IGNORED

Ever Played While It Was Snowing?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Play While It Snows  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever played while it was snowing?

• Yes
    • Yes, but it was just a few flakes blowing in the air
    • No
    • Something else - please explain

I was staring out the window watching the snow swirl around Ann Arbor.  It reminded me of the rare times I have played while it was snowing.  Of course, I would never start a round when it was snowing but sometimes during the "shoulder" seasons in Michigan one can be on the course in a snow storm.  The most recent episode was about a year and a half ago.  It actually was not snow but graupel.  It was a nice day, sunny and above 40 degrees.  Suddenly a black cloud passed over and a graupel shower hit.  It was really coming down and began to build up on the grassy surfaces.  Then 2-3 minutes later it stopped and within another couple minutes the white greens became green again.

Many years ago we were out on the course and a real snow shower hit.  We had to break out the orange balls and putting became impossible (the ball rolls up the snow like a dinner plate on its side, then falls over).  It is amazing how quickly the snow builds up on one's spikes.

So, who else has played in a snow storm?

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll run out there if its 40 degrees or better. Like your experience, it doesn't always stay that way by the time you finish.

It's never accumulated a lot, so the main thing is usually maintaining feeling in my hands.

My home course is actually pretty in a moody sort of way when it's dark and snowy/rainy. It's finally a time when nobody else will be out there, so I enjoy it if the wind isn't too bad.

I played in the snow when I lived in Colorado. I had to make the most out of that dreadful place. But Colorado cold was much more doable than Michigan cold. It was dry and not face cracking, wet death cold and much prettier than Detroit for sure. The snow was patchy enough to find my ball. But the ball pretty much just bounced on the frozen greens.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Flurries? Yes, maybe once a year or so.

An actual snow storm? Never. I'm sure it will happen someday, but once you can't putt a ball (or find a ball, for that matter), I'm not interested. If it's sticking, I'm not going to be playing golf.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

We played once when there was snow (about half an inch, if I recall correctly) on the ground. 
Bought pink balls in the pro shop especially. 

It was fun, we had a laugh, for about 3 holes. Then we headed into the clubhouse for a drink.

Also played a few holes once when the ground was frozen. My longest drives ever. Allthough it wasn't easy to get the tee in the ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I played a quite a bit during snow.  One time in Colorado, we teed-off when it was cloudy but then after about 4 or 5th hole, it started to snow.  We played on for another couple of holes until the greens got covered in snow.  We could not putt as the golfball turned into a snowball during a putt.  We had to quit after that.

When I visit Korea for a meeting with clients, I treat them to a round of golf.  These guys are die hard golf fanatics.  We played when it was 0-5 *F.  Sometimes the courses are covered with snow, but they actually have people clear out the fairways and greens so that we can actually play golf.  Nuts!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yes I have. Up in Wells Evada. It was late fall, and it was the last day the course was open, before the owners were going to head south for the winter. 

Had a pretty good northwest wind putting the chill factor some where aroung 20*F. Maybe lower . Blowing snow, with occassional icy rain. Ice was forming on the golf carts, our beards, outer wear, and head covers.It was frigg'n cold.

My wife thought she was going have treat some of us for frost bite.

It was family get together. Some folks drove down from Ontario, Oregon. Others from other near by areas, and Wells was near half way for everyone to meet up. 

Golf scores were nothing to brag about. We really had no business being out there in that type of weather. With all the clothes we were wearing, 150 yard drives were excellent. Anything into the wind maxxed out around 120 yards. Putts were on frozen greens, as were the shots off the fairways. We did get 18 holes in. Iirc I took home the appropriate bragging rights. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Yes, I and my buddies have been hit with quite a few snow squalls. Some of them have been really nasty. Have also played courses where all the water hazards were completely frozen. Actually bounced a few balls off the ice and onto the green.

Back in the 90's I lived in Chicagoland. A course not far from me used to host "The Chili Open". It was a chili cook-off/golf tournament held the second Saturday in January no matter what the weather. Some years the weather would actually be decent and you could play somewhat normally. One year we played with more than foot of snow on the ground. Some folks actually drilled holes in their golf balls and put streamers on them so the streamer would stick up out of the snow. If you didn't have a streamer you'd have to go look for where you ball made a hole in the snow and then clear the snow away and give your ball a whack. 

It was tons of fun. It wasn't great for your game, but more about eating chili and drinking. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

High school...golf team went down to Cape Cod in May...we got a storm!!!  It's still a famous storm are here in Massachusetts.

we got 4 holes in and had to quit, ball wouldn't roll on the greens.

They drop me off ar home and I'm walking up the driveway with my clubs and shoes...my father is in the middle of the driveway shoveling.

• Like 1

I don't think I've played in a full snowstorm, but I've definitely played through flurries.  In fact, when a few TSTers visited northern Virginia in April, 2016 we had flurries while we played.  In March 2017, for our yearly St Patrick's day event, we had a little more than flurries. The quicker players got done with minimal problems, but the stragglers had to deal with significant snow on the greensIMG_0880.jpg

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Never played in the snow, but I have played a few times in below freezing weather. One of the guys I played with carried an ice pick so we can put our tees in the ground.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

50+ years ago, snow began to fall just after we teed off on the 18th.  It was an early April in Wisconsin.  We finished just as they closed the course as unplayable.  Only thing I recall clearly was singing "Let It Snow" in the clubhouse afterwards.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I remember playing on New Years Eve (day) in Michigan and getting to about #16 when the snow started. By the time we got off 18 is was starting to accumulate. By the time I got home (about 30 Minutes), there was about an inch on the ground. Pretty good blizzard ensued.  When we started, it was in the upper 40's and the sun was shining. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 1959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!