IGNORED

What are Your 2019 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a lesson today and we discussed CHS/distance a little. Gonna add get driver CHS to between 100-105 consistently, while maintaining a decent smash factor. Not sure how to gauge that yet. 1.4ish and up?  Right now I’m at 99, according to Mevo. Not exactly impressive but getting old and scoliosis so always have my eye on protecting the back and have been conservative with effort on the range. Will supplement with more stretching and injury prevention exercises.  Have never been too confident in swing to add speed but I think it’s in a good place where I’m not going to get an RSI. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I turn 30 in September, I would like to post a red 18 hole round before that. I had a few rounds that were close in my early 20s (2 over par), and had several 9 hole rounds under par, but life has gotten in the way and I haven't played much golf in the last 7-8 years.

Seeing as I'm currently a 10 hdcp and yesterday I shot an 86 this isn't gonna be easy, but I really think it is doable. I'm not trying to shoot consistently under par, just one time. Consistency is next year :P

Step 1: Play more, practice more. Last year in March-May I was playing more frequently and by the end of May had posted a couple of good 9 hole rounds in the 30s. A couple of +3s a  +2 and even a +1. But due to a new job I was unable to play much after that. This year that shouldn't be a problem. I think 2-3 days a week of either 9 holes or a driving range session will get me there.

Step 2: Regain peak ball striking. During one of my best seasons in my early 20s I got to a point where I was able to hit GIR almost every time I hit a fairway. Consistent ball striking like that makes scoring much easier! Need focused ball striking work on the range weekly until I am there again!

Step 3: Tame the driver. All of the above would get me back to where I was before, but this was my struggle in the past. During my very best rounds I was hitting nearly every GIR, but would almost always have a couple of holes with a very errant drive leading to a double or worse. I have always had issues with driver. Maybe I should see someone about this.

Step 3.b: ...or put it away more often. Play smarter. This kind of ties in with step 3. Most of the courses I play, I do not need to hit driver at all. I tend to make dumb decisions on the course, at least in the past. Maybe I'll read LSW.

Edited by jshots

:whistle:

just want to play a lot mostly.  would like to break 80 as well, but I really just want to get out there a lot

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 2/17/2019 at 12:48 PM, Nave said:

1. "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge: Consistently practicing and posting my streak. Making it a habit to maintain my skills and level developed over the years.

2. Bogey Player: By end of 2019 play in Texas and score at least three games under 90.

Focus areas:
Develop better course management skills, game-strategy and focus on the long term development instead of thinking short term and how far I can hit today and how beautiful my swing does (not) look.

(Note to self for Jan. 2020: Relax and enjoy the journey with a vision; do not rush just to win)

Q1 2019 - Quarterly report: Failed with journaling already, instead practicing more than expected.

Update:

1) Maintain practice routine without breaking streak for longer than one week

2) Same

Nave

On 12/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, MarvChamp said:

I'm 73 and love the golf game. It is my motivation to wellness and exercise. I feel I'm running out of time sometimes, but I have learned some endurance and patience. So I will try to maintain what I have and be grateful for it. Best wishes to all true golfers out there, -Marv

UPDATE: Physically much better now. Have adjusted swing to the needs of my body...standing a little taller, more upright swing, more arms...and now striking the ball well. In addition to gratitude, I am focusing on keeping negative thinking out of mt way (such as "Something's wrong! Something must be fixed!) and enjoying the ups and downs of golf being golf. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Simple goals:

Currently I am a 7.5 Hcp

By the end of the season: <4.0

1. Keep my hands quiet in short putts. make 20 3' putts in a row 3x a week <2 attempts

2. Improved approach game. Average <40' for Sw-9i. 

3 Improved wedge game. <10' from 50 yrds and in. <3' 10 yrds and in

4. <1 stroke lost off the tee per round.

