IGNORED

Sad Day (Not the New Coach)

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I knew it was coming but.....Thanks for seven great years Urban Meyer.

is?WVWN5tK7VdLCTc8tXl3GPE4ofPnpKvnq7pYgJcHodFg&height=227

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Buckeye head football coach is definitely the kind of job that shortens lives.

Urban has earned to right to do whatever he wants. Even if that means he ends up somewhere else in a few years, I got no problem with that. As long as it isn't TTUN.

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Urban has earned to right to do whatever he wants. Even if that means he ends up somewhere else in a few years, I got no problem with that. As long as it isn't TTUN.

If he does, I would guess ND in 2-3 years.

I don't think he'll end up coaching again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I agree. He has a cyst on his brain that has been causing headaches and the stresses of coaching can't help that at all.

Also, nice title, @Bucki1968 I get it :-D

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Maybe not. 

Then again, the guy is only 54 years old and modern medicine might give him something that works. Coaching is all he's ever done. The question is if he can find something else to occupy himself. 

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

The question is if he can find something else to occupy himself. 

He does own a house on and is a member at Muirfield where they have the Memorial Tournament every year, so maybe he should just golf more and join TheSandTrap? I'm sure we'd help him in a swing thread :dance:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Then again, the guy is only 54 years old and modern medicine might give him something that works. Coaching is all he's ever done. The question is if he can find something else to occupy himself. 

There is a provision in his contract that he could take on an administrative role at OSU. This was for after he completed his 5 year contract in 2022. I could see him going back to announcing or taking on a role at the university. His wife is an employee at the Hospital located on campus.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

25 minutes ago, klineka said:

He does own a house on and is a member at Muirfield where they have the Memorial Tournament every year, so maybe he should just golf more and join TheSandTrap? I'm sure we'd help him in a swing thread :dance:

Name:  Urban Meyer
Club Handicap Index Effective Date Low H.I.
Muirfield Village GC
Ohio Golf Association
8.9 12/1/2018 8.9
Maybe you better players can help him out. Not much I have to tell him.

I can see you working with him on a TST outing out there.

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

There is a provision in his contract that he could take on an administrative role at OSU. This was for after he completed his 5 year contract in 2022. I could see him going back to announcing or taking on a role at the university. His wife is an employee at the Hospital located on campus.

Certainly. In the short term, the man has a lot of options. I'm just having a really hard time imagining him content behind a microphone or a desk beyond a year or two..

Urban is 26-2 in rivalry games, https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/12/100258/urban-meyer-leaves-ohio-state-with-one-of-the-most-remarkable-head-coaching-records-in-football-history

Urban has the highest winning % of any coach in the FBS with over 10 years of head coaching experience.

Good to hear Day is keeping on the cogs that keep the OSU Football Machine turning, https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/12/100255/mickey-marotti-mark-pantoni-ryan-stamper-and-brian-voltolini-expected-to-remain-under-ryan-day-per-report

All indications point to Day planning to keep veteran strength coach Mickey Marotti, director of operations Brian Voltolini, respected personnel director Mark Pantoni and player development director Ryan Stamper.

Mariotti is huge, he's one of the best strength and conditioning coaches out there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Sad day? Are you f***ing kidding me? Did we all forget that Meyer ignored domestic violence by one of his assistants for years? And while that was happening, he wrote a book about Lessons of Leadership! He can't even live up to what he holds his players to:

Urban was lucky not be fired for cause earlier this year. He's a piece of shit who values winning above everything. Good riddance.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Yeah, seriously @DeadMan, I was wondering when that was going to come up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Sad Day (Not the New Coach)
22 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

He's a piece of shit who values winning above everything

Nobody would argue that it was handled in the best fashion. For however much blame you want to lay on Meyer, winning had little to do with it.

Zach Smith was someone Meyer felt an obligation towards based on his relationship with Earle Bruce. If winning was above all else, Smith probably would have gone much earlier. From what I hear, he was a bit of a screw up. He was regularly late to meetings. He blew off recruiting visits and kept getting chance after chance. 

Poor judgement, over-reliance on other authorities and misplaced loyalty are all factors here. Simply winning was not. 

Edited by mcanadiens

By the way.....How did Zach Smith make out in court over his domestic abuse case? Never hear much about that. I wonder why?

My bag:

7 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Nobody would argue that it was handled in the best fashion. For however much blame you want to lay on Meyer, winning had little to do with it.

