IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

3 words:  Isometrics for golf.

Meh, I hit it far enough. I prefer 16oz curls myself.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, klineka said:

Overrated/Underrated #11: Working out/lifting weights to help improve your golf game

Overrated.

Sure being fit will help and even doing more golf-specific exercises are great but let's say you put me back to where I was 5 years ago when I was 60 pounds heavier and the only goal was to improve my game and you gave me these two options:

1. 25% fitness focus (including golf-specific exercises) & 75% golf focused (range time, drills, practice at home, short game and putting practice, playing a couple times a week)
2. 75% fitness focus (including golf-specific exercises) & 25% golf focused (range time, drills, practice at home, short game and putting practice, playing a couple times a week)

I'm going with the first option.

I just think if you want to get better at golf, you need to do golf stuff. No amount of working out is/was going to improve my mechanics as much as putting in the time on the range, doing drills, deliberate rehearsals at home, getting quality instruction and playing on a regular basis.

Also look at a lot of the old-school golfers, early 1900's up to late 70's. Yeah I know, Gary Player, Frank Stranahan were big fitness advocates and Nicklaus would jog the golf course and play speed golf but most of those guys didn't lift anything heavier than a glass of whiskey.

There might be some special circumstances where someone could have serious mobility issues and addressing that with fitness first could then allow them to perform the motion they are trying to achieve. But they still need the quality instruction/guidance to know what they are trying to do with their body/swing. Someone could get really fit and operate under the idea that they need to (insert golf swing myth) and get worse.

There was a period on tour where lifting heavy and getting stronger was popular but it's evolved to more functional training, more focused on stamina, mobility, stability, less heavy weights. That's kind of the cherry on top because those guys are still spending hours hitting a lot of balls, practicing short game, playing, etc.

13 hours ago, Keep It Simple said:

Just look at the long drive guys.  There is a reason they are all big.  Even Jamie Sadlowski, he might be smaller in stature but comes from hockey where hardcore training regiments are the norm (at least if you are playing semi-pro).

All those guys are going to hit it far even without working out. Not saying working out doesn't help, I'm pro-fitness, but when it comes to improving at golf, there are more important aspects to consider.

I know a guy that started doing long drive for fun. Went from swinging in the low 120's to low 140's and made it to the finals last year. The speed bump happened because of his change in mechanics. Fitness wise he stopped lifting heavy and started focusing more on mobility to deal with some injuries he had. Now he's doing MMA-ish type of workout routines that compliment what he's trying to do with his move. If he had just done fitness stuff and didn't change his swing he wouldn't be carrying the ball 380 yards.

He also teaches and helps players swing faster/more efficient and fitness isn't part of his instruction.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Overrated/Underrated #12: Walking while playing golf to help improve scores

I'd say underrated. I think there is a difference of a few strokes in favor of walking. It keeps you in a better rhythm, you have more time to let go of the bad stuff that just happened and tend to think better about what's coming up.

I feel sad when I see young guys who are healthy zipping around in carts instead of walking, carrying or pushing a cart, as they don't know what they are missing. They are typically not any faster either: I was walking behind such a pair yesterday and caught them up on the tee several times (they never invited me to join them, but that's for another topic!)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

46 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated (sadly) - I prefer to walk and do so as often as my playing companions will allow.  Several years ago I would have said underrated but after sitting in a cart and playing almost as often as walking, I am no longer sure.  I seem to play decently (or poorly) under both approaches.  I feel better walking and think I play better but the numbers tell me I am wrong as far as scoring.

Brian Kuehn

59 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated.  I used to be carry only when I didn't work at the course I do now.  Back then I would have said underrated because I played better walking than when riding but that was because I wasn't used to riding. Now I ride quite a bit because my course is cart mandatory, but when I golf elsewhere I will bring my push cart.  If I play solo with a cart, I don't think I do too well because I rush.  But, when I play with others, I play the same as I would when walking because I can take my time.  Rhythm is developed by being used to how you play, in terms of transportation.  I don't think one way is ultimately better than the other when it comes to scoring.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Overrated.  I used to be carry only when I didn't work at the course I do now.  Back then I would have said underrated because I played better walking than when riding but that was because I wasn't used to riding. Now I ride quite a bit because my course is cart mandatory, but when I golf elsewhere I will bring my push cart.  If I play solo with a cart, I don't think I do too well because I rush.  But, when I play with others, I play the same as I would when walking because I can take my time.  Rhythm is developed by being used to how you play, in terms of transportation.  I don't think one way is ultimately better than the other when it comes to scoring.

I play at Phil's course on occasion... very hilly, understandable that carts are mandatory, and they're included with the greens fee.  Great gin & tonics in the bar... with a view.  There's a course just northeast of my city that essentially requires power carts.  Too often I encounter 20-somethings who attempt to walk/carry.  Inevitably they will be begging for rides on my power cart on certain holes.  The sucker that I am, I relent.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Too often I encounter 20-somethings who attempt to walk/carry.  Inevitably they will be begging for rides on my power cart on certain holes.  The sucker that I am, I relent.

Off topic but,

Spoiler

Shuksan I assume? That's where I used to carry a lot.  People always looked at me like I was crazy, especially those in a cart, but I typically went ahead of them and never saw them sniffing at me.  I ran up that hill from 10 to 11 a lot. I took my sweet time after 18 though haha

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I'm going to say very slightly underrated. If I look at my best 2 rounds last season. One of them I walked, the other I rode. Having said that, I enjoy walking and carrying my bag, not pushing it. I think it helps you over the course of the season learn to "finish" a round. When you are used to walking 18, it gets you in better "golf shape", I think. 

There's one fellow I play with who's about my age and he always seems to fade on the last 2-3 holes. He always claims he's tired. His phrase is "Man, I'm leaking oil down the stretch." He never walks, however. I truly believe that if he walked more often he'd leak less oil because he'd get in better golf shape. 

So, walking may or may not improve your score for the round you're playing. Over the long haul, however, I believe it helps. … a little. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

17 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Off topic but,

Hide contents

Shuksan I assume? That's where I used to carry a lot.  People always looked at me like I was crazy, especially those in a cart, but I typically went ahead of them and never saw them sniffing at me.  I ran up that hill from 10 to 11 a lot. I took my sweet time after 18 though haha

You know that "killer" hill from 10 to 11 is now gone?  Sheesh, I might start walking again.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated. I can shoot good scores doing either. I do try to walk around a little bit more, when in a cart, but that's mostly because I like to walk now and then.

It doesn't affect your scores much at all, and if you get fatigued, you riding a cart could actually be better for your scores.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, sjduffers said:

It keeps you in a better rhythm, you have more time to let go of the bad stuff that just happened and tend to think better about what's coming up.

I feel sad when I see young guys who are healthy zipping around in carts instead of walking, carrying or pushing a cart, as they don't know what they are missing. They are typically not any faster either: 

I'm going to say Underrated.  I thought about this a lot.  I'm a huge walker and I do think I play better walking, but I struggled with the question.  I think the real answer has to do with rhythm as suggested.  When a course is busy, which is most non-winter Saturday and Sundays, I think walking puts you into a better rhythm and matches the flow of the course better.  Whenever I ride during these times it seems like hurry up and wait.

I also can't believe the aversion many people have to walking.  In my area it's generally cart path only until Spring, but no matter how fit most of these guys are they won't think about walking.  I know that I can easily keep up with two guys in a cart when it's cart path only - and I never leave the right club in the cart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated/Underrated #12: Walking while playing golf to help improve scores.

Underrated.

You spend more time focusing on your next shot as you walk quietly instead of riding and chatting with your buddy.  You get to pace off your yardage from a sprinkler or 150 marker on the way to the ball - much more “rhythmic” than zig zagging around and walking backwards etc.

Just generally easier to keep your eye on the ball I think.

7 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated, and I say this as someone who's shot my best score by far while walking (a 65 in a tournament) and who generally prefers walking. 

Walking is good exercise, but nothing about it makes you score better. I know if I walk and it's a long round (5+ hours) in hot weather (90+ degrees) I'll probably be somewhat fatigued by the end of the round, which can lead to higher scores. I also know that in a cart if the course is empty I can sometimes end up rushing which can be either good or bad, depending on whether I'm just playing fast and staying out of my way or playing a little too fast and making mistakes. Either way I generally prefer walking just because it's less expensive and for the exercise, but I know my scores come out to be a wash either way usually.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Underrated on a course you don't know well and overrated on ones you do. Walking gives you a better perspective of the topography of the course. I think it helps you understand where to aim, how the ball will roll and especially a better view of the greens as you walk up. Riding tends to keep you on the cart path, especially as you approach the green.

But on a course you know well, it won't really matter. You already know the nuances. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

You get to pace off your yardage from a sprinkler or 150 marker on the way to the ball - much more “rhythmic” than zig zagging around and walking backwards etc.

Or, regardless of whether you walked or rode, you pull out your range finder and shoot the flag, bunker, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated. I prefer walking to riding for the exercise aspect. However most of my lowest scores have been while I was riding.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

16 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated

I can't think of any benefit from walking over riding other than I enjoy walking more. I don't think it benefits my score. The only benefit of riding I can think of is not getting tired.

I noticed a few people say you get a better perspective off the course. This might be true, but most courses let you drive anywhere, and the carts do not move that fast for you to not get a look at the course. As for getting a view of the green, I don't think approaching the green from the side or back versus the front makes a big difference. Since I use Aimpoint, I don't really concern myself with that sort of thing. I have heard the tip of reading the green from the fairway as you walk up.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!