IGNORED

What are Your 2019 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2019 GOAL IS JUST TO MAINTAIN AND BE GRATEFUL. After coming back to golf, taking instruction, practice and play, 2017 was shaping up. Then Sept. 2017 after two great rounds in S Carolina, RA attacked with a vengeance...knee, both hands/wrists, both rotator cuffs. After two minor hand surgeries, various injections and much physical therapy, I began to play again in mid-March 2018 and had some good rounds breaking 90 but I had lost strength. As I exercised and some strength returned, I was very hopeful all had stabilized. But yesterday, Friday, it hit my left hip...apparently bone on bone. So here we go again! I'm 73 and love the golf game. It is my motivation to wellness and exercise. I feel I'm running out of time sometimes, but I have learned some endurance and patience. So I will try to maintain what I have and be grateful for it. Best wishes to all true golfers out there, -Marv

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I need to improve my short game. My chipping and pitching has been awful this year. My putting has been all over the place. My last round of golf, I hit a lot of greens but in the 20-30 foot range and my lag putting was putrid. The funny thing is, I make a lot of 4-7 footers to not three putt. I guess it's really a lag putt problem with the chipping and pitching. That's about it as far as my golf game. I played more this year so I would like to continue to play as much as possible.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Finally had some time to sit down and think about this. I have three main goals for the year, these are more results-oriented:

• Get my handicap under 5 and keep it under 5.
  • Win a gross event at my club.
  • Get selected for the 2019 Newport Cup, assuming one happens.

I have a couple more process-oriented goals that I think will help me achieve those goals above. In way, these might be more important because successfully doing them will make accomplishing my main goals easier:

• Starting in March (when courses start to be more playable here), devote at least 50% of my practice time to short game or putting.
  • When it's not the week of a gross tournament, when I work on my long game, devote my practice time to working on my priority piece and not just beating balls.

I am probably an outlier with my short game and putting. I'm pretty bad with those, compared to my long game. I need to devote more practice time to those. 50% is probably too little practice for them to be honest, but I want to have an achievable goal. 70% isn't achievable for me. I strongly prefer the driving range to the putting or chipping green. I won't want to go practice if I can't get to the driving range a decent amount.

The second point there is that I tend to spend too much time just hitting balls without any thought but seeing what my ball flight is. I think that inhibits me from progressing with my swing as much as I should. While I think that's still useful practice, especially right before a tournament when I need to know what my long game looks like, I do it too much. I can be more effective at practice by working on my priority piece, slowing down, and hitting fewer balls.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

After adding up my score at one of the tougher local courses (Shot a 94) the other day I decided to make a set of goals for 2019.  My round the other day consisted of two quads and a triple.  Just eliminating them to a regular bogey I'd have shot an 86.  I made horrendous decisions off the tee and on my 2nd shots on par 5's.

One way to help eliminate some of the mess would be to gain some distance by training my body (strength and flexibility  -  see Goal #1).  Another way to potentially turn some (alot) of bogeys into pars would also be to work on my 60 yards and in shots.  If I could drop just 3 strokes from my never ending string of bogeys now I'm staring at low 80's.

I truly feel that horrible decisions and short game add up to close to 10 strokes.  Not because I can't strike the ball moderately well (compared to normal weekend hacks).  Simply because I pull the driver out on the medium par 5's, when I know at this point I'm not reaching it in two anyway.  I should be hitting 3w off the tee, and clubbing down on my approach to 125 (my most consistent distance).  Instead I take my most inconsistent club out and leave myself in a world of hurt because I hit it 280 a few weeks ago ONE TIME.

1.  Increase my clubhead speed by 10%. I feel this is an attainable goal.

• Swing Speed Trainer
  • DDP Yoga

2.  Spend at least 2 hours per week working on shots from 60 yards in (where mine and pretty much everyone else's game needs improvement yet most of us completely overlook, including myself).

3.  Find a small c.c. driver (Checking out some Big Bertha Minis right now actually).  I love hitting the old school 90's versions of drivers.  

4.  Learn more about the mental approach to the game so that I can eliminate BAD DECISIONS off the tee.

In a nutshell, I want to turn 90 into 80, and I think this is a difficult yet achievable goal.  