Zach Smith was someone Meyer felt an obligation towards based on his relationship with Earle Bruce. If winning was above all else, Smith probably would have gone much earlier. From what I hear, he was a bit of a screw up. He was regularly late to meetings. He blew off recruiting visits and kept getting chance after chance.  

Poor judgement, over-reliance on other authorities and misplaced loyalty are all factors here. Simply winning was not.  

Maybe you're right, and Zach Smith was definitely an awful coach, but it doesn't change the fact that Meyer is a POS for ignoring at all. But, it goes well beyond just ignoring domestic violence at OSU. At Florida, he had 31 players arrested in 6 years at head coach. He had an actual murderer on his team. Ignoring character flaws for some purpose is clearly Meyer's MO.

5 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

By the way.....How did Zach Smith make out in court over his domestic abuse case? Never hear much about that. I wonder why?

He, uh, pled guilty, and now his wife has a 3 year protection order against him: 

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0829%2Fr423260_1

Zach Smith, a former Ohio State assistant, has taken a plea deal to resolve criminal charges. Smith's ex-wife, Courtney Smith, was granted a...

-- Daniel

28 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Maybe you're right, and Zach Smith was definitely an awful coach, but it doesn't change the fact that Meyer is a POS for ignoring at all. But, it goes well beyond just ignoring domestic violence at OSU. At Florida, he had 31 players arrested in 6 years at head coach. He had an actual murderer on his team. Ignoring character flaws for some purpose is clearly Meyer's MO.

He, uh, pled guilty, and now his wife has a 3 year protection order against him: 

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0829%2Fr423260_1

Zach Smith, a former Ohio State assistant, has taken a plea deal to resolve criminal charges. Smith's ex-wife, Courtney Smith, was granted a...

Yes....disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing. By the way....the trespassing was for dropping his kids off in front of her house. I don't see anywhere in there a mention of domestic abuse? So I guess he, uh, plead guilty to disorderly conduct? Uh....uh.......uh....?????  As I stated earlier....I don't think the truth about this will ever come out. Maybe we can get the answer from the President at Ohio State. Then again...what does any of this have to do with Urban Meyer's coaching record at Ohio State? I understand that some people just don't like Urban just like some people don't like Nick Saban. I have been a football coach for 16 years and all I am saying (as an Ohio State fan) is that he has been a great coach, recruiter, and graduated his players. All the coaches I have met from Ohio State have been good guys who love to coach college kids and they all try to do what is in the best interest of their players (same as probably 99% of all the coaches in America). 

My bag:

13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Maybe you're right, and Zach Smith was definitely an awful coach, but it doesn't change the fact that Meyer is a POS for ignoring at all. But, it goes well beyond just ignoring domestic violence at OSU.

Let's look at that claim, Did Urban ignore domestic violence. It comes down to the question, at what point do you believe someone committed domestic violence. Also, should someone be fired if someone claims that person committed domestic violence?

Urban was aware of the investigation by the Powell Police on Zach Smith in 2015. He was aware that no chargers were filed against Zach Smith and at that time he assumed the issue to be closed. This is not a good assumption to make, but it is a common one made. Why should Zach be fired in 2015 when the police didn't even charge Zach Smith? We know that there is a lot of domestic violence abusers who never get charged, but there is also a chance that there wasn't any domestic abuse. There is evidence that shows that Courtney Smith is not a credible person. Her own mother claimed that she would initiate confrontations with Zach and physically abuse Zach while he just stood there and did nothing. Her mother and others have said that Courtney told them that she would do anything to get Zach fired from his job.

Let's not forget that Brett McMurphy has retracted a few statements where he embellished or outright lied in his articles. His credibility is extremely low. His recent article about a former OSU player who transferred of the team wouldn't even be published by any mainstream sports networks because it had no fact checking review process. The claims in the article had no credibility. He still went ahead and found a no name sports website to publish his article anyways.

Still, we know that Zach Smith's conduct at Ohio State was not good and it should have gotten him fired. Urban kept him on the staff because he was Earl Bruce's grandson, a mentor to Urban.

In the end, Urban did not believe that Zach Smith committed domestic violence because he was never charged. Which again isn't the best logic to use, but do you wreck a persons career based on claims from what you may believe is a non-credible person.

At Florida, he had 31 players arrested in 6 years at head coach. He had an actual murderer on his team. Ignoring character flaws for some purpose is clearly Meyer's MO.

