nevets88

Do You "Slow Drop" the Flagstick?

Do You "Slow Drop" the Flagstick?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you soften the fall of the flagstick to the ground?

• Whenever I can
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

36 posts in this topic Last Reply

So NoLayingUp says they've never or is it rarely, seen this. I think I recall seeing people doing it, but it's something I do, so I don't think anything of it and don't really note it. But hey, if The Big Cat is doing it, shouldn't you? The Tweet thread is interesting reading.

My reaction to this is, wait, what, you've never seen someone do this? How long have you been playing?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I generally dislike dropping the flagstick from any distance.  Sometimes I'll do just that, use my putter to lower it most of the way.  Other times, I'll grab the flag itself and lower it down suspended from the flag until its fairly close to the ground.  I can't imagine that dropping it causes any problem or damage, but somehow it just seems like the wrong thing to do.

I would have to ask why? Does dropping the pin from 3 feet above the ground harm the green? I mean its not like I am throwing it like a javelin across the green. 

Using Tiger Woods as an example of how to act is a bit dangerous...I like to tip my waitstaff, and I cannot afford all those hookers. Just sayin' 😜

I always slow drop the flagstick. I just slide my fingers along it until I get to the flag and then lower it by the flag until it's fully extended before dropping.

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

I always slow drop the flagstick. I just slide my fingers along it until I get to the flag and then lower it by the flag until it's fully extended before dropping.

Yeah, I do this too, although i just grab the flag, lower as low as possible, and then I'm just dropping it like a foot from the ground.

12 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I would have to ask why? Does dropping the pin from 3 feet above the ground harm the green? I mean its not like I am throwing it like a javelin across the green. 

Using Tiger Woods as an example of how to act is a bit dangerous...I like to tip my waitstaff, and I cannot afford all those hookers. Just sayin' 😜

Some people let it drop from upright position. That, I noticed.

I posted this to reddit too. Let's see what saucy replies it gets.

I lower it by the flag, and sometimes just drop it from higher up when I'm doing so on the fringe. I drop it from whatever height will not cause damage.

That's why I don't drop it with my putter - something could scrape my putter and cause damage… to my putter.

I didn't know exactly how to answer the poll.    I never use my putter but almost always use the flag itself to lower it close to the ground .  

I will typically raise my foot up a bit to catch the flag as it is falling, then let it roll onto the ground/green from there. 

I just drop it with out damaging the green. Usually near the fringe. 

lower it by the flag, sometimes catch it with my foot - apparently like the rest of us

much better than my old style of tossing it about like lawn darts....

Edited by rehmwa

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I didn't know exactly how to answer the poll.    I never use my putter but almost always use the flag itself to lower it close to the ground .  

Yeah, good point. The poll is not very well worded.

I voted "never" because I never use my putter to lower the flagstick to the ground.

@nevets88 how about re-wording the poll question so that the answers make sense?

Same here, I can't say I've ever used my putter to lower the flag down because I wouldn't want to accidentally damage my putter.

That said I always grab it by the flag and just lay it down gently, I don't just let it fall like a downed tree onto the green.

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

@nevets88 how about re-wording the poll question so that the answers make sense?

I modified the question, it's more general.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I modified the question, it's more general.

Sorry to be that guy, but who would vote for "yeah I sometimes cause damage to the green" in the revised question?

I would have voted for "always lay the stick down, gently"

At some point it time, I may have used my putter to lower it.

Many sticks today have the reflectors about midshaft.
Those can leave a small indentation in soft greens when dropped.

It annoys me when guys simply stand the stick on end and release it. 

I'll drop it off the green surface, but always just set it down gently when on the green. That putter trick is used by two types of golfers. Those who have bad backs (Woods) and old people.