IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, iacas said:

That's really not that far off.

Good.

Ok that’s good to know; hopefully I get it soon. 

thanks for the extra help with this move. It’s has been rough.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started hitting a tiny fade over the holiday weekend and I knew something was bad with my swing.

I was only able to hit about 20-30 balls before a big storm came rolling in.

I only have one video of what my swing reverted into.

YUCK!

I wish I could’ve captured a face on to see how the leaning tower was doing in the full swing. 

I’m upset this happened, but I’m not too surprised. I don’t quite know what to do with my arms in transition with the leaning tower. Maybe I should focus on keeping my chest closed longer while I transition?

I’ll keep doing my drills at any rate. I’m pretty adamant about keeping my path in-to-out and hitting some type of push draw while I make these changes.  

Later at home, I tried to work it out. I got a feeling of the club dropping and working “down and around” from the inside at P5ish to P7-8. Hopefully I can get to the range again soon.

• Administrator

Yep. Forearms rolling over puts the club high and outside. Right palm has to stay facing out longer. (You have your own feels for this, as you know.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

58 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep. Forearms rolling over puts the club high and outside. Right palm has to stay facing out longer. (You have your own feels for this, as you know.)

That’s good info, forearms and right palm were 2 things I never thought about. Should help with feels.

Ill be sure to work on that and -at minimum- correct the path before I play again.

Today’s session, more leaning tower drills.

Have been hitting the ball very well. All draws, no fades. Made sure to stay deep and come from inside when I played. Didn’t throw my hips like crazy either, didn’t feel like it anyways.

Driver is money.

Wedges are trash.

DTL DRILL

backswing can look funny when I do the drill, not an issue.

FACE ON DRILL

Still not good enough as usual. I’m trying tho.

FACE ON SWING

Pretty indicative of where I’m at as far as leaning tower goes while hitting a real shot.

3/4 WEDGE 85 yard shot

These are giving me problems. I feel like I don’t have the time to do my moves on shorter swings. I must get better to score in the short term...which oddly isn’t my top priority.

And of all clubs, I don’t draw the little wedge shot, go figure. I blade em when I try to really come from inside during play.

• Administrator

Gotten a bit flat. That’s why driver is fine and wedges suck. Too shallow with wedges.

Two slightly different swings.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Haven’t been able to practice for real since Thursday. So 5 days. Obviously doing swings around the house and outside, but it doesn’t stick unless I hit balls correctly.

Bad session.

FIRST SWING

Was very unhappy the downswing was steeper than the backswing. Unfortunately, I think it gets worse from here.

SECOND SWING

Really tried to fix path and hit a draw. Can’t revert to outside in.

THIRD SWING  Face on

No leaning tower to see. Failure. Then my phone died during the face on drill swing. Double fail.

Will try tomorrow. Basically when I do leaning tower, I can’t get the club on plane. When I get the club on plane, I go wild with my hips and hit fat shots. Totally demoralizing 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Was very unhappy the downswing was steeper than the backswing. Unfortunately, I think it gets worse from here.

You're being far, far too picky.

image.png

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're being far, far too picky.

image.png

Well that’s good news, I’ll work on just leaning tower tomorrow.

Fades are ‘eeking’ back into my game. Afraid of reverting back to outside in.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Well that’s good news, I’ll work on just leaning tower tomorrow.

Fades are ‘eeking’ back into my game. Afraid of reverting back to outside in.

Likely because the forearms are rolling over so fast. Extend up on the left knee, push the hips forward and up underneath you, and stick the finish position - hit your checkpoints.

If you can swing over the noodle as you do it, great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today’s session: More leaning tower

DTL DRILL

FO DRILL 

FO SLOW SWING (50%)

LAST SWING TO SEE WHERE IM AT/HOW THINGS ARE BEING ENGRAINED

Even though I flipped my wrists there. I think the leaning tower at full speed made tiny progress. Yesterday on top/today on the bottom. 

11E6524A-217C-4481-8B45-7D094E000321.thumb.png.2b076ec058ef505b42cf49b89ef2c4b1.png

0EA8B60A-CA62-43EF-BC91-EE69E1AB1D01.thumb.png.d558352758b58621905dd7e493a44de1.png

If/once I get passed this move, I hope the next ones aren’t so hard lol.

• Administrator

I like it.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I like it.

Hey, one in a row! I’m (hopefully) starting to get it.

Lets see how I progress the next two weeks

• 4 months later...

Now that the season is over (I hope) it was time to get back to improving my swing. Played decent this year. I had better tools to come from the inside and close the club face. Ball striking definitely improved. Irons were good to very good. Wedges were ok. Driver stunk. The biggest issue I brought to the lesson was hitting my higher clubs too low. I knew I had too much shaft lean, but I didn't have the knowledge to fix it. 

