IGNORED

QBE Shootout — Lexi Thompson Holds Her Own Against the Boys?

I didn’t see much discussion about this on the internet in genreral.  The consensus has always been if a lady plays in a men’s event it’s just a publicity stunt.  The men are so much better that even the number 1 woman would struggle to finish anywhere but near the bottom.

In this even Lexi obviously had a male partner (Tony Finau), but she still had to play plenty of shots that counted and the team seemed very much in contention the whole way.  Yes they slipped to 7 strokes off the lead by the end, but that was still near the middle of the pack — and ahead of several world class players.  A couple extra good breaks and they could have been right there.

I only saw the second round.  In the first two rounds they had the option of using Finau’s drive, which is certainly a huge benefit over a woman in an individual event.  I wonder if the 3rd round, fourball, was too much to overcome as Thompson had to play her own ball the whole way and perhaps couldn’t contribute enough.  I couldn’t find any info on that round other than that the team scored 65 which was 5 back of the best score (60) and 3 ahead of the worst (68).  Still doesn’t seem half bad.

Comments?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

She is a great player but among women. In comparation with a pga pro she is not even close. The tournament format and a really good performance from Finau make it look that she wasn´t that far from them but in stroke play she will be dead last.

Despite that, the tournament have an special atmosphier, an a better suited format for her so i think it´s ok that she was invited.

• iacas changed the title to QBE Shootout — Lexi Thompson Holds Her Own Against the Boys?

Lexi is getting a big advantage in that Tony hits the ball a long way. Since they played an alternate form of alternate shot (both people tee off and they take the best tee shot), they are not hampered by her lack of distance off the tee.

I am not sure how the course is set up. It looks to be a laid back type of event. I am sure the course was set up for players to go low.

• Administrator

The three rounds (IIRC) are basically a scramble, an alternate shot (she didn't play from the men's tees, did she?), and a better ball.

Yeah… pretty much an ideal format for her to play in and not look bad, especially with a small field and some of the guys aren't really trying as it's a silly season event.

I agree, she not nearly as good as the men.  It’s just a solid performance from a woman in a men’s event.  The format definately helped.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The three rounds (IIRC) are basically a scramble, an alternate shot (she didn't play from the men's tees, did she?), and a better ball.

Yeah… pretty much an ideal format for her to play in and not look bad, especially with a small field and some of the guys aren't really trying as it's a silly season event.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/12/08/lexi-thompson-outdrives-charley-hoffman/

This story implies they did play from the same tees, at least in the scramble and modified alternate shot (in the alternate shot they scrambled their drives).  I don’t know if they let her play closer tees during the best ball but that would be pretty strange, don’t you think?

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, Vinsk said:

Easy people....it says ‘ nearly.’ So Lexi nearly win  a tournament against some mini-tour guys. Yeah. Ok. 

It would be a bit more news worthy if Lexi played from the same men's tournament tees....which she did not.

With the delay of the LPGA start...Beth Ann is struggling mightily to write any of substance with respect to women's golf.