IGNORED

What are Your 2019 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lots of changes.

Finally booked a titleist fitting (full bag).  5 yrs with the blades has been fun but roller coaster.   My driver, 3 and 5 are happy enough, the vokeys are staying but the mid irons are often fat.

I don’t practice enough and don’t have patience to hit blades.  But I’m keeping them and will probably add ap3s. 

I want to get my 20hcp down to 15 by yrs end.

Having been playing the game for 8 months now after a 25+ year break (44yrs old now) I have managed to get down to a 12 handicap already (where I was at 16yrs old).

This was with eBay used clubs so have committed and had a fitting for a full new bag. 

My aim is now to get a sub 10 handicap and break 80 consistently. Have had 2 sub 80 rounds and now average low-mid 80’s. 

Not sure if these cotnradict each other really, but......

I want to improve to a 15 HI while not caring about my score as much(20.2 from Golf Canada after a few rounds this year and most rounds played alone, 17.2 from Gamegolf)

I've been listening to a lot of The Fried Egg podcast and a lot of the tidbits from episodes with Tom Doak and an episode with Ran Morissettt has slightly changed how I approach my rounds so far. Basically, the tip of avoiding being the "scorecard-and-pencil guy standing on the green has GREATLY improved my psych. Another aspect that has made me enjoy my rounds a lot more now has been playing alternative versions other than Stroke play, especially playing Par against the course with my handicap.

I'm now only writing my scorecard down when I get home, and its honestly helped my mental game so much.

So in a way, I think I can improve already to a 15 HI as I'm approaching the game with less anger and its already working. Its only 2 weeks into a 6 month season but I'm already shooting like I was 5 months into the season last year. 

As well, I've come to terms with my driver being too wild for most holes, and will be applying LSW moreso to my tee shot decisions which will help my score I believe. I will be losing distance, but will be avoiding stroke-and-distance a lot more. I will even start a spreadsheet charting my results of driver vs other-club to see how the scores differ.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

1. commit to practicing something every day, even if it's just mirror drills or flexibility or grip practice.

2. commit to keeping score when I play, which probably won't be as often as I'd like since it's so hard to get to a course living in the city of Chicago, and having family commitments most weekends.

3. commit to my lessons; I like my current instructor for the most part and the location is as convenient as could be (1.5 blocks away) but I may also reach out to a guy who's listed at the 5sk site.

4. result-oriented-goal: break 100, or break 50 over 9 since playing 9 is easier for me to do on the regular.  If I can get some consistency in my swing, I feel like my good swings are at the point where this should be more than doable, what will kill me are blow up holes where I shank/skull multiple shots or play achilles and the hare on my pitch/chip and get it halfway to the hole 4 times.  I've shot 55 through 9 before, and that was with a significantly worse swing and no concept of course management.

Improve my driver launch angle

Play a nine under 40

Have more rounds under 90

Increase my GIR ratio (currently having around 4 GIR)

Nice to have : Break 80

Edited by Benit0

I want to win a small handful of events in the net division, if i won the gross division that would be great. continue to grow my blog and socials so i can give prizes to followers.  continue to upload great golf media

I'm going to try a process oriented system this year instead of a results oriented system. I've seen the 6-6-6 system for breaking 80. 6 GIRs; 6 up and downs; and 6 "birthday holes" where you give yourself a break from the stress. 

At my level 6 GIRs and 6 up and downs would be a bloody miracle. So I'll make a variation of it. 4-4-10. 4 GIRs; 4 up and downs; and 10 birthday holes.

I rarely have blow up holes these days. I've learned to take S&D if I hit into really bad trouble and just take the DB. So I figure if I can get 4 GIRs, that gives me a chance of being even or -1 for four holes. I usually end up with one birdie so let's say -1. Now let's say I go +2 for the four holes designated "Up and Down." That's +1 for 8 holes on the course. Not bad, eh? Let's say those were all par 4s. That's 33 strokes. If I get 55 for the other 10 holes, that's 5.5 strokes per hole. Four of them are par 5s, Four of them are par 3s. Two of them are par 4s. I would have just shot 88 and I have a 19 HC.

That's my goal this year. 4 GIRs per round; 4 up and downs per round; 10 birthday holes with no blowups.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I am a 6 HDCP and a short hitter. 63 years old and 150 lbs.
I never practice.
My iron play and short game are good.
My goal is to hit better drives and make more putts.

I changed drivers from the Ping G30 to the Ping G400 Max. Then changed shafts from the Diamana Blue to an Oban Kiyoshi HB which I am hitting straighter and longer.

I am using a new putter. The Odyssey O-Works 1W and have been making more putts.
So far, so good and I am now practicing.

Edited by chop

My original goal was to take golf seriously again this year, for the first time in ages. Plan was to get lessons, get fitted, get new clubs, and get a handicap this summer. Then I got rear-ended on the freeway, and my left oblique was injured, which is a bad place to be injured for golfing. Now my goal is to heal up, resume lessons, get clubs, and hopefully be able to walk the course by the end of the summer. Given how long things are taking to heal, it’s gonna be close. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:46 AM, Jrwatkins7 said:

1-  Finally get fit for clubs! My HiBore is getting pretty long in the tooth.   Club Champion full bag fitting next week... if nothing else, it should be fun with all the "toys" they will have to play with.

