IGNORED

Mallet or Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Prefer a Mallet or a Blade Putter?

• Blade
    • Mallet

It doesn't hurt that I'm a long time Star Trek fan too....

Holy Cow! It's the perfect gift for the geeky golfer! (which I am). Hadn't seen that before. I know what I want for Chirstmas.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a fricken' stealth bomber...holy ****....

TM Spider, move over. There's a new big guy in town.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

My wife just got me one of these for Father's Day. I'm waiting for the shaft (backordered) to arrive so I can build it! :)

In my Grom:

HiBore XLS 10.5 / ProLaunch Blue
Ti Great Big Bertha Warbird 3 Wood
Killer Whale 5 WoodPinemeadow Command 3 Hy Eye 2 + 4-9 Irons 588 RTG 49 "Special", Gunmetal 56, RTG 60 White Hot #5 Tour B330-RXEpoch Tees Royