IGNORED

2019 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

For the Nantz haters, note that he didn't say anything for over 2:00 there. Just let what was being seen and heard told the story.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Name 'em! 🙂

I considered that but was called out for ‘poking’ before so I let it go...Think I’ll build that list though ...lol.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

For the Nantz haters, note that he didn't say anything for over 2:00 there. Just let what was being seen and heard told the story.

Great catch Erik...I was thinking that when it happened. Smart move by Nantz!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I considered that but was called out for ‘poking’ before so I let it go...Think I’ll build that list though ...lol.

Poking before it's actually happened is poking. Poking after is calling people to the carpet. It's different. 😄

Lots of good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/masters

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

There was something on 12 that made them choose the wrong club.  Maybe the pros here can chime in on how the pros make their club and swing choices.  I couldnt believe how many came up short.  

5 hours ago, phillyk said:

Tiger used the same club as the other two in his group.  #12 has swirling wind with a small green, that's why it's so tough.  I think this time the wind was in the face a bit, but they didn't know or feel it?

Just guessing, but I think it was Tiger playing smart.  With the problems of the other 2 guys (and I don't know if he knew about Koepka and Poulter ahead having done the same thing), but I think he went toward the bunker deliberately so that if he came up short as well, he'd still be dry.  That was a case where hitting last may have made all the difference.

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Just guessing, but I think it was Tiger playing smart.  With the problems of the other 2 guys (and I don't know if he knew about Koepka and Poulter ahead having done the same thing), but I think he went toward the bunker deliberately so that if he came up short as well, he'd still be dry.  That was a case where hitting last may have made all the difference.

FWIW he said that was the plan all along.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
Just now, colin007 said:

Does anyone have his strokes gained stats for the tourney?

Overall? You could easily figure that out. (Field average score - his score) / 4 for the per-round average.

• Administrator

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

FWIW he said that was the plan all along.

I heard him say that also. But 4 of 5 pros got it wrong.  Wow. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Overall? You could easily figure that out. (Field average score - his score) / 4 for the per-round average.

No, putting, driving, approach shots.

Also, lol at Michelle Wie referencing Tiger's BDE

Colin P.

Just an awesome tournament.    It was exciting from start to finish.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

This is an interesting article an Jack's expanded thoughts on Tiger's win.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/jack-nicklaus-tiger-woods-15th-major-victory-2019-masters-hes-got-me-shaking-my-boots

Key quote:

“I felt for a long time he was going to win again," Nicklaus said. "And, you know, the next two majors are at Bethpage, where he’s won [2002 U.S. Open], and Pebble Beach, where he’s won [2000 U.S. Open]. So, you know, he’s got me shaking in my boots, guys.”

Another telling quote:

“I mean there wasn’t any question in mind, after seeing [Francesco] Molinari hit the ball in the water at 12, and Tiger put it on the green. I said, 'Tournament’s over.' It doesn’t make any difference what anyone else is going to do. Somebody is going to make enough mistakes, and Tiger won’t make any, and he didn’t.”

A guy who knew how to win, seeing that in another player.  Very cool.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

16 hours ago, Nail said:

I must have heard it 100 times over the last 3 days. Are you watching it in another language?? Lol

Ha! I must have missed them all. Did hear it today, though, so all is right with the world.  :-)

Congratulations to Tiger and condolences to Molinari and the others It was a fun Sunday to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

In case people are interested, Tiger's post-round interview in full: 

A lot of painful questions in there, but the bit that will stand out to all of those who read LSW would be the amount of importance he stresses on missing in the right places - i.e. 12, 18. 

Throughout the interview, he comes across as very at-peace and humble - big fan of this interview.

15 hours ago, b101 said:

Dunno. If the wind gets up... I don't see it being that much higher than -13.

Not sure the wind got up, but I'll take this call!

• Like 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Two closing thoughts:

1) How spoiled for Masters tournaments have we been in the last five years? We are really overdue a poor one...

2) Molinari's game feels perfectly set up for a US Open. He'll be back.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

9 minutes ago, b101 said:

Two closing thoughts:

1) How spoiled for Masters tournaments have we been in the last five years? We are really overdue a poor one...

2) Molinari's game feels perfectly set up for a US Open. He'll be back.

Agree, i think Molinari is going to go from strength to strength.

I was also pleased how well Poulter did, plus in the interview post round with the BBC he seemed pretty humble at the prospects of being in contention simply stating that while he and Tiger are the same age Tiger is way better so he was just happy to be there and playing well.

Always liked Poults but he's gone up a bit more in my estimation after this weekend.

Plus some great golf from Finau, Koepka and that Xander Souffle fella :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!