Sign in to follow this  
scotth

Will Golf Be the Next Sport to Require Helmets?

Helmets in Golf  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will Golf Require Helmets?

• Yes
    • No

23 posts / 1708 viewsLast Reply

The thread title is the name of an interesting, if not alarming article that popped into my inbox earlier today.  

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/are-helmets-in-the-future-golf

I don't see it happening, but if it did not sure how much golf I would be playing after that.  Thoughts?  Comments?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Golf has always had helmets.  Once upon a time they were cloth, or felt, and these days they are called ball caps.  I can see an era where your head gear features a HUD.  If that qualifies as a helmet...so be it.  

Helmets in golf?  Nope, don't think so. I'd probably make $100. 00 selling fur lined spoons before that happens. 

It’s gonna take a hell of a lot lawsuits. Most of us alive today would never see this day. However the grounds keepers at my course do wear hard shelled sun hats while working. 

Why not ,I could get a really heavy one which will stop me looking up and topping the ball . Wouldn't have to shout FORE! with as much force knowing the guys up front are protected and will be able to stick my head in the many bushes my balls end up in without face getting scratched  up .

They would be adapted in the future to include GPS ,a drinks wagon locator and a self exploding device if you register a 10 on any hole . (hey that 4 foot putt for a 9 will take on a whole different meaning  💥)

Edited by dogburger

I know i joked about it in another thread but it's never going to happen, at least not in our life times.

I dont think it would benefit the players/caddies from a safety standpoint much.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

Helmets in golf?  Nope, don't think so. I'd probably make $100. 00 selling fur lined spoons before that happens. 

It would need to be fake fur, need to be animal friendly and all that ;-)

This just doesn’t seem plausible?!?

The story went on to say that golf is statistically a greater risk to participants than rugby, and that 16 to 41 percent of amateur golfers (presumably depending on the study, though none were cited) suffer some sort of golf-related injury each year.

Who the heck does these studies?

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ever heard of the OSHA cowboy?

Image result for osha cowboy

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Lol it says no studies were cited.

I was going to break it down further but I don't think I need to 😜

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

I've played both. Rugby is by far more hazardous to cause injuries.

Full disclosure, I'm just now reading the article (can't pass up an opportunity to share the OSHA Cowboy).  What an incredibly stupid piece.  It acknowledges the sensationalized nature of the original story, then proceeds to go further down the sensationalization rabbit hole.  How on god's green earth can you even begin to consider rugby to actually cause a higher rate of injury?  The only remote possibility is to expand the scope of golf injury to include a slight strain from not warming up, blisters from new shoes, and blackout drunks falling off a cart. Even then, an inkling of common sense makes it obvious that you're going to get far more banged up over time playing rugby than golf.   

"Is the course you play hazardous to your health?"  Give me a break.  Might as well not get out of bed.  This kind of stuff bugs me...In my desk I currently have a utility knife with a rounded blade that can't cut for shit because the plant I work at doesn't allow pointed blades or personal pocket knives.  Meanwhile I go home and cook with a 9" chef's knife (which I keep as sharp as possible) that could easily sever my finger.  I get the importance of safety and all, but if you need to be spoonfed safety, you're probably already cozying up quite nicely with Mr. Darwin.

Author either has no common sense or needed to meet a quota...