2-  Break par at least once.  Shot a couple of 74s in 2017... and a couple of 73s in 2018, and then to finish off the year I finally shot a 72 (winter rules still count, right?)

3-  Be competitive in the club championship this year.  Maybe I can't beat them, but I want to hang with the big boys for two rounds.  If only I can stay out of my own head, I know that I can do it.  (Any suggestions on how to not think too much?)

4-  Play and practice as much and possible.  Hopefully there will be a couple of golf trips in the cards for me this year as well.  Reno and Bandon are in the works.

5-  Keep my weight in check.  I lost 120 lbs last year and have now gained about 30 back.  I need to find a middle ground to maintain. This, I think, will be harder than breaking par. 

6-  ...one more I heard on a podcast this week.  Birdie every hole on my home course this year.  This will be fun to track.  #2 and 12... I dunno.

Five five month check in...

#1. Done ...  Club Champion was a neat experience, but if your swing is awful that day, fitting is pretty much a waste of time.  That day I was pulling everything 30 yards dead left.  So no real good info with which I could base new club purchases.  I ended up buying a “new” D,3w and 2 hybrids on  callawaygolfpreowned.com  for less than $600.  The driver is working out great and I am still finding my way with the others.

#2 ... the main reason I am posting tonight...  shot a one under 70 today at a course I’ve never played.  Woohoo!!!

#4. Definitely have gotten a lot of golf in so far this year.  Today was the 25th score I have posted  in three months.  Bandon trip is not happening, but Reno is in 3 weeks!

#5.. still no movement on my weight... still trying to figure out how to drop a little wight and keep it off without going to extremes, but I’m still trying...

#6...  still have only birdied about half of the holes on my home course.

Goals: 

• Shoot under par 4 times.
  • Increase swing speed by 5MPH
  • Win 1 tournament
  • Have a committed routine for all 18 holes

I shot even par twice 2 years ago.  I shot under par twice last year.  This year I hope to double it.  Problem is, my home course closed down so I will have a significant amount of less rounds this year to play.  So, I'll be happy if I can shoot under par at least once this year.

My current swing speed, last I checked, was 105MPH for the driver.  I purchased the Superspeed golf training sticks and we'll see how much I improve with that.

I'm playing in less tournaments this year, so I hope to win at least one in the league I'm in.  Problem is that they use handicaps and it's very difficult to win when these new players come in with a high handicap and constantly win.  But, I'm in this league mainly for the cheaper outings and they are during the weekday.  So a day at the course always beats a day in the office.

My problem with my game is mainly based on performing my routine.  When I don't perform my routine properly, I might as well have not done any routine and hit the ball.  I started a goal to nail my routine down and I find it very difficult to maintain that over the course of 18 holes.  I seem to be able to manage it up to 9 holes so far.  So I'm pretty optimistic about nailing it down for the full 18 for this year.

• I want to be better than I was in 2018.
  • I want to break 90 consistently 
Edited by phedrick
  • :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

I am getting back into the game after awhile away from it, though to be honest I was never much of a player to begin with.

1) Take a couple of lessons - There are several local courses that offer instruction

2) Work on the basic fundamentals of my swing working towards consistency over distance - focus on the driving range at least once a week and lessons

3) Putting, putting, putting - Again, lessons, also look into Aimpoint.

I have one major priority?  Find a way to play and not be in pain without going all in on pain meds.  My right ring finger hurts like crazy after about 5 holes and I could not finish a round.  Since it's well into the year I will post my progress and results to date.

1st step: Change to a arthritic grip (bigger around) - Complete and it helped but not nearly enough

2nd:  Try wearing a glove on the right hand... I used baseball batters gloves since it was thicker and provided more protection.  This would almost get me through a round but not quite.  The last few holes were still a struggle.

3rd:  Added Ibuprofen, 800mg and it helps but I did not solve the problem.  I don't like taking meds so i am not taking them.  

4th: Tried CBD oil... somewhat effective but not worth the trouble

5th Completely changing my grip.  This is not a quick fix. I don't even need the glove now and can play witoutt pain but man, it's hard to hit a ball this way.  I have gone to full baseball grip and I can hit balls all day long with little hand pain but this is going to be a long road back to par golf this way.  Oh well, at least I am playing.

Goal number Two:  Fit my clubs to my swing rather than my swing to my clubs.  This sounds easy enough but when you live where I do, there are not many places to go for fitting properly.  My set was supposedly fit to my swing but I swear they weren't, I believe that I had changed my swing to make the standard too long shaft fit me. So:

1st: I cut my shafts down at the grips to make the lie match my grip and height rather than get the lie changed.  I have always felt these clubs, Callaways, were too long in the shaft. 

Results to date.  I am hitting more greens than ever because I am hitting the straighter when I catch them clean.  Now, to get this grip worked out so I can catch them clean.  That may take a little while.  I do hit them a few yards shorter but that's no worries provided I know what they do.  I just play 1/2 club more than I previously would pick.

Edited by Hot Rock
horrible English...embarrassed even me

Note: This thread is 1617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!