

NOTES FROM TODAYS LESSON

PART ONE: BACKSWING STUFF

E4BC2B10-DDAE-4916-81D1-2CB23CF20F37.thumb.png.4ba406cf8349169da8ea0899216d3702.png

Main Problems:

1. I was over-doing my back leg/hip pivot. My hip is so far to my lead side-I could not bump it toward the target in transition.

2. My neck was kinking to the left causing bad things.

Fix:

1. Less extreme back leg straightening (minor)

2. Fix head/neck (major). My feeling- must keep bill of hat “square to the ground”.  Also don’t let neck kink left.

I actually got a bigger shoulder turn and bigger swing arc when I turned my hips less. Plus it looks much better. As soon as this changed, I felt as if I had a lot more space/freedom to hit the ball.

PART TWO: DOWNSWING STUFF

996FB039-6A7C-4E58-82DA-0479C806D1AF.thumb.png.e5bfabd1405bad4bc816aaafe745b767.png

MAJOR-Must bump hips toward target laterally-NOT DOWNWARD

180EA236-56B7-48DA-AF7A-89D2465F36E3.thumb.png.b7e3f7c09a073119c4f30932100c8e28.png

Very scrunched on the left, pivot slowing down.

Feeling: Reverse-C through impact while posting lead leg.

Side note: my hips rotated more through impact. This was a side effect. Not an active feeling. 

9E3D90E2-6B92-49F8-95DF-EA5C586C7CBF.thumb.png.fd61647e373f2edb61a9238f52165f98.png

Wrists were still flipping too early.

Keep club from turning over just a little longer

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

17 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

1. I was over-doing my back leg/hip pivot. My hip is so far to my lead side-I could not bump it toward the target in transition.

Same stuff that I fell into. 

What worked for me was setting up a chair or object near my left hip at address and I tried to work to not hit it. 

I try to feel like I gain width with my knees during the backswing and it feels kinda like I am loading right a bit. 

I like the feeling of loading right so I can be very aggressive shifting to the target. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Same stuff that I fell into. 

What worked for me was setting up a chair or object near my left hip at address and I tried to work to not hit it. 

Thanks for the info. I will be able to steal that drill for myself. 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I try to feel like I gain width with my knees during the backswing and it feels kinda like I am loading right a bit. 

I just came from getting too far behind it so I gotta be careful...I’m trying to find the Goldie Locks zone.

15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I like the feeling of loading right so I can be very aggressive shifting to the target. 

Agree. I have high hopes for accomplishing this lesson (relatively quickly) so I can actually start caring about where the ball goes.

FIRST SESSION AFTER LESSON

MAIN OBJECTIVES:

1. Steady “square” head

2. Lateral Hips in transition

3. “Reverse C-feeling” follow through

After being sick for a week, I was a bit off to start. I got it straightened around-I think.

FIRST VIDEO AS BASELINE

FOLLOW THROUGH PRACTICE DRILL

FOLLOW THROUGH DRILL (SWING ONLY) different swing, later in session

SUMMARY:

I could not get face on view, cannot wait for warm weather. This dome is killing me.

1. Steady “square head”: I think this was a success. I felt like I was keeping my head square to the ground, not kinking my head left, and turning around my spine like a post. MUST BRING HAT NEXT TIME

2. Lateral hips in transition: this was not a success. I had a very hard time doing this. I think I developed something in my swing. I think I have this right side bend in transition-my arms are no longer free- so I pivot around. I don’t know if I should try to maintain my height in transition or if this is good. It effected goal number 3 however.

3. “Reverse-c” finish. I felt as if I was tightening my left side and letting my arms extent through on the follow through, but I felt like my hips didn’t bump enough to accomplish this.

I will wait for instruction before proceeding with my preparation for my next session.

The feeling I get with this transition “right side bend” is that the club is “under” and as I pivot into impact, the club comes  “up” from underneath. The grip definitely feels like it’s rising.

Whether this makes sense to anyone or not...I tried to explain the feeling of the position I feel trapped in.

Not trapped in a bad way, but trapped to where I must get to impact with my pivot and not with my arms.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I will wait for instruction before proceeding with my preparation for my next session.

Not sure what you mean here… Work in slow motion on one thing specifically. If it's the hips transferring forward, do that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not sure what you mean here… Work in slow motion on one thing specifically. If it's the hips transferring forward, do that.

Sorry for not being specific. I meant not sure whether to stick with the side bend thing. Or stay tall in transition so I can use my arms.

i feel like there’s 2 paths to take, and I don’t wanna go down a wrong one.

