IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note:Β This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Left arm is a bit out at A5. Shaft follows a little. Both can be just a little bit deeper A4.5 to A6.

I got better (non-video) results with a deeper takeaway. However, I thought I was only masking a problem.Β 

I’ll do some mapping and make β€œbeing deeper >P4-P6 my priority”

Thanks!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I got better (non-video) results with a deeper takeaway. However, I thought I was only masking a problem.Β 

I’ll do some mapping and make β€œbeing deeper >P4-P6 my priority”

Thanks!

And steep shoulders. It's not so much the takeaway as it is the dimension the arms and clubhead start down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 8/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, iacas said:

And steep shoulders. It's not so much the takeaway as it is the dimension the arms and clubhead start down.

I understand the dimension part.

The steep shoulders part

• Do you mean that the shoulders must be steep by the time I get to P4?
  • Or do you mean something else?
  • I’m understanding it as- β€œmake sure shoulders are steeper inΒ backswing (takeaway is not the problem)”

I’m not trying to be a pain, just making sure I understand the concept so I can practice correctly

• Administrator

I meant work on your shoulders being steep. It's a constant issue for you that leads to a bunch of plane changes. You rarely want to left bend, often "faking" it with the neck thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Today’s Session 8-17-20

Ive been practicing getting my shoulders steep, but haven’t had any success so I haven’t posted.

8i Swings

Β 

Β 

Im trying everything I know how to get them steep.Β I’m trying to left bend hard, but my neck just twists early. I feel like I’m blocking myself someway but I can’t figure it out.

Sometimes I can get really steep, but there is no width, and I just tomahawk from the top.

In the meantime I’m slicing 9 irons pretty bad. I got myself into a terrible little pattern here.

Ill keep mapping in the mirror, maybe I can get a breakthrough.

• Administrator

Put a stick across your shoulders and film it.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Put a stick across your shoulders and film it.

Did the drill, then what it β€œfeels like” when I try to swing

• Administrator

Yeah, maybe stop doing that neck thing. It’s worse now. Or maybe we didn’t see it before but it’s not nearly as bad with the stick.

So this video proves you can do it. So just do it, now. Every time. At whatever speed is needed.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, maybe stop doing that neck thing. It’s worse now. Or maybe we didn’t see it before but it’s not nearly as bad with the stick.

So this video proves you can do it. So just do it, now. Every time. At whatever speed is needed.

I have 0 control of the neck thing (I did not do it on purpose). It does not happen when I have arms crossed across chest. Only when arms are involved.

I think something is happening in takeaway to block me.

I have been doing slow swings on a lot of balls, that’s why I’m so confused. I will continue tho at slowerΒ speeds. There’s no better way anyways.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I have 0 control of the neck thing

You do.

• 3 weeks later...

First practice session after a lay-off from the normal, structured range sessions. (Got a house)

Ive been playing just enough to stay in some type of form.Β 

I was diligent this session and could only do β€œslowish backswings” to achieve what I think is success.

Goals: Steep shoulders

My level of understanding with my shoulder steepness is lower than other parts of my swing. Weird for something so simple.

In any case β€œI think” this was success. My shoulders did not re-route and become steeper during P4. So I think they were steep enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today’s Session 9-9-20

Goals: Steep shoulders

I think I achieved success again since my only goal is steep shoulders.

6516D147-D956-4433-9263-F7F698919477.jpeg.f6554bafbd2e8d184eae1531a8897034.jpeg

Sadly, I’m hitting the ball like crap when I attempt steep shoulders- don’t know why yet.Β I will keep trying

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t been able to have many structured sessions the last 30Β days. (Moved into a new house 30 days ago and getting married in a few days.)

I have been able to play a bit and swing into my net enough to hold off getting rusty.

I think I have made a lot of progress and I’m really excited to share my swing with you guys.

Beginning Monday, I will be grinding my ass off for our little club championship on Sat / Sun (Oct 10-11)

There are a handful of low handicaps, but I think I have a realistic chance to be β€œin it”.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talked about our little club championship in the last post.

Finished 6th (11 golfers were good enough to win)

-82 (7 3putts)

-71 (bounces went my way)

i tried my best on every shot. Did not embarrass myself

Β 

• Administrator

82 71? And the 82 could have been a… 75 to 77 pretty easily?

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

82 71? And the 82 could have been a… 75 to 77 pretty easily?

Ya, I hit the ball better the first day to be honest.Β my lag putts weren’t bad.Β my 3 footers came off dead left on day one.Β 

Wasn’t overly nervous, kept my head down and stroked up my line like I did all summer- day 1 was just awful with short putts.

This site (@iacas)Β has helped me a ton with my ball strikingΒ so much over the last few years. I almost can’t wait to shut it down and start working on my swing again for next year

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

This site (@iacas)Β has helped me a ton with my ball strikingΒ so much over the last few years. I almost can’t wait to shut it down and start working on my swing again for next year

Ha ha. I have a few people who have all said the same thing. πŸ˜„

• Upvote 1

Lesson 10-14-20

3 main parts

1. Trail leg / hip
  2. Backswing length
  3. Head turn

1. Trail leg/ hip

PROBLEM: I was over rotating my trail hip/leg by a lot. I created no resistance (feeling) and kept turning.

11382A72-02C6-43EA-A9B1-D9C0ECAF580D.jpeg.b6aa2975131c2a551efff2558a2f7fc8.jpeg

Make trail foot square (not flared out)Β Trail knee faces target more during backswing (FO)

37B404C1-93DA-442F-88F9-D2DF97050901.jpeg.d5a7ffd59e17051a7b2d25a4e39fc8e0.jpeg

Trail knee feels like it turns inwards (toward target)Β as I turn my shoulders away.

This is a little easy to β€œfake” so I must:

• feel tension in trail groin and could feel tension above trail hip.
  • Turn upper body away during backswing -no β€œlifting” the club (feeling)

2. Backswing Length (too long)

B4FBFE96-A69B-4541-8B19-56A817B58A83.jpeg.6e269b705f8982cfa65d0228760af8be.jpeg

Vertical line = farthest point the club handle travelled from the targetΒ 

Horizontal line = how far the handle moved back towards the target during the backswing.

The feel- do not let club move toward target in backswing. Only take club away from target, then backswing is over. (Feels like Finau swing)

The first part of the lesson helps with this a lot. I feel very loaded and the backswing feels like it should end here.

Also, the shoulder tilt looks great, very happy with this.

3. Head and neck tilt/turn/kink

9564EB95-8464-44B0-894C-F69537D7EE56.jpeg.6f89c93725be9baae422e597178999f1.jpeg

Keep right eye below left eye during takeaway.

I must not watch the club go back. Keep eyes in front of ball.

Summary / notes:

This lesson went really well, all 3 things work well with each other. I think I can really get my backswing in order with this.

I didn’t want to get a lesson mid- season and have to work through new things...I should’ve gotten this lesson earlier.

-Make sure to hit ball hard on downswing

-Bow wrist and swing to first base during downswing

• Like 1

Note:Β This thread is 756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!