Todd1902

Excel Formula for handicaps

11 posts / 941 viewsLast Reply

I have recently formed a local league of keen golfers and am currently setting up the database for it all.

I was wondering if anybody knows how to set up formulas through Excel to adjust players handicaps as the season goes on?

I have everybodys starting Handicaps, I'm just not clued up enough to work the formula side of it. 

Any help would be great!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Pretty easy to do. Are you counting only league scores? Are you weighting the nines (if you're playing nine holes) differently? Are you throwing out any scores or counting them all?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've made an excel sheet to calculate my handicap just for information purpose, I can share with you if you want.

The way i'm working is addind a row at the top when I play a new game and the formula should follow without any modification from your part.

The calculation is made by formula i've found on the web to calculate my handicap, I hope it's the right way to calculate it:

Differential = 113 * ( score - evalutation) / slope

Handicap = average of 10 best differential of the last 20 * 0.96

Also it's in french but it's pretty straight forward.

The handicap is at the bottom of the table.

The number on the right is just my average for the year.

Handicap Golf.xlsx

5 hours ago, Benit0 said:

I've made an excel sheet to calculate my handicap just for information purpose, I can share with you if you want.

The way i'm working is addind a row at the top when I play a new game and the formula should follow without any modification from your part.

The calculation is made by formula i've found on the web to calculate my handicap, I hope it's the right way to calculate it:

Differential = 113 * ( score - evalutation) / slope

Handicap = average of 10 best differential of the last 20 * 0.96

Also it's in french but it's pretty straight forward.

The handicap is at the bottom of the table.

The number on the right is just my average for the year.

Handicap Golf.xlsx

This looks right to me. When I compare to my spreadsheet with the same inputs, we get the same exact Handicap Index. 👍

It's not at all difficult to do in Excel assuming you're fairly proficient with it. The key is learning to use these formulas:

ROW 21: IFERROR(SMALL(A1:A20,1),"")

ROW 22: IFERROR(SMALL(A1:A20,2),"")

etc.

etc.

....where the underlined number changes to 3, 4, 5, up to 10 because you need to grab the 10 best rounds of the most recent 20 and assumes in the above that the the most recent 20 scores for the player are in rows 1-20 and the best 10 are in rows 21-30. You need a column for each player in the league. The handicap formula shown above in post #3 is correct. Complications arise if you play at more than one golf course, which would probably have different index and slope ratings in which case you would have to know how to use the VLOOKUP function to pick the correct index/slope for each course from an array.

If you have lots of players in the league, like over 50, you would be better off using a database program like MS Access which is a lot more complicated to use than Excel.

Good luck.

Rather than use Excel, I suggest using Google Sheets for League Handicaps.
Excel is easy for use on individual basis, but using it for multiple players requires an enormous amount of time and user input.

By creating the data on Google, I would provide Links for all players to enter their own scores.
Their entry would then link to a Master Sheet for calculating the entire league.

It could also provide the players with their own updated handicap on set dates (1st & 15th) 

The league Manager should inform players of "ESC" to insure accuracy of handicaps when entering their scores.  

If everyone's playing at the same course I would also use Google Sheets since you don't need extra excel functionality with choosing what data to use and it's more friendly for multiple people to use.  

Another idea, prices have dropped drastically for On-line services.
I did a search and found several sites which offer free web based applications and 
a few which also offer Mobile Apps and Web Based applications at very reasonable prices.

Several are customized to users needs, skins, pairings, etc.

14 hours ago, dennyjones said:

IMAGolfer is a decent free online golf league program.

IMAGolfer is not free. The demo is, the actual service isn't.

40 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

IMAGolfer is not free. The demo is, the actual service isn't.

Thanks for setting me straight.     Now I know.