yankee777

Prescription Sunglasses

21 posts / 1285 viewsLast Reply

Looking to buy  prescription sunglasses for next season . Has anyone had success in finding frames large enough so as not to be a distraction when looking down at the ball?  Think something almost goggle like might work . Don't know if anything compatible for golf is out there, that still looks good..

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, yankee777 said:

Looking to buy  prescription sunglasses for next season . Has anyone had success in finding frames large enough so as not to be a distraction when looking down at the ball?  Think something almost goggle like might work . Don't know if anything compatible for golf is out there, that still looks good..

You can get sports sunglasses like Oakleys with prescription lenses. Flak Jackets and Half Jackets are pretty popular styles and they don't have bottom frames.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, yankee777 said:

55 minutes ago, billchao said:

You can get sports sunglasses like Oakleys with prescription lenses. Flak Jackets and Half Jackets are pretty popular styles and they don't have bottom frames.

Oakleys with Prizm lenses are excellent. They are not cheap, but give excellent contrast. The lenses are not that dark either, so you can wear them when it is overcast. I use them for mountain biking as well even when trails are dark. I have the Flak 2.0 and don't even notice them when I play. There is not frame on the bottom, so it doesn't interfere.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/lens-guide/prizm-golf

2 hours ago, yankee777 said:

I got a pair of Oakleys this year, and I love them.  My prescription is too strong for some of their more popular models (Flak, Half Jacket).  I went with the Turbine frame, and they're great. Field of view is really good.  I also looked at the Holbrook and Gascan frames--my fashion coordinator liked the look of the Turbine better.

If you're government/military/responder/veteran, see my post in a similar thread for a discount Oakley gives (not as many style options, but good pricing:

20 minutes ago, yankee777 said:

Is there one color lense for golf that works best with the Oakleys ?

I got Prizm Golf (non polarized). I think somebody on the forum said he used Prizm baseball (field? Infield?) and liked it.

I went to a local national chain that carries them (the place I usually buy my glasses—they get plenty of regular business from me) so I could see the difference between their lenses. 

Edited by Missouri Swede

7 hours ago, yankee777 said:

Is there one color lense for golf that works best with the Oakleys ?

I would think that a color more like "shooters" glasses might be the best. This is more of a yellowish tint rather than a dark tint. They stop glare so that your eyes don't suffer on bright days, but can also be worn on overcast days. Their main advantage is that they sharpen contrast like crazy! 

On 11/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

This is more of a yellowish tint rather than a dark tint. They stop glare so that your eyes don't suffer on bright days, but can also be worn on overcast days. Their main advantage is that they sharpen contrast like crazy! 

@yankee777 if you wear glasses take a look at Eagle Eyes Fit-On on Google and Amazon. I have those and another pair for glare-free night driving. They work! Best, -Marv

I wear a pair of prescription Maui Jim Ho’Okipa rimless sunglasses with Bronze lens; they are great at suppressing glare both on the course on the road.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, easyjay39402 said:

I wear a pair of prescription Maui Jim Ho’Okipa rimless sunglasses with Bronze lens; they are great at suppressing glare both on the course on the road.

I'll second this.  I have the same ones, and I'm happy with them.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, easyjay39402 said:

9 minutes ago, beaureed445 said:

I'll second this.  I have the same ones, and I'm happy with them.

My wife has these and swears by them.    I have a pair of prescription sun glasses with the bronze lenses and love them.  

Used to wear Oakley but no longer. Great when new BUT every lens I ever used delaminated in about a year, requiring a purchase of repacement lenses.  Delamination is and will continue to be an issue with Oakley’s polycarboniate lenses .At over $100 for repacements, the ongoing cost was ridiculous.  Prescription lenses would be much more expensive.  I switched to Maui Jim’s with lightweight glass lenses .  Have had two plus years with no issues whatsoever.  You can get them with prescription lenses.  A higher initial cost, but very well worth it.

9 hours ago, ScottyT said:

Used to wear Oakley but no longer. Great when new BUT every lens I ever used delaminated in about a year, requiring a purchase of repacement lenses.  Delamination is and will continue to be an issue with Oakley’s polycarboniate lenses .At over $100 for repacements, the ongoing cost was ridiculous.  Prescription lenses would be much more expensive.  I switched to Maui Jim’s with lightweight glass lenses .  Have had two plus years with no issues whatsoever.  You can get them with prescription lenses.  A higher initial cost, but very well worth it.

Would you mind describing what you mean by delamination? What delaminated? Were they no longer as dark, or did they just lose the anti-fog coating?

I’ve had Rx Oakley’s for 25 years and never had delamination. I’ve had a couple of issues that were replaced under warranty. Their customer service has been excellent.

I have some Rx Maui Jim's (I think they're called Black Coral), but my prescription is really high (over -5) and they can only go to -4.5 or 5. So they aren't perfect and they also look weird toward the edges. Lenses with wrap are going to look distorted at that strength. I tried wearing them for golf and it was hard to hit the ball. 

I might look into some frames that look more like regular glasses, like the Ray Ban Wayfarers. One of my friends has those and he's also highly myopic, and seems to be happy with them. We probably have 3 or 4 months here in Ohio before I need to think about wearing sunglasses again, though.