IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, klineka said:

Overrated/Underrated #12: Walking while playing golf to help improve scores

I am going with underrated.

It just helps me play better because I think it gets me in a better rhythm. I tend to look around more at the surroundings instead of just driving the cart to the path, to my ball, 90 degrees back to cart path etc. I my case It is much more peaceful so I think it helps me focus more on the next shot. I also think it has something to do with just being able to walk (living in Florida) because their are so fun places that you are allowed to walk or it becomes just too hot in the summer. My particular  course ends up being cart path only when wet so it actually works out better being able to walk because I have all my clubs right there with me instead of trying to guess which ones I need as I walk across the fairway to my ball. 

Edited by Bucki1968
Wrong topic copied.
  • Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated, has absolutely no impact on my scores. I would like to say I play better when I walk, but there is no statistical evidence to back up that claim. In fact my lowest score I ever shot (64) I did so while riding.  I do think I enjoy the round more when I walk, but score wise there is no difference.

I might even go as far as to say under certain circumstances it can hurt your score. I know in the summer I often play several days in a row in 95° weather. I have had times when I was fatigued and have not finished rounds well when I walked several days in a row. Perhaps this ties in with the previous fitness topic?

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Or, regardless of whether you walked or rode, you pull out your range finder and shoot the flag, bunker, etc.

Yes, rangefinders eliminate the need to pace distances.  🙂. Which reminds me, mines about crapped out and I need a new one!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Or, regardless of whether you walked or rode, you pull out your range finder and shoot the flag, bunker, etc.

Yep, sprinkler head yardage and 150 yard markers are going the way of the typewriter and the dinosaur.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I'd say a highly-qualified underrated.

Different golfers and different golf courses have different rhythms. It's really about finding a pace-of-play that is more comfortable to you in the given environment.

Personally, I find walking to be better because I often play alone and there is often a lot of traffic in front of me. It is easier to walk slow than drive a cart slowly. In the cart, you sit and watch the people in front of you. All that impacts my level of concentration and can effect my scores.

Naturally it could be a totally different story for someone in a different situation. It's good to have options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated.

I love walking as long as temp below 90 degs. but I have not noticed a difference in scores with or without. If I think about it, I don't see a tangible connection. Some may see a 'rhythm' thing, but IMO that can be easily messed up by a slow group in front of you whether you are walking or riding.  

Vishal S.

19 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Overrated - people are so subjective in this area, one just can't say anything definitive.

Personally, I can stink or play well either way.  One week I absolutely love walking and am in the zone because of it, but the next week, riding is the thing.  So it's more about my mood, rather than the cart vs shoe.  I suspect one can CHOOSE which one they think is better and the placebo effect or just judgment bias will validate their personal assumption.

Bill - 

19 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I'm going to say overrated. I prefer to walk, but I don't think it has more than a miniscule impact on my scores. I'm guessing for most golfers who aren't used to walking 6 miles a time, walking will actually hurt their scores. There a lot of reasons why I walk, but score isn't really one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

20 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I'd say its overrated.  My perception is that most people believe that they play better walking, or would if they were allowed to walk.  I simply don't believe that most of them would indeed play better.  Personally, I enjoy walking, and I'm making efforts to walk more on my home course.  I don't believe that walking will hurt my scores, and improved fitness might improve them, but I don't think walking directly improves my own scores.  I can see where some people would fee l less impatience, or prepare better for individual shots, but I think that's probably more than offset by people who either wouldn't see a difference, or who would play worse due to fatigue.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

In addition to what I posted earlier I do have to say on occasion while riding I will end up with the wrong club. When riding I often will grab a few clubs and walk to my ball. Occasionally the clubs I grabbed may not end up being the clubs I really need. This happens most often on shots around the green. You miss the green on the side away from the cart path, you grab the club(s) you think you most likely will need, and when you get to your ball, the lie or shot calls for a club you didn't bring.  I certainly don't want to hold everyone up while I jog back to the cart so I will just go ahead and try to manufacture a shot. More often than not it doesn't work out too well. 

In cases like that walking is better because I always have my clubs right there next to me.