2019 Break the 85-hump...set sights on 80! I have broken the 90-hump a handful of times in 2018, but my best score is still an 86 so rather than mentally trying to break 80, I'm gonna lower the hurdle and try to break 85 in 2019. If it happens and happens again, I'll lower it back down to 80.

How to get there...

- listen to my swing coach, do the exercises, and apply the lessons to my "game swing"

- ONLY focused practice time at home and at the range

- hit more fairways with driver, still my #1 problem

- Minimum 30-minute backyard routine every night that I'm home:10-minutes putting, 10-minutes chipping from 20-30' shooting for a 5' circle around the pin, 10-minutes full swing into net with different clubs, add 10-20 minute with driver into net whenever possible.

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

My goals are to excel in competition in 2019.   I was one of those club-in-hand-at-2 individuals.  My father gave me a cut down 8 iron from the 50s.  I've quit a few times since then.  The last time i Quit was in 2013.  I didn't touch my clubs for about 5 years.  I picked them back up (my 2010 710 AP2s) in March of 2018.   I invested in an equipment overhaul and finally got equipment that suits me.  

A close family friend of mine has a golf studio with a trackman in it.  He introduced me to that technology a few months ago and since then i have been working in and out of the studio with him on wedges and irons; mainly distance control.   As i write this I hold a 1.4 index, but i feel confident that it will drop in the coming months.  

I am doing something to work on my game every day.  Whether it be a short wedge session or 18 holes.  Just something to keep sharp.  I am lucky to have this opportunity to work on my game at this point in my life (I am 34) As cliche as it sounds,  It is a lifelong dream of mine to play at a high level and I am finally taking it seriously.  The most important aspect regarding my practice, and everyone else practice for that matter is the Quality of the practice,  not the duration.  Practice should always have a direction and a goal for the session. I get a lot more done that way.  Every practice session begins with putting and ends with wedges.  I am heading into 2019 with more confidence than Ive ever had.  I have many tournaments and qualifiers on the docket for 2019.  I am glad I got the chance to share my story with TST and  I look forward to sharing my experiences with all you guys.  

4 hours ago, mz975d said:

My goals are to excel in competition in 2019.   I was one of those club-in-hand-at-2 individuals.  My father gave me a cut down 8 iron from the 50s.  I've quit a few times since then.  The last time i Quit was in 2013.  I didn't touch my clubs for about 5 years.  I picked them back up (my 2010 710 AP2s) in March of 2018.   I invested in an equipment overhaul and finally got equipment that suits me.  

A close family friend of mine has a golf studio with a trackman in it.  He introduced me to that technology a few months ago and since then i have been working in and out of the studio with him on wedges and irons; mainly distance control.   As i write this I hold a 1.4 index, but i feel confident that it will drop in the coming months.  

I am doing something to work on my game every day.  Whether it be a short wedge session or 18 holes.  Just something to keep sharp.  I am lucky to have this opportunity to work on my game at this point in my life (I am 34) As cliche as it sounds,  It is a lifelong dream of mine to play at a high level and I am finally taking it seriously.  The most important aspect regarding my practice, and everyone else practice for that matter is the Quality of the practice,  not the duration.  Practice should always have a direction and a goal for the session. I get a lot more done that way.  Every practice session begins with putting and ends with wedges.  I am heading into 2019 with more confidence than Ive ever had.  I have many tournaments and qualifiers on the docket for 2019.  I am glad I got the chance to share my story with TST and  I look forward to sharing my experiences with all you guys.  

With that 1.4 index you are right on the borderline of being able to play in the U.S. Open Qualifier in your area.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, GolfLug said:

SWING:

I may add further specifics later but my overall 'goal' this year is to stay dedicated to my backyard net-practice which I begun couple of months ago. I have identified two major fault tendencies that affect BS and one that affects impact. I can honestly say that if I manage to conquer these regressive faults then it will be a huge win for 2019 all by itself. 

PLAY:

No 'goals' for amount of play but would be really nice if I can check off one bucket list course in 2019. Have a few in mind to pick from but not decided. 

One important addition - Take up a serious study of rules of golf. I have already started a proper study and registered for a rules workshop in March and looking forward to it greatly. 

Vishal S.

Golf

- Find time here and there to practice/play on the sim.

- Consistently start the ball a couple of degrees to the right.  My stock shot is the draw, but I can get a little steep and pull draw it.  Shorter clubs miss greens and go too far and the long clubs don't stay airborne when I pull draw it.  

- I pretty much have my carry yardages and typical misses, but I'd like to go through the process of making my shot eggs like in LSW.  

- Hope to maintain average ball speeds with these clubs as a way to monitor my striking: driver at 155 mph, 3w 148, 2i at 135, 4i at 133, 5i at 129, 6i at 125, 7i at 120, 8i at 115, 9i at 109, PW at 103.

- STOP HITTING DRIVER OUT OF THE HEEL.  I think I'm swinging out a bit and my arms run away from me trying to that Rory draw with upward AoA and push draw, resulting in a heel hit.  Going to try addressing a farther away tee and hitting the inside tee peg or feel like I'm hitting the toe to remedy this.  This really only happens with my woods, but it's worse with driver than 3w.

Fitness

- Continue my great progress from the past year.  This year, however, I'm focusing on losing some body fat by eating properly.  I like to eat.  A LOT.  I'd like to get down to about 200 lbs.

- Modified 531 program:

M- barbell row, deadlift, bench press, pull-up variations (each @ 7 reps/60% training max, this is one circuit, do this 3x).  THEN, deadlift 531 protocol.  

T- power clean, overhead press, squat, pull-variations (same as above).  Then, overhead press 531 protocol.  Then superspeed.

W- bb row, dl, bp, pu (same).  Then, bp 531.  

R- pc, op, sq, pu (same).  Then sq 531.  Then superspeed

F- off

Sat- 531 row, 531 pc, superspeed.

- Hope to add at least 75 lbs to dl and sq this year.

- Superspeed training.  I'd like to hit a PR of 140 mph with the green stick.  Normal swing.

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

With that 1.4 index you are right on the borderline of being able to play in the U.S. Open Qualifier in your area.

I haven't decided if I am going to pull the trigger on that yet.  I am doing SCGA Am and Mid Am qualifying for sure.  And California State Am Qual.   I am actually doing a pre qual for genesis open in feb.  Thats a big step for me to try I am very excited about it.

My 2019 goals include but are not limited too...actually being able to a full round of 18 holes. My wife and I are expecting twin boys this coming Friday and I expect that I will be limited on the green this year. Lucky I do have a quick 9 hole course close to my house so I'm hoping the I will get the go ahead to run down there. I look forward to my boys and I hope  that my game doesn't change much if i don't get much time in this year. 

I don't have much to loose but I feel like I improved each time i was at the course or range this past year. I was able to break 100 this year which was a huge victory for me. 

My HI has seen steady improvement to 13+ in the last 3 years .   That's about 4 - 5 stroke improvement.    My 2019 golf goal is to finish the year with 11+ HI.   In order to achieve the goal, I intend to do whatever I have been doing in the last 3 years: play often, enjoy every outing, continue with golf specific workout, practice various aspects of golf game, ....   I can't think of anything new to introduce to my routine since things have been going well.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Goal´s for 2019:
1 Keep my handicap under 4 in order to be able to compete in every scratch midAm and Am tournaments.
2 Learn how to hit decent full mid/long irons from the deck
3 Recover at least half of the 14 kilograms I lost this year. (healt issues)

How?
1 Playing once or twice each week it´s enough.
2 Hitting the driving range and figure out a way to hit them and test it on the course. (Over and over again till I succed)
3 Eating more 

Be committed to *every* shot.

I'm going to do this by picking a target, using a single swing thought addressing my most consistent mechanical flaw (left shoulder down), and not hitting until I get to 100% 'Yes' in my mind with no expectations beyond that, no attachments to result other than getting to where my ball is and starting the process again, and then again. Always positive. 

That and try to keep curses per hole ratio below 3:1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2019 Goals

Start practicing Mon, Wed, Friday devoting 2 of those days to short game and 1 day on the range. Allotting 75 percent of the short game days to putting and 25 percent of that to 3-5 foot putts. 50 percent of range day will be spent on 100 yard shots. This is really a weakness of mine. Playing every Saturday and possibly a Sunday every so often. With setting this practice schedule, the goal is to drop 5 strokes by the start of 2020 🤞

Note: This thread is 1617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!