I'm 43 years old now but only took it up about 18 months ago. Started with a cap of 26 but down to just over 4. I want to pay off scratch so got serious.... Hit them every day etc. My swing isn't perfect but I can do concistantly. Need to improve from about 75 out to green... Need to get those balls closer to pin to get more chances.... That and maybe drink less rum while playing 

2019 goals >>

Keep my PSR the same -Keep emotions in check -soft hands -

Break 80 at my local 18 course

drop 14.4 HC to least 12's

Keep current putting style and keep it solid 1hr practice min per week

Go Foxy Go

1. Get better at putting

2. Stop hooking my driver

3. Shoot even par 5 times

4. Get one hole in 1

5. Be the best golfer I can be

• Like 1

Driver: :titleist: 915 D2

Fairway: :titleist: 913F

Hybrid: :titleist: 913H

Irons: :titleist: 714 AP1

Wedges: :vokey: SM6 60, :vokey:SM7 56 ,52

Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2016 Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

My goal is pretty simple..spend more time hitting golf balls. I suffer from sun sensitivity which has progressively gotten worse over the years and really puts a crimp in my time on the course. Nowadays I just try to get out early or late to the range and hit a bucket, play around in the practice traps or on the practice green. If I can get out there a couple of times a week this year I'll be happy. 

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

I currently shoot on average about a 105. I love to play golf but have typically only played a few times a year up to now which obviously makes it hard to get any better. I’m shooting for at least two rounds a month this year, with at least one practice session per week. I also want to get at least a 95 at my home course by the end of the year.  I can easily break 100 if I improve off of the tee box. I lose a ton of strokes to OBs from the tee box. Most of these misses are a pretty wicked push slice. I’ve already gotten some good tips from this forum to help with this. 

Cheers!

After last weekend my new goal for 2019 is to improve my iron approach shots. I am brutal from 6i to pw and on the executive course I play a lot there are way too many short holes to try to hit the green off the tee if you don’t trust your irons and wedges. I may be one of the few people who is less worried about my driver than my pitching wedge.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:41 AM, Srix965 said:

I'm 43 years old now but only took it up about 18 months ago. Started with a cap of 26 but down to just over 4. I want to pay off scratch so got serious.... Hit them every day etc. My swing isn't perfect but I can do concistantly. Need to improve from about 75 out to green... Need to get those balls closer to pin to get more chances.... That and maybe drink less rum while playing 

That is incredible.  

On 11/15/2018 at 9:35 PM, billchao said:

I've been putting this topic off for a while because I don't really have any desire to set goals for next year. I've kind of lost the fire for working on my game as hard as I used to and that's largely my own fault because I overdo and over-analyze things often. Anyway it doesn't matter. Goals:

• Play at least 20 rounds. Should be able to achieve this one.
  • Play with some fellow Sand Trappers. I always enjoy doing this so I want to make sure I make the effort to continue next year.
  • Play more golf with people I know. I'm getting tired of pairing up with random strangers. A couple of guys I know from work are interested in the game so I'm going to spend some time going to the range and playing with them next year, see if I can make some golfers out of them.

That's it. No skill or handicap based goals for 2019. I have never hit those goals so either I set unrealistic goals or I'm not motivated by goals enough to make them happen. It's not like I won't be working on my game, but I just think it's kind of pointless for me to set specific goals since I just do whatever it is I do anyway.

@iacas told me I should make it a goal to finish the year with a sub-7 index, so I'm adding it. Going to challenge myself on this one.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was just thinking about this thread. My gut feeling is that I have met all my goals for 2019. Not that remember any goals I set way back when for 2019. 

I have stayed healty, injury free, and I am playing pretty good, consistent golf.

According to the stat gurus at our senior men's club, I have even lowered my hdcp by a few strokes. 

The plan now is to continue on with what I am doing, and start looking for improvement for 2020. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, billchao said:

@iacas told me I should make it a goal to finish the year with a sub-7 index, so I'm adding it. Going to challenge myself on this one.

7.5, but yes. 🙂

And… you can do it. Just be smart, don't kill yourself practicing, and incorporate some pre-shot routine so you can slow down a bit on the course with an added pre-swing "calm moment."

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Last year's goal was to get to hdcp of 8 and I did that but it was only for a brief time before it slid up again. 

2019 Goals

1. Get handicap to 8 or better and keep it there
  2. Eliminate bent left arm (aka chicken wing) at impact!  <-- new drills have improved this considerably
  3. Get total putts down to around 27 - 31 consistently (currently averaging 34)
  4. Get 10+ rounds in the 70's (I had 5 in 2018)

Note: This thread is 1643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!