IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today’s Session 10-17-20

First session after lesson is always the worst / hardest. I worked on 3 parts:

1. Trail leg/ hip
  2. Shorter backswing 
  3. Head/ neck not twisting every which way

I was diligent with my session and switched what I was working on every 10-20 balls

Swings:

1. Wide backswing with a little thought on legs for the 2 vids below

2. Steady head with a little thought on legs

3.  Legs 

The session was not overly successful.

It is quite hard to identify success in the lower body. I need to buy a shin pad or something for my knee so I can tell where it is facing during the swing.

5475717F-856E-4351-80A8-8FDE848548BC.jpeg.47ca5509afe1218229b5ea28f70ce714.jpeg

I was getting the club more outside and steep on takeaway than this. I must stay wider.

I started hitting a lot of shanks and slices. I need to be careful not to make that a pattern, there was not enough mental energy to Bow wrist in downswing.

Hopefully better tomorrow

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

The session was not overly successful.

We talked about this. Success is not something that happens, it's something you make happen. Because you can always go shorter, slower, whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Today’s Session 10-21-31

GOALS

1. Obtain success with trail hip internal rotation

I was not able to obtain success with upper and lower body together even in my  “mapping practice” at home.

So I need to get success with the leg piece- then slowly merge the 2 pieces.

Swings focusing only on tail hip.

I think I obtained success with the trail hip priority piece. Getting a baseline for what success is was important.

Last session on left, today on right (they are completely different clothes btw!)

FBFE4A81-9011-415D-930A-84E5DCF659B9.jpeg.610d0ff30759a0da001237b5dfaa4622.jpeg

The differences as far as I can tell

• Trail knee facing way more “forward”
  • trail quad facing more forward
  • trail leg more bent 
  • I think there is a big difference in the way the hips are bent, but I don’t know exactly what it is. The good picture (right) seems like I am more “squatty”

NOTE: I felt like I was squatting and “lifting my arms”. Felt like I was not making a nice, big shoulder turn into/ against my trail leg (but shoulders look like they are turning on video?)

At P4- I was not feeling enough or hardly any pressure in my trail groin or just above trail hip. I was not loading quite right.

Overall, better session. Progress is tough in the beginning.

• Administrator

You could turn a little bit more, and let the right hip go up a tiny bit more, but overall, A here today. Nice.

And take that "A" as far more important - when I say a "little" bit above, I mean a LITTLE bit. Barely noticeable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You could turn a little bit more, and let the right hip go up a tiny bit more, but overall, A here today. Nice.

And take that "A" as far more important - when I say a "little" bit above, I mean a LITTLE bit. Barely noticeable.

That makes sense, as soon as I did that, I felt both pressure points. Ty

• Like 1

Today’s Session 10-27-20

GOALS:

1. Internal rotation of trail hip
  2. Wider, shorter backswing (if goal 1 gets easier)

Swings (with 8 iron today)

Goal 1: Trail legs

0335C596-323A-4345-8866-F3529AADD631.jpeg.bd004aef9cd1269eb369aaccb62d198b.jpeg010E8F4D-2F76-466A-A33A-85F37818DBC3.jpeg.f294df6617c4aca4221c359fb7b984ca.jpeg

This looks like success to me. Trail knee is facing pretty straight (FO).

Goal 2: Wide arms, shorter backswing

I was not able to try this too much today. Goal 1 still took too much mental effort. I will be able to work on shortening backswing soon.

6EC50554-C110-4D83-8A5A-A528DEE26076.jpeg.0457c38889d59584ddab117df9c38835.jpeg

I must get the club to go more “around” and less “up”. This path causes shanks for me. Takeaway must be more “low and away”

CD5BCBE9-7A47-46FB-B566-3BB33E41A51E.jpeg.fe23fde9dba0d98f868040ca57a67f34.jpeg

Arm action seems wide enough. Just have to not hinge wrists up so fast.

Also my head is not twisting and kinking as bad. I’m not thinking about it, but it is doing better.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today’s Session 11-12-20

GOALS:

2. Lower/ wider takeaway (compare to previous post)

Swings 7i

Goal 1: internal rotation of trail hip

4E29EFBD-EDB2-4B2A-84D5-6F1C11277CC4.jpeg.056f0749e8d4b7663216a8222d8bc330.jpeg

Trail knee looks like it is pointing “forward” (at FO camera).

Im beginning to feel more pressure inside of trail leg. Not 100% success yet, but coordination is getting better.

Goal 2: Lower / wider takeaway

Previous session on left

998AAA7D-0FAE-48B5-941B-3D94D08B354A.jpeg.e13fed1e57b900df6756571a248e2a09.jpeg

This was success. I hit shanks from position on left.

Much happier with backswing path today.

Im just starting to make progress with this lesson. At first I couldn’t even do these moves in slow motion in my living room.

I would like to work on backswing length (shorter swing) and neck positions soon. Must see how i progress.

• Like 1

Today’s Session 11-16-20

Goals:

1. internal rotation of trail hip
  2. wide backswing that doesn’t go back too far

7i Swings

Things felt weird today, not my best session.

Goal 1: Trail hip rotation

E729855C-2DA2-43D4-B9A1-3D5DA61758ED.jpeg.be4f6cef9fee6130eccb9344267d358f.jpeg

It seems I did okay with this. Trail knee is pointing relatively forward (at FO camera). 
I’m trying to max out this move, I can definitely do it more.

TRANSITION:

Club seemed to be really looping to the inside today (in transition), not sure what that is about. I felt like I really had to roll the face shut to not hit huge slices. 

321EEFD6-57B7-4FD7-AF67-BFF50D2F4265.jpeg.53bd3922a283682b6af97309eb7acb92.jpeg

• Informative 1

Today’s Session 11-17-20

GOALS:

1. Same trail leg/hip stuff
  2. Match my upper body with goal 1

7i Swings.  I did not take that long to swing from P1-P2 on FO vid -Slow motion Video didn’t work so well on that one, no matter.

GOAL 1. Trail leg/ hip

0F1B629B-6745-4B6F-8553-C01AC29D479B.jpeg.398ab86ecc58d9da33373ecefe24fea9.jpeg
Trail leg looks like success.

GOAL 2. Matching upper body with lower body movements (during backswing)
I have been having a ton of trouble with this. I think I was swaying. It made it impossible to load into trail leg while upper body was trying to go backwards.

I am able to achieve success with goal #2 if —-I feel like I am just swinging my lead arm back.

I have been trying to feel the backswing (turn) in my torso - and have been having major problems.

We’ll see how it goes next time after some more mapping.

Also downswings were OTT and were gross. I must make progress soon

• Administrator

We’ve talked about this before, but your swings always seem to be full swings. How often do we make full swings at anything near full speed when we’re working at Golf Evolution?

Where are the shorter, slower swings with exaggeration? I’m not talking about the swings where you’re just doing a rehearsal. I imagine you do those but don’t record them, or you delete them from the recordings.

Remember that the “success” you seek and that I talk about is something you SHOULD HAVE 90% of the time or so, EVERY time you practice. How? By using the other S words. You do a good job (most of the time) being “simple” and “specific” but how would you grade yourself on the “short” and “slow”?

For backswing things, remember, you can do higher speed downswings. But the backswings should be shorter, slower.

Maybe these are just swings you make at the end, but… I suspect there’s a bit more than a grain of truth to what I’m saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

We’ve talked about this before, but your swings always seem to be full swings. How often do we make full swings at anything near full speed when we’re working at Golf Evolution?

Where are the shorter, slower swings with exaggeration? I’m not talking about the swings where you’re just doing a rehearsal. I imagine you do those but don’t record them, or you delete them from the recordings.

Remember that the “success” you seek and that I talk about is something you SHOULD HAVE 90% of the time or so, EVERY time you practice. How? By using the other S words. You do a good job (most of the time) being “simple” and “specific” but how would you grade yourself on the “short” and “slow”?

For backswing things, remember, you can do higher speed downswings. But the backswings should be shorter, slower.

Maybe these are just swings you make at the end, but… I suspect there’s a bit more than a grain of truth to what I’m saying.

I can achieve success with lower body. 

Im getting to the point where I can’t take the club back on a practice swing or many real swings cuz I don’t know which muscles to fire in the right order. I just stand there like a glitch.

I’m trying to figure out how to move my body in slow motion or any motion to achieve success with upper body and lower body together. (Upper body is the problem I think)

If I can just get to P2, i can actually start to shorten my swing. But I’m not there yet.

I want to figure it out it soon cuz I don’t want to be a twitchy disaster over the ball. I feel like I’m on the clock to fix and get rid of the problem

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I can achieve success with lower body.

Yeah, I see that. And that’s good.

Im getting to the point where I can’t take the club back on a practice swing or many real swings cuz I don’t know which muscles to fire in the right order. I just stand there like a glitch.

I’m not sure I understand that. Stay loose. Wiggle your feet around, move your hands around. Waggle. Then take the club back, staying in motion.

To achieve success, again, do it slowly and with a short backswing.

I’m trying to figure out how to move my body in slow motion or any motion to achieve success with upper body and lower body together. (Upper body is the problem I think)

If I can just get to P2, i can actually start to shorten my swing. But I’m not there yet.

Then get to 2. I think you’re misunderstanding “short.” I’m not talking about “shortening your swing.” I’m talking about swinging to 2 or 2.5 and hitting the ball from there.

Maybe review the five “S” words article? I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing, but nothing you said here makes me think you practice better than what we see in these videos.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today’s Session 12-3-20

Goals

2. Wide backswing 

7i Swings

Goal 1: internal rotation of trail hip:

2B8D5E12-197A-469E-A432-22D0747B7928.jpeg.efa1e587d2711fdcfd70c203f6b2979b.jpeg
Looks decent. Trail knee is facing camera (FO).

It feels like my trail groin is “sinking”

Goal 2: Wide takeaway

BF94A39D-750B-49DC-8D1E-4DB5286E65FD.jpeg.c3a9021a89e07d1ffbf8df6b32791949.jpeg
Pretty happy with the takeaway width -while succeeding with Goal 1.

Cannot have a session without annoyances.
B1518767-A1DC-45C8-A2FD-E31CF85DC3EA.jpeg.1cbf27555faacd9e51d1b210c7d98d05.jpeg

Not happy with downswing steepness. But I must make goals 1-2 more automatic first.

Today’s Session 12-8-20

GOALS:

2. Wide backswing

8i Swings

Goal 1: Trail Leg / Hip

D8E173D5-E39A-4C60-A2AF-AA3EB6846FB2.jpeg.8094768bb4888c7c793b832fa85ee023.jpeg

Pretty good, I think

• Trail knee is still a tad bent
  • Trail knee and shin point towards camera (FO)

Goal 2: Wide Backswing

7C003C8E-5929-4E6C-B042-C582AA5394F9.jpeg.9af68201cf1ec59db85d4836b35672e9.jpeg
I also think this is decent.

• Moving well through P2. I like the way the trail arm is higher at P2.
  • Backswing length is better, not too long
  • Side note, my lead foot feels really flared out. It looks flared out like 2”
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Today’s Session 12-9-20

GOALS:

2. Wide Backswing
  3. Steady head - less neck twisting / kinking (if possible)

7i Swings

Goal 1: Trail Hip

54954A1D-E379-4168-AF62-2D46ED63F96B.jpeg.705a002acb008a21b79c78d163494970.jpeg
These look okay. Trail leg still bent. Trail knee facing camera (FO). 

Goal 2: Wide Backswing

5C40D852-CE91-4D35-8211-89480B00C265.jpeg.ca9be62edec986a9a8509bdc50712d69.jpeg

• Good width through P2
  • Hands / club do not go too far back at P4

Goal 3: Neck twisting

The feeling is to keep the trail eye below the lead eye in the backswing.

590FFFCE-596E-4786-BFC1-9B1FF6B259A2.jpeg.12d0bd567c8efb69a0d368d79d61bb17.jpeg

The neck is twisting less than it used to. The neck used to be totally twisted by P2.

This is the least important piece right now, but it’s not too bad.

Must remember hat for next time I try to work on this piece.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Looking good.

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!