IGNORED

Always Play the Same Ball vs. Play Many Brands

Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Same Ball vs Many Types/Brands  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consistently play the same brand and version of golf ball or play whatever is available?

• Always play the same brand and version
    • Always play the same brand but will use different versions (e.g. Titleist Pro VI and Pro VIx)
    • Tend to play one brand/version when playing for a score or tournament only
    • Play the same type of ball (e.g. Urethane cover with multi layers) but brands change
    • Play anything except cheap 2 piece balls
    • Play anything that is round
  2. 2. Do you think playing the same brand and version consistently helps or would help your play?

Some golf buddies were discussing whether they play the same ball all the time.  Some swear that their game is better with a consistent ball usage.  Others feel the ball is over rated and any urethane covered multi layer ball works fine.  Mind you, these are not low single digit golfers but cover a span of maybe 7 to 15 handicap.

Personally, I see the benefit of playing a single brand and version of a quality ball.  With my swing speed and ability, the benefit may be hard to quantify.  Still, we all strive for consistency and ball consistency likely helps even someone like me.

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typo

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I chose “same type of ball” because I played the Snell MTB Black and ProV1x mostly this year. They are very similar. I do think that playing a similar ball all the time helps, especially around the greens. Predictable short game shots and approach shots are key.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I also went for "same type".  For me that's medium everything.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I play with whatever brand I have in the bag at the time. Most of the balls in my bag come from gifts as that’s the only thing some family members know to get me since I’m the golfer of the family lol. This year I have played anything from ProV1 to “I think this is a golf ball”. No I do not think having a specific brand would help me at this time because I’m just not good enough. Heck, I had a span of 40 strokes between my best and worst rounds this year. I need to fix my flaws before I start worrying about getting anything out of a golf ball. 

Probably 95%+ of my play is with a Bridgestone ball. Mostly e7s. 

I try other brands from time to time, based on the hype at that time, but they all still. play about the same, for me. Same distance. Same dispersion. Same on the green.

Even the higher priced premium balls play about the same for me. At least there is no noticeable improvement in my scores, which to me is all that matters. .  

No, I am a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" golfer. New, and improved usually isn't. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I play pro v 1 and I can't tell the difference between the X or the regular one so on part 2 of the question a said "no".  Makes no difference.

I only reason I play pro v is because I have over a whole backpack of new ones.  My parents have them land in their yard at an alarming rate.  I'll die before I use them all.  

I did do a little comparison one night at work.  Took the 2 types of titties, a Taylormade TP whatever a chrome soft and a Bridgestone Bb330 or something ...all the same type of balls and hit them on the gc2.  Very little difference in any of them.  You could take e names off of all of them and whatever I played...id play the same.

I went with the Same brand but different version vote.....    

I've been using MaxFli's since 2013.....   i've dabbled with a few other's but, always felt meehh about them, even if they was in the same category..      but I just feel comfortable hitting the Maxfli's because i know what to expect from the ball

It is what it is

I'm a 12.1 HC and my only preference is soft feel balls, but am not good enough to say one ball works better than another.  More often one brand will be "the ball" for a few rounds, then another one will play better.....until next week.  🙂

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

I voted same brand same ball, but I do play a different ball depending on the season. I switched to the AVX this past year and used it through the summer months when the courses were soft and wet. When the winter comes around I switch to the ProV1x to add a little spin off the irons to help with the harder greens we encounter. I play Titleist almost exclusively except when I give try other premium ball just for fun. I like to see what else is out there, I have just never found anything that performs better than a Titleist. And working at a golf course I get them for about the same cost as a dozen Snells so why would I ever switch?

As far as it helping my game I said a little, but I have never been a big believer in the importance of a golf ball. While you may see a difference between a crappy Top Flite and a ProV1, all the premium balls are pretty close to one another. And dependent on your abilities you might not see much difference between a $0.75 Pinnacle and a $4.50 Titleist. I often question the validity of a 20 handicap's claim that one ball outperforms another. I personally don't believe a 20 handicapper hits the ball solidly enough to see a difference. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I take my golf too seriously, but my opinion is that sticking with one ball might help and can't hurt while constantly changing balls can't help and might hurt so I stick with one ball (although I do have a 2nd type I occasionally use).  Definitely believe my distances and driving is helped by using one ball.  Actually planning on doing a test soon around the greens.

• Upvote 1

I do tend to play the same ball and version (e6) for what may be a not important golf reason.  When I returned to golf after decades away, I just happened to get the e6 on a recommendation and because they were on sale that week.  I liked the results and when time came to stock up, low and behold they were on sale again (though, I was going to get them again, even at regular price).

So perhaps it is play with the devil you know or a very minor bit of superstition, but that is my choice.  Right now, my focus is on club and swing technique. What I am walking at may come later.

th.jpeg

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I like to try many brands and types and usually only play them for a few rounds to see how they preform.
I'll change different brands with various conditions, wet, windy, cooler temps at times.

With a lower swing speed, many of the premium manufactured do not work as well for my game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I play a variety of different balls.   I recently started playing the Titleist TruSoft.   I have also played the Taylormade Project A, Bridgestone E6, Callaway Supersoft,  Callaway Chromesoft and Srixon Q-Star Tour.    I'm not very brand loyal but these seem to be my go to golf balls.     I do have about 8 dozen of the original Kirkland sitting here that I will play next year. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I’m not good enough to NOT play the same ball all the time.  I need as much consistency as I can get in my game…

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have some issue with your first criteria in the first part of your poll. How do you know which "version" of the ball you are playing? Simply by the labeling?

The reason I say this is that way back in the day I fell in love with the Dunlop Maxfli AR432 ball. The thing would take off like a rocket, had great feel coming off the clubface, and I could make it move any way I wanted.

So, the next Spring arrives and I go buy a fresh couple of dozen. They were as hard as rocks! They didn't go like they did before! What the hell happened here? 

Well, the manufacturer changed the ball, but kept the labeling hoping to capitalize on brand loyalty! I can't tell you how much I hate that! 

I wish this wasn't true, but it is. I pick out golf balls the way my sister picks out a car... by color.

For what ever reason that sherbet orange Volvik Vivid is just so darned easy for me to see. I play that one more often than any other. So when I play a tournament I use that one because it's what I'm used to. It's also nice because it seems everyone and their cat now plays either Pro V1 or Chrome-soft and I like being a little different. 

For non-tournament rounds I will definitely try just about anything. Somebody on this forum put me onto the Cut golf balls and I like them. I'm not sure it makes a really huge difference in my score, as long as it's not some real P.O.S. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

23 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I wish this wasn't true, but it is. I pick out golf balls the way my sister picks out a car... by color.

Not totally ridiculous.  I tried a new ball this year because Titleist came out with a yellow ball.  I only play yellow balls with Bridgestone RX my favorite.  Just can see a white ball as well.

I used to be a same ball guy, but recently I've been experimenting with a bunch of different balls. I haven't really noticed much of a difference. There might be a marginal gain to using one ball, but probably not one that I'm going to notice.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!