• Upvote 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Adding a wrinkle to the thread.  Walking... but with a caddie.  Have you ever used a caddie?  I have, on several occasions, while playing resort courses or the classics.  Pebble Beach, Bandon Dunes, Chambers Bay.

With a caddie it's an amble through the park... no sweat, literally.  Usually you have an interesting guy to chat with, he knows the local breaks and real distances, he keeps you relaxed with your mind in the game, he can line you up for certain shots.  And he can pull your flask out of the bag... if you share.

So I submit that walking, with a caddie, leads to better scores.

P.S. - And now you can tip him less because he doesn't have to pull the flagstick from the hole as often.  :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I'm going to say overrated. I prefer to walk, but I don't think it has more than a miniscule impact on my scores. I'm guessing for most golfers who aren't used to walking 6 miles a time, walking will actually hurt their scores. There a lot of reasons why I walk, but score isn't really one of them.

This... but I rarely walk.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 1/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, sjduffers said:

I'd say underrated. I think there is a difference of a few strokes in favor of walking. It keeps you in a better rhythm, you have more time to let go of the bad stuff that just happened and tend to think better about what's coming up.

I feel sad when I see young guys who are healthy zipping around in carts instead of walking, carrying or pushing a cart, as they don't know what they are missing. They are typically not any faster either: I was walking behind such a pair yesterday and caught them up on the tee several times (they never invited me to join them, but that's for another topic!)...

I think it's a matter of perspective. Back in the day I never rode! I always walked and carried and the tempo was perfect for me at that time. That's not to say I dawdled. If no one held me up I could play nine in an hour twenty, hour and a half max. Of course, I could really play so back then I would have said underrated. 

Nowadays, with creaky, 66 year old knees and a right hip that is becoming more and more of a concern for me, I would vote overrated. I think walking an entire round, or even 9 holes would actually lead to higher scores.I try to walk a hole or two just to warm the legs up but mostly, I ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
43 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Overrated/Underrated #13: Penalty Hazards (Water and OB)

Not sure I know what you mean. In terms of what? They are what they are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not sure I know what you mean. In terms of what? They are what they are.

I mean are they overutilized in golf course design or underutilized. This stemmed from a debate that two friends had the other day...one guy said a course that didn't have a lot of water hazards or OB was too easy and not testing enough, and the other argued that architects rely on penalty hazards too much as defense for the golf course when strategic bunkering or difficult but interesting green complexes would be better suited for testing the skilled player and still being plenty of challenge to the amateur. I thought it was an interesting debate to listen to. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

I mean are they overutilized in golf course design or underutilized. This stemmed from a debate that two friends had the other day...one guy said a course that didn't have a lot of water hazards or OB was too easy and not testing enough, and the other argued that architects rely on penalty hazards too much as defense for the golf course when strategic bunkering or difficult but interesting green complexes would be better suited for testing the skilled player and still being plenty of challenge to the amateur. I thought it was an interesting debate to listen to. 

That's what I was afraid of.

I have no opinion, nor can I, because I have no idea how anyone feels they are rated, so I can't say whether I feel that they're over- or under-rated.

11 hours to go… 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Overrated/Underrated #13: Penalty Hazards (Water and OB)

I would say underrated by the average golfer. We tend to not like them, but we should appreciate courses with well thought out set ups. A good course designer uses them as risk/reward features.

I have one course I play often with a Par 5 that has a well placed pond that your second shot has to navigate (521/511 from the tee to green). If you have a good drive, say 250, your second shot would need to be at least 210 carry to clear the pond and land on the lead up fairway to the hole. The pond is angled so it is further to clear on the left than the right side. So a shot to the right side may only need 190, but left 230.

To make it more fun, there is a bunker in the middle of the fairway at about 350 yards that leaves a 40-50 yard landing area before the pond. So if you decide to not try and clear the pond, you still have to think about your layup shot to clear the bunker and not go in the pond. Add to that, the fairway after the bunker slopes down to the pond making your approach shot off a down hill lie.

I actually like this hole and par it often, but also have tripled it. My drives don't go 250, shot it is the second shot that is the real thinker.

The only real bad thing about this layout are the Tiger wannabees that wait for the green to clear for their second shot and always, and I mean always, plop that baby into the pond.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!