If I can’t find the words to make sense, maybe I could text you a video where I act it out lol.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Sorry for not being specific. I meant not sure whether to stick with the side bend thing. Or stay tall in transition so I can use my arms.

i feel like there’s 2 paths to take, and I don’t wanna go down a wrong one.

If I can’t find the words to make sense, maybe I could text you a video where I act it out lol.

I never talked about "side bending."

With the hips in a "not too far forward" position, they can transfer forward a bit during the first 2/3 of the downswing, creating axis tilt, but I don't want you manually "right side bending" to do that. That won't push the hips forward, that just fakes axis tilt away from the target.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I never talked about "side bending."

With the hips in a "not too far forward" position, they can transfer forward a bit during the first 2/3 of the downswing, creating axis tilt, but I don't want you manually "right side bending" to do that. That won't push the hips forward, that just fakes axis tilt away from the target.

I know you never talked about it, but it started happening. So I wanted to ask.

And ok, thanks for the clarification.

For the record, I think it was a little of both. I was driving my hips-combined with all my drills of staying deep in transition may have caused me to bend a tad

TODAYS PRACTICE SESSION

GOALS:

1. Continue steady, “square head”

2.Bump hips without side bend

3. “Reverse-c” finish with posted leg

Head movement was successful

club over took my hands too early.

More successful follow through. Not good enough, yet

video from down the line also. Another “ok job” of not letting the club overtake my hands

SUMMARY:

1. Steady, square head was successful.( I think)

2. Bump hips without side bend. There was no side bending, I’m not sure my hips are working well enough. This will be my main focus to prepare for next session. (More lateral hip bump)

3. Follow through. I did decent with not letting the hands flip. Less scrunch post impact. I think when I improve goal #2, I can fully accomplish this.

Contact was not good enough, too many fat shots. Also ball flight keeps getting lower and lower. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Slim_Pivot said:

club over took my hands too early.

????

Also ball flight keeps getting lower and lower. 

Uhhhhh… yes, as it would with this much shaft lean.

01.jpg

These look much better.

14 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

club over took my hands 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

????

309B4AD5-A9C4-491A-812A-EDC1798739C4.thumb.png.70d6a8d7fb89f1524b4c7257e18c967b.png

I thought I flipped too early in the follow through on this one. But would this be considered success? If so-that’s good.

And what should I do concerning the shaft lean? Should I work on hitting good shots (with less shaft lean) while maintaining the picture above. 

Sorry for bothering you so much, Knowing success/failure is getting more difficult as our priority pieces get smaller.

• Administrator

Upgrading the site right now, so I'm even trying to minimize the open tabs. Remind me to get back to this later today, please.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I thought I flipped too early in the follow through on this one. But would this be considered success? If so-that’s good.

Maybe for an exaggerated drill. Definitely not for a real swing.

23 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

And what should I do concerning the shaft lean? Should I work on hitting good shots (with less shaft lean) while maintaining the picture above.

Nothing, really. These are drills where you're exaggerating a feeling. I don't expect that when you get to playing that you're going to be delivering this much shaft lean.

You should be hitting the ball pretty well with these shots, and with not much curve. Yes?

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

You should be hitting the ball pretty well with these shots, and with not much curve. Yes?

My shots are tight draws, club is often bottoming out too soon.

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe for an exaggerated drill. Definitely not for a real swing.

Nothing, really. These are drills where you're exaggerating a feeling. I don't expect that when you get to playing that you're going to be delivering this much shaft lean.

I dont mean this in a negative way or am I complaining-so dont take it that way. I couldn't have made any of this progress without the coaching-as proven by 7 months of failing before I found this site.

But I think these drills have become my real swing. These are very very close to my real swing...just with the focus of not flipping at all and stopping at shoulder height. At minimum, the shaft lean is currently in my real swing. This is a good problem anyway. Doing less of the change is always easier than needing to do more of it.

On the bright side, I am implementing the changes you want! (I think)

Are we getting to a point in time where you show me how to really swing and hit shots....or am I not quite there yet?

Maybe I misunderstood...when I just go and play, a lot of these exaggerations will kind of disappear? 

Generally, if you think of it on a spectrum: if your current swing is point A and your exaggerated drills are point B, your future swing will ideally end up being somewhere in the middle.

Unless you're like me and you overdo everything you've ever been taught 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

@Slim_Pivot… here's what I recommend.

Play some golf at the range. Pick a hole, hit a driver, and hit the shot that driver would have left you.

Play for awhile and then record a 6-iron later into the session. One swing thought at most, and see what the swing looks like (DL and FO) 2/3 of the way into your session.

Let's see what that swing looks like.

• Thumbs Up 2

Note: This thread is 784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!