IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

If you see single hot young women at the golf course you are very, very lucky. If you think they are paying attention to you, you are delusional. 

Nothing is more attractive to a woman than a guy with a sweat-stained polo, matted down hair, grass-stained sox and hands covered in dirt and fertilizer. 😜

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Overrated/Underrated #9: New 2019 rules

We don't know how they're rated, because they've not been in play yet, so this would just be about whether people "like" them or not.

So I'm going to quash this one for now, and we're immediately open to a new Over/Under.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
3 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Overrated/Underrated #9: New Years Resolutions

Nope:

On 12/3/2018 at 1:23 PM, iacas said:

The topics can be anything from the world of golf.

Gotta be golf related. So I guess I'll do it:

Overrated/Underrated #9: Match Play "Mind Games" (when to concede a putt, etc.).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

We don't know how they're rated, because they've not been in play yet, so this would just be about whether people "like" them or not.

So I'm going to quash this one for now, and we're immediately open to a new Over/Under.

You are the owner of this site and you made the rules for this thread. The topic I made was within your rules. But ok, you got yourself a new one. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MacDutch

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Overrated/Underrated #9: Match Play "Mind Games" (when to concede a putt, etc.).

Overrated in my experience. I can expect my opponent to make me putt a 2 footer late in the round and maybe give me a longer one early. I do use it for fun against friends. Sometimes I wait until they take their stance for a 3 footer and say “That’s good!” at the last second to mess with them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
10 hours ago, MacDutch said:

You are the owner of this site and you made the rules for this thread. The topic I made was within your rules. But ok, you got yourself a new one. 🤷‍♂️

It was within the rules of the site, but it was like asking "MacDutch's golf game." Few people know enough about it to rate it let alone determine how their rating compares to the majority sentiment.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Overrated. Just hit your golf ball. People who get too caught up in this stuff end up costing themselves.

Just play golf. Yes, if someone is hitting their third tee shot having hit two of them OB, you might want to adjust your strategy a little bit, but even that's not a "mind game." And there are times when an opponent has a twenty footer for bogey on the same line as their partner for birdie, and it's good strategy to concede the 20-footer, but that's not a "mind game" either - that's just playing smart.

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Overrated. I'm not going to suddenly choke over a 2 foot putt just because I haven't hit one since the putting green. I've hit a lot of putts over the course of the round at that point, I know how fast the greens are rolling, I know how hard I'll need to hit it (because I know how fast the greens are), and I hardly have any break to worry about 99% of the time on a 2 foot putt. I'll still make that putt 95% of the time or more.

Mind games only work if the opponent gets into their own head about it. If you play against any half decent golfer they'll just be happy you gave them the free putts so they didn't have to worry about them.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

Nope:

Gotta be golf related. So I guess I'll do it:

Overrated. True, there are "strategies" that can be employed in a match, but that's what they are, strategies. To me "mind games" are stuff like jingling the change in your pocket when someone is putting, cracking a can of beer or soft drink at the top of someone's backswing, etc. Mind you, some of that stuff just might get you brained! 

Referencing Pretzels post above, I'd guess the new rules of golf still allow you to practice, in match play, when the play of a hole is concluded. So you can have a putt conceded, and still putt it.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Referencing Pretzels post above, I'd guess the new rules of golf still allow you to practice, in match play, when the play of a hole is concluded. So you can have a putt conceded, and still putt it.

You can practice after a hole in stroke play, too. And… you can't putt a conceded putt until after the hole has been finished, as you noted, which is kinda the point of conceding a an opponent's partner's putt on the same line if it doesn't mean anything to the hole, if you're referring to my post.

Yes. That's why I typed "when the play of the hole is concluded". I wasn't absolutely sure about stroke play, since there are differences between stroke and match play. 

I once read a story where, in the Ryder Cup, Nicklaus would give his opponent any putt inside 5 feet! The guy would simply pocket his ball and walk to the next tee. This went on until it really mattered! Then Nicklaus just stood there and stared at the guy, who wobbled up to the putt shaking like a leaf and missed it. 

The take away lesson? Don't always treat a given putt like the gift it might seem to be.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:36 PM, iacas said:

Overrated. Play your game. 

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The take away lesson?

I’d say it’s you better be damn sure you’re there ‘when it counts’ after conceding any putt within 5’.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 12/31/2018 at 6:36 PM, iacas said:

Overrated. You should expect your opponent to make you putt the short ones, just like you would in a stroke play competition. I guess there is other mind game stuff like intentionally holding a wrong club in your hands on a tee if your opponent is hitting first but at the end of the day it's whoever plays better golf.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, iacas said:

Not only overrated, but kinda silly. 

BTW - how do you suggest an overrated/underrated topic: I'd like to see Overrated/Underrated: Arrcos/Game Golf/Other game trackers?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 12/31/2018 at 8:36 PM, iacas said:

Overrated - in general.....but I guess it depends on how mental one or their competition is.

Someone posted - Overrated, and "kinda silly".  I love that answer.  AGREE.

Play your game and try to get the best score you can.  If the other guy hits first and screws up, then I can see winning the hole with a more conservative tact that your normal play - but that's not what I'd consider "mind games" - taking advantage of a physical mistake on the part of the other guy isnt really 'messing with his head'.

(funny how "mental game", "golf attire", and "mind games" all come up in a row - it's pretty much the same thing.  If people "let" stuff that doesn't matter affect their game, then that's their problem.  Hit the ball, repeat - much simpler than - check out the competition, let stupid stuff affect your swing, try to calm down, hit the ball, repeat)

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I once read a story where, in the Ryder Cup, Nicklaus would give his opponent any putt inside 5 feet! The guy would simply pocket his ball and walk to the next tee. This went on until it really mattered! Then Nicklaus just stood there and stared at the guy, who wobbled up to the putt shaking like a leaf and missed it.

Just because they concede it, doesn't mean you have to pick it up.  You just don't have to take strokes for a miss.  Finish the hole, stay warmed up....Seems Jack should succeed once with this, then his future opponents should have figured it out.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

BTW - how do you suggest an overrated/underrated topic: I'd like to see Overrated/Underrated: Arrcos/Game Golf/Other game trackers?

Look at the first post.

Rules are pretty straightforward.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:36 PM, iacas said:

Oh gosh, so overrated. If I'm playing well, what my opponent does or says does not matter. If I'm playing terribly, what my opponent does or says does not matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!