IGNORED

Mallet or Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Prefer a Mallet or a Blade Putter?

• Blade
    • Mallet

definitely a blade. I used to use that bulky odyssey 2 ball beast, but my gf picked me up a S.C. Newport 2 and I love it. Scotty Cameron makes a mallet style blade cross-over (detour??) that can let you pick up the ball with the putter head like a blade, but has the alignment tools of a mallet.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a blade person. I love my Bulleyes. I can switch hit if I am so incline...something I tried a while back. I putted left handed when within 6 feet.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

I use the odyssey white hot XG #9, and it is a mix of a mallet and a blade. Before I had a big mallet putter, and was just to big. So i decided to go back to a very old offset putter, which was basically a mallet blade putter like the white hot, and it was working out much better, so when I got new clubs I thought I would upgrade the putter as well, and it's been perfect for me.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

• 3 weeks later...
Odyssey White Hot #5

In my Grom:

HiBore XLS 10.5 / ProLaunch Blue
Ti Great Big Bertha Warbird 3 Wood
Killer Whale 5 WoodPinemeadow Command 3 Hy Eye 2 + 4-9 Irons 588 RTG 49 "Special", Gunmetal 56, RTG 60 White Hot #5 Tour B330-RXEpoch Tees Royal Oaks Golf Club

I have played both blade and mallet, and I prefer the look of the blade.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

I used to use a blade, and probably in my heart of hearts still prefer the look of a blade. However, the thing I most prefer is seeing the ball go in the hole and my new putter (Rife Barbados 2 bar Hyrbrid)is a mallet and does that better than anything that I had ever tried.

• 1 month later...
Ive been strickly a blade guy, specifically the ping anser (ive used 3 different versions of them) and thought the only mallet that could get me off of them was the ping C67, but yesterday i was hitting some putts with a Rife Mr Beasley Mallet and i was very taken with that putter. Im considering buying one pre-owned on ebay or something if I can get one for 60 or 70 bucks.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I use a vintage Ping Anser. It's so discoloured now after almost 20 years of use. May treat myself to an Odyssey white hot blade putter later this year.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

I line up my putts a lot better, and perform a lot better with a blade.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

i got a white hot mallet about a year ago and at first i loved it. The reason i loved it is because it makes lag putts much easier. However i am now to the point where i hate it. I miss the shorties like u wouldnt believe but hwen i putt with my friends ping blade i makee all the short ones. I am definetly going to a blade asap.

I prefer blades
I have an Odyssey White Hot XG #9 though, it falls under both categories, kind of.
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

I prefer a blade because it looks better at address to me and I seem to put better with the blades.

In my stand bag

r7 draw driver
G10 5 wood
3 r7 hybrid 4-pw tour burner irons CG10 50* and 56* wedges 60* wedge studio select newport putter D2 feel

Neither. I use a high MOI putter from Golfsmith (see my sig). It doesn't qualify as either type in the poll.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Neither. I use a high MOI putter from Golfsmith (see my sig). It doesn't qualify as either type in the poll.

How do you like it? One of the strangest putters i've seen

âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

I use a high MOI putter from Golfsmith (see my sig

Whoa! That puts the TM Spider in its box!

Its a blade for me. I just can't really bring myself to like them. I don't really mind compact mallets, but Im not a fan of the larger heads.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Whoa! That puts the TM Spider in its box!

I always used a blade until I got the yips last year.... this putter from Golfsmith made golf fun again, just when I thought my glory days were over. You can get past the appearance of just about anything when it helps you lower your handicap. I still don't like the big headed drivers, but I use one because my game is better with it. Like most players, I have preferences, but I still try to keep an open mind, and this putter just works for me. It may look ugly, but going around 18 holes in 27 or 28 putts (my low this year is 24) sort of changes my feelings on that. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

It doesn't hurt that I'm a long time Star Trek fan too....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been using a Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 since they became available quite a few years ago. I've tried mallets on occasion, but can't seem to find a mallet that offers the same feel and control that I have with my blade. I actually can't find anything that I like as much as my good old Scotty.

Driver: FT5 Tour 9.5*
3 Wood: FT Tour 15*
Irons: X-Tour 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Custom Shop Studio Stainless Newport 2

Does the OP understand that there may be some people who prefer one style (blade) but, for performance reasons, use the other style putter (mallet), or am I the only one? I did not vote in the poll because I prefer a blade but putt better, and recently put into play, a mallet (check the sig.).

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!