IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Overrated/Underrated #7: Playing a premium urethane covered golf ball (Prov1, Chromesoft, etc)

Overrated IMO. I just don’t think enough gofers are good enough for it to matter. With that said, I think I’m gonna pick me up a box of Snell reds for Christmas. Just to give them a try. Maybe I notice a difference? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I tried a sleeve of the TM TPM5 ball and loved them, but they're as expensive as the ProV1.

FWIW, TP5 and TP5x have been on sale for ~$34.99 for the past couple months from multiple retailers including Taylormade themselves. Brings them much more in line with something like the Snell.

I'm getting a couple dozen of the TP5 for Christmas this year, based on my limited playing with it so far on the course with ones that I have found, I like it more than the Chromesoft and the Diablo Tour which were my primary 2 golf balls this past season.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

20 hours ago, klineka said:

I say overrated in terms of performance between balls within the premium segment, you'll get very similar results between prov1, chromesoft, tp5, snell mtb, etc.

I say underrated when comparing a premium ball to a rock hard low spin ball like a top flite or a noodle.

This is exactly my view. I switch around premium golf balls all the time (even during rounds) and it doesn't make any difference (well anything I notice). Maybe for people who are more mentally attached to a particular brand, it may affect more. I have even gone from a PRoV1x to a Callaway Chrome soft (which is 30-40% cheaper) and barely noticed a great deal of difference. 

However, the difference between a premium ball and a cheap rock is very substantial and I think it is under appreciated by lots of golfers who could benefit. For instance, I see 15 handicappers playing with Top Flight stones in the middle of summer, so I think in cases like this, people could benefit paying a bit more. 

21 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Overrated/Underrated #7: Playing a premium urethane covered golf ball (Prov1, Chromesoft, etc)

I can see where some people would say overrated but in my case it's underrated. I need a ball that has some spin and is soft. Elevated greens that are not as soft with a lot of undulation call for a ball that I can stop as quick as possible (on all shots). I don't want to spend 45.00 per dozen but there are plenty of options out there for far less money that are good balls.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 12/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, NM Golf said:

Alright my turn!

Overrated for most golfers.  I am also surprised that there are some who believe that there are only golf balls designed for the elite or hard rocks that cannot hold a green at all.  The golf ball market place has a lot to offer for golfers of all abilities and at a variety of price points.  As a 16 handicap I have played Prov1, Prov1X, TP5, and have a dozen 4 piece Ksigs that I do not know what to do with.  My swing just does not take advantage of what the urethene balls have to offer and in fact they are a detriment.  Balls like the Top Flite Gamer Soft, Srixon Soft Feel. and DT TruSoft work great for my 67 year old game.    

10 hours ago, Dean Walker said:

PRoV1x to a Callaway Chrome soft (which is 30-40% cheaper)

It is?? Where did you get them (Chrome soft) from for that low a price?

Vishal S.

6 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It is?? Where did you get them (Chrome soft) from for that low a price?

Black friday 2017 chromesofts were buy a dozen get a dozen free.

This year they were $29.99 a dozen I believe. 

Right now they're both on sale for $39.99 from Golf Galaxy, but it does seem like the Chromesofts are typically on sale more often and at a cheaper price point than ProV1s

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

14 minutes ago, klineka said:

Black friday 2017 chromesofts were buy a dozen get a dozen free.

This year they were $29.99 a dozen I believe. 

Right now they're both on sale for $39.99 from Golf Galaxy, but it does seem like the Chromesofts are typically on sale more often and at a cheaper price point than ProV1s

Hmm. Missed it. Never seen them anywhere for less than $39.99. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator

It's been a few days, let alone a few hours, so here's number eight…

Overrated/Underrated #8: Dress Codes

Remember that this isn't a measure of whether it's important or not, but you have to first figure out the relative level of how they're perceived, and then say whether that is over-rated or under-rated.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Its tough, because there are two sides, the conservative and modern style golfers. The conservative is slacks/nice shorts and collared shirt any time you are on the course. More modern style us where what you feel comfortable in and can swing in (jeans, t-shirts, no-shirt, cargo pants/shorts, etc). Its over-rated to wear nice stuff all the time and under-rated to wear whatever you want. There’s a time and place to wear proper golf attire but if you are out casually and at a muni, i think you should be able to wear whatever.

As far as PGA/professionals, I think attire is very slightly over-rated. Nicer shorts should be more acceptable for tournaments, especially in high heat/humidity. I still prefer collared shirts on golf courses as a professional. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Overrated.

If we have decided that golf is an egalitarian sport then we better heed what that means. The population is changing in terms of what is acceptable as social attire and hence in effect, the golf population is changing. I love my 'golf attire' and look forward to putting it on before my rounds but I do not think the dress codes as originally intended are accomplishing what they wanted it to - respect on the course for others and the course and a general gentlemanly or womanly etiquette to is associated with dressing 'properly'.

Really boors are boors and collars are hardly an effective antidote.  

Now I certainly draw the line at torn jeans, sweat pants and 'wife-beaters', kinda stuff you wouldn't wear to school, but turning away someone because of a collarless shirt for what is primarily a sporting out-door activity seems tone-deaf and archaic. It screams - "If you are going to get on our fancy premises you better look the part" - and screams rather loudly at that.

Of course, each course operator is free to make and enforce a dress code they deem it worthy, not unlike restaurants. If I were to put more words in their mouth, it certainly is more of an image thing and the type of crowd they think they are attracting or the atmosphere they are creating. I just don't think they are accomplishing that and what is worse is it simply perpetuates an image of stuffiness that is too high a cost of entry for a very gettable potential golfing population otherwise. 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, phillyk said:

Its tough, because there are two sides, the conservative and modern style golfers. The conservative is slacks/nice shorts and collared shirt any time you are on the course. More modern style us where what you feel comfortable in and can swing in (jeans, t-shirts, no-shirt, cargo pants/shorts, etc). Its over-rated to wear nice stuff all the time and under-rated to wear whatever you want. There’s a time and place to wear proper golf attire but if you are out casually and at a muni, i think you should be able to wear whatever.

As far as PGA/professionals, I think attire is very slightly over-rated. Nicer shorts should be more acceptable for tournaments, especially in high heat/humidity. I still prefer collared shirts on golf courses as a professional. 

I agree completely.   I don't want to see golfers in wife beaters but I don't believe a matching belt would be required either. 

I would have to say OVERRATED

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Underrated - Playing atmosphere is better when other players are neatly dressed.  No different than playing atmosphere is better when other players behave politely as opposed to rudely.  Not talking about being fashionably dressed - just put me in the collared shirt and nice pants or shorts (no cargoes) camp.

Edited by iacas
Edited (now that I'm back on a computer) to follow the rules

7 hours ago, iacas said:

For the PGA Tour I don’t think wearing pants is anything needing a change. It’s not like they’re out there in thick polyester pants. Hell Phil is out there wearing dress shirts. They’re professional. Look like it. As for public/private courses I’m not a fan of jeans, tank tops (men’s). I don’t think a collared shirt is necessary as there are some nice crew neck shirts that look sporty and classy  with golf shorts. As far as Overrated/Underrated I guess I’d say it’s underrated for the ‘ perception’ of a golf pro. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

Please follow the rules.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:23 PM, iacas said:

Here's how this topic will go. I'll start with a generalized "idea" or statement or something, and any reply to that topic should quote just that statement and reply "Underrated" or "Overrated" and a brief description of why they feel that way.

54 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Underrated - Playing atmosphere is better when other players are neatly dressed.  No different than playing atmosphere is better when other players behave politely as opposed to rudely.  Not talking about being fashionably dressed - just put me in the collared shirt and nice pants or shorts (no cargoes) camp.

Underrated picked.  Brief description why follows.  Is there a rule against analogies?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Underrated picked.  Brief description why follows.  Is there a rule against analogies?

Nope. But you quoted it right there: "any reply to that topic should quote just that statement". You've never quoted the statement, despite several edits to your posts and a PM.

The Rule exists so that people can both see what # we're on, and what topic you're responding to.

For future times when I'm sure you'll do it, thank you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Underrated- I have always liked dress codes, it looks good when everyone at the course is dressed nicely in golf attire such as collared golf shirts and appropriate bermuda length shorts or slacks. To me its shows respect for the game.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

11 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I would say underrated with respect to the courses I play. Dress codes are meant to keep the atmosphere of the course at a certain level. I am not advocating $80 polo and slacks, but decent clothes to play in gives the course a certain feel. Most players I play with wear casual polo shirts and nice shorts.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!