At Ohio State how many players were arrested?

I will say that his choice of players at Florida was not good. I can not deny those numbers. He clearly changed that aspect when he went to Ohio State.

Did you read the article?

According to Delaware Municipal Court records, a criminal trespassing charge against Smith was reduced to disorderly conduct. The charge was filed based on a complaint filed by Smith's ex-wife.

He was never charged with domestic violence. All he was trying to do was return his kids to Courtney because his time was up with them.

34 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

He had an actual murderer on his team.

You are saying that because a player decided to commit murder after college that Urban should be blamed in someway? That makes total sense.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

12 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Yes....disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing. By the way....the trespassing was for dropping his kids off in front of her house. I don't see anywhere in there a mention of domestic abuse? So I guess he, uh, plead guilty to disorderly conduct? Uh....uh.......uh....?????  As I stated earlier....I don't think the truth about this will ever come out. Maybe we can get the answer from the President at Ohio State.

You're ignoring the protection order, along with mounds of other evidence that Zach Smith abused his wife and that Urban knew about it. Maybe this one incident wasn't technically domestic abuse. That doesn't exculpate Meyer or Smith at all.

Then again...what does any of this have to do with Urban Meyer's coaching record at Ohio State? I understand that some people just don't like Urban just like some people don't like Nick Saban. I have been a football coach for 16 years and all I am saying (as an Ohio State fan) is that he has been a great coach, recruiter, and graduated his players. All the coaches I have met from Ohio State have been good guys who love to coach college kids and they all try to do what is in the best interest of their players (same as probably 99% of all the coaches in America). 

It doesn't have any thing to do with Urban's record on the field at OSU. I think it's pathetic that you think it's a "sad day" that he's leaving. OSU debased itself by letting him continue to coach. OSU is a good school, and it shouldn't be represented by pieces of shit like Urban Meyer.

20 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Let's look at that claim, Did Urban ignore domestic violence. It comes down to the question, at what point do you believe someone committed domestic violence. Also, should someone be fired if someone claims that person committed domestic violence?

Urban was aware of the investigation by the Powell Police on Zach Smith in 2015. He was aware that no chargers were filed against Zach Smith and at that time he assumed the issue to be closed. This is not a good assumption to make, but it is a common one made. Why should Zach be fired in 2015 when the police didn't even charge Zach Smith? We know that there is a lot of domestic violence abusers who never get charged, but there is also a chance that there wasn't any domestic abuse. There is evidence that shows that Courtney Smith is not a credible person. Her own mother claimed that she would initiate confrontations with Zach and physically abuse Zach while he just stood there and did nothing. Her mother and others have said that Courtney told them that she would do anything to get Zach fired from his job.

You're missing the 2009 incident that Urban Meyer knew about. And you're making the false assumption that Urban's only choices were to fire or retain Zach Smith. OSU is a world-class university. There are resources on campus that could help him handle it better. But his hubris was to decide everything by himself, and hope that his one-on-one counseling session in 2009 was enough.

By the way, please reevaluate your perspective on Courtney Smith not being a credible person. We have no idea if that's true, but it's also a common trope to paint the victim of domestic abuse as crazy and unbelievable.

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Let's not forget that Brett McMurphy has retracted a few statements where he embellished or outright lied in his articles. His credibility is extremely low. His recent article about a former OSU player who transferred of the team wouldn't even be published by any mainstream sports networks because it had no fact checking review process. The claims in the article had no credibility. He still went ahead and found a no name sports website to publish his article anyways. 

Ad hominem and irrelevant to whether Urban Meyer knew and ignored domestic violence.

30 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

At Ohio State how many players were arrested? 

I will say that his choice of players at Florida was not good. I can not deny those numbers. He clearly changed that aspect when he went to Ohio State.

His players were definitely arrested less times at OSU than at Florida. Low bar, though, and his players weren't perfect.

31 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You are saying that because a player decided to commit murder after college that Urban should be blamed in someway? That makes total sense.

Yeah, when his player is implicated in a double shooting (after being in a bar fight earlier that same year), and he doesn't do anything, I'm going to blame him. He really showed his Lessons in Leadership by not doing anything to Hernandez.

It's easy to explain away all of these things individually, as you're trying to do. When you look at the whole picture, it's not a pretty one.

-- Daniel

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!