IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Overrated/Underrated #8: Dress Codes

Underrated...most businesses have a dress code or uniform policy. Why shouldnt a golf course? A polo shirt and a nice pair of shorts or slacks during the winter is sufficient. Never should you see t shirt, basketball shorts, jogging pants or any other clothing along those lines. IMO. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Overrated/Underrated #8: Dress Codes

Underrated.  Dress for success.  Aim small, miss small.  If you dress like you don't care, you won't care.

21 hours ago, iacas said:

On the PGA Tour - Overrated, just because they don't allow shorts

Everywhere Else - Neither

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 hours ago, iacas said:

It's been a few days, let alone a few hours, so here's number eight…

Remember that this isn't a measure of whether it's important or not, but you have to first figure out the relative level of how they're perceived, and then say whether that is over-rated or under-rated.

Over rated. 

I couldn’t care less how anyone dresses on the golf course. I’d much rather be in a t shirt than a polo shirt. I actually only have polo shirts for golf use. I never wear them on any other occasion. 

I'd say overrated. I really don't care what other people wear; I care how other people act. I will abide by any dress code, but I pretty much always roll my eyes at them. I just can't bring myself to care what people wear on the golf course.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

I've thought long and hard on this one myself. Remember, we have to base this on how we perceive other people judge them. It's not about whether you "like" or "dislike" a dress code, it's how you feel they're rated.

I too don't particularly care about dress codes. If some other idiot wants to wear jeans to play golf, go for it, despite them being some of the worst materials in which to play a sport.

What's underrated is their impact on the game, the business of the game, and the atmosphere at the club. I might not actively care what someone else is wearing, but even I know that we as human beings judge each other slightly based on appearances.

Dress codes affect how much people are willing to pay, how they handle and deal with each other, and even the way they play and treat the course and their fellow players. Study after study show this to be true, and you're turning a blind eye to this if you ignore that.

And I'm well aware that if I chose to go to the golf course one day in cargo shorts and a t-shirt I'd be the same guy I am when I'm dressed up really well, but I'm talking about the whole, not one-off or small sample sizes or experiential stuff. I'm talking about on the whole.

So underrated. Not by much, but enough that I'm voting that way.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Underrated.  I am somewhat old school and 67 years old but my father was an avid golfer who started caddying during the peak of the Depression at an exclusive course.  At that tine the dress code was oppressive by today's standard but it was done out of respect for the game.  As a kid my father would take us to the driving range and he always wore a nice golf shirt and pressed slacks and ingrained the idea that to play the game you should dress accordingly and look like a golfer (according to his definition).  I took the game seriously at age 40 and would not considering playing dressed in less than proper golf attire.  For myself, and many from my generation, looking good on the course is a tribute to the legacy of the great game that we are fortunate to be playing.  It also helps (me) play more focused and according to the rules of golf.  And it does not have to be expensive!  

Edited by iacas
fixed post

On 12/26/2018 at 9:02 AM, iacas said:

Underrated. For me golf is more enjoyable when my group looks the part. Even if we hack up the course at least look good doing it.  i don’t mind if you’re a fashion focused person trying new things(like the pros sporting joggers and high tops) that’s fine as long as it looks nice.  It drives me crazy even at the munis when you see golfers in some swim trunks and flip flops or jeans and tennis shoes. If there are some of those on this thread then I apologize but I do enjoy the classiness of golf. 

On 12/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, iacas said:

I'll say overrated.  Good golf courses have had and have been enforcing dress codes since the beginning or their existence and I don't see that going away.  It coincides with their reputation and I'll say the same for golfers.  I see a golfer dressed in golf attire and I perceive they are more serious about the sport.  

That being said, I don't care what other golfers wear.   I dress like a golfer because I enjoy it (white belt and all).  I also want to give the perception to other serious golfers that I will be taking the game seriously along with them.  

• Like 1

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

18 minutes ago, Keep It Simple said:

I'll say overrated.  Good golf courses have had and have been enforcing dress codes since the beginning or their existence and I don't see that going away.  It coincides with their reputation and I'll say the same for golfers.  I see a golfer dressed in golf attire and I perceive they are more serious about the sport.  

That being said, I don't care what other golfers wear.   I dress like a golfer because I enjoy it (white belt and all).  I also want to give the perception to other serious golfers that I will be taking the game seriously along with them.  

I went underrated, but this answer wins IMO.

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I'd say overrated. I really don't care what other people wear; I care how other people act. I will abide by any dress code, but I pretty much always roll my eyes at them. I just can't bring myself to care what people wear on the golf course.

I don't care how others are dressed I care how I am dressed. I want to look nice and dress in a way I feel shows respect for the course and the game. People worry too much about each other, I dress the way I do for me.

That being said, at my course we do not have a dress code. In the 15+ years I have worked there I cannot remember one time having problems with anyone dressed in "golf attire". If we get a call and have to go out to deal with someone screwing around on the course it's always someone dressed in jeans and a tee shirt. I am not saying that you are a screw up if you dress that way on the course, but it's my experience and belief that if someone takes the time and effort to dress nice they will also take the effort to treat the game and the course with respect as well.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 12/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, iacas said:

Overated. The only thing that should matter in the amateur ranks is that your legally dressed in public, acceptable attite, and the score you shoot. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 12/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, iacas said:

Overrated at some course and underrated at others.

Any normal (not fancy like TPC courses, Pinehurst, sub-$200 green fees, etc.) course that absolutely requires a collared shirt to play a round or outright bans any denim/non-fancy pants or shorts overrates the importance of a dress code. So long as clothes aren't ragged and are clean it doesn't matter much what you wear.

Any course, period, that allows all clothes including undershirts and those that are ragged or dirty underrates the value of a dress code since nobody wants to get paired up with the guy wearing a white undershirt with brown sides stained from sweat.

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would say underrated with respect to the courses I play. Dress codes are meant to keep the atmosphere of the course at a certain level. I am not advocating $80 polo and slacks, but decent clothes to play in gives the course a certain feel. Most players I play with wear casual polo shirts and nice shorts.

Underrated.  I don't go to church (though nobody dresses up there anymore) and I no longer wear suits to the office.  So playing a round of golf is somewhat special so I enjoy dressing the part.  One cannot be a slob all of the time.

26 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Overrated, have you seen John Daly's pants?

Understandable that Loudmouth golf pants are not for everybody, but John Daly individualized himself when he started wearing them.  A dress code at the course is great. Have fun with it and put together good looking outfits. Individualize yourself and dress for success. The better you look, the better you may play. 

You know... when you're in the bar & grill after a quality 18 holes you just feel better sitting at the bar with a gin & tonic when you're well dressed.  And that single hot young woman next to you is going to take more notice...  just sayin'...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You know... when you're in the bar & grill after a quality 18 holes you just feel better sitting at the bar with a gin & tonic when you're well dressed.  And that single hot young woman next to you is going to take more notice...  just sayin'...

If you see single hot young women at the golf course you are very, very lucky. If you think they are paying attention to you, you are delusional. 

Note: This thread is 1382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!