I have a swing from a few days before the lesson, just so anyone can see the swing in motion. I dont know why its not slow motion. Either way, it's not that important so I'll just leave it.

So going into lesson, I knew too much inside on takeaway and too flat at top of backswing (constant issue that needs monitoring) Tiny over the top, too steep coming into impact. Biggest problem for playing golf was the shaft lean, that I had no idea what to do with. Moving on to lesson pictures....

FIRST PHOTO

1940389989_03Higher.thumb.jpg.27410e7fb88525b4e5e07529db5b753a.jpg

Biggest issue (in this picture) was the club sucking inside around my body. It feels like I can just let my arms fly up. I need to make sure I don't over-do this move; my long arms can go crazy. Also, my wrist hinge was getting bad. I need to make sure the wrists cock upward, not sideways. Vertical hinge I guess.

SECOND PHOTO

1442949099_04ShallowDeeper.thumb.jpg.8a9cb42281ad23fbeb10c5e107e38c9f.jpg

After I get to the top, I let the weight of the club fall behind me. @iacas had this poop emoji thing that he stuck on the club shaft that really helped. I forget the name of course, but I prob need to buy one. Helped a lot. So the club falls behind me, it feels like the clubhead is falling behind me and scraping the ground (it moved 4 inches). I tried doing this before on my own, like most average players. The big difference is that I was trying to do it with my arms instead of with the weight of the clubhead. I'm hoping to gain success with this move with proper feels.This is probably the most important thing that I must get before next lesson, MAIN PRIORITY.

THIRD PHOTO. In my last lesson, my hips bumped like crazy and separated from by body. We did a "leaning tower move" and I was told that my body is now moving pretty well (I claim success here).

561497445_05Uncock.thumb.jpg.6ddea90352576cbf16addebaa49d5f8f.jpg

Anyways, back to this lesson. In order to fix my crazy amount of shaft lean, I must unhinge the club/uncock my wrists. I feel like the clubhead is getting farther away from me. Even though I felt like i was 'casting like a fisherman', I still couldn't get to that green line on the right. The feeling is that the clubhead is almost dragging on the ground (its obviously not).

So get to the top, weight of club falls behind, wrists unhinge...then from P5 into impact we did some things, but I couldn't understand.  So that will probably be next time. I'll keep my feels on this part to myself for now before I misquote @iacas and give him grey hair. 

Today's Practice Session 11-6-19

My vidoes are not downloading to youtube as slow motion again. I have them as slow motion in my phone, it is driving me nuts. I will try a new swing app next time. Sorry everyone. On the youtube video, click setting (looks like a gear wheel) and play back at 0.25 speed.

Goals: 

1. Steeper backswing, hinge wrists correctly (up and down)

2. Lay club off in transition, use weight of club to let fall behind me

3. Unhinge wrists in downswing. Not as much forward shaft lean. (failed)

First swing after warm up:

Decent backswing, laid off the club ok, happy with first attempt.

Face on:

Not the best video, but its the best I can get at this place. Either way, we can see whats going on with goal 3. Want to see club unhinge (see previous lesson post with green line) and not have so much shaft lean at impact.

This was a about half to 3/4 through the session. This piece was not a success.

Third swing, End of session

Must fix alignment. Reasonably happy with backswing, Happy with transition move. Did not let the angle go.

For next time. 

1. Keep working on backswing. I want to blend a centered pivot move with the vertical hinge. I must cement that feeling in order to really focus on later parts of downswing. 

2. Keep working on laying club off. Happy with first attempt at live practice.

3. Keep searching for how to unhinge wrists and release the club. Cant find feels that work, and I don't understand the release yet

• Administrator
On 11/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, Slim_Pivot said:

So get to the top, weight of club falls behind, wrists unhinge...then from P5 into impact we did some things, but I couldn't understand.  So that will probably be next time. I'll keep my feels on this part to myself for now before I misquote @iacas and give him grey hair. 

Like I said (and like you've kinda said throughout), we'll mostly get to that in the next bit. It's important that you're not coming just a bit from the outside, etc. first. We had to fix that part first. We will get to the other piece, and we'll get to it the next time we meet up if you're able to stand the shaft up and get it falling from the inside again.

Just watch that your grip isn't too strong in the meantime.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Like I said (and like you've kinda said throughout), we'll mostly get to that in the next bit. It's important that you're not coming just a bit from the outside, etc. first. We had to fix that part first. We will get to the other piece, and we'll get to it the next time we meet up if you're able to stand the shaft up and get it falling from the inside again.

Just watch that your grip isn't too strong in the meantime.

Sounds good. Maybe before or around thanksgiving, I was encouraged by my progress so far.

As far as the grip goes, do you want it weaker than it was in yesterday’s video or maintain it there? The face on  video shows the grip pretty well

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

As far as the grip goes, do you want it weaker than it was in yesterday’s video or maintain it there? The face on  video shows the grip pretty well

No, no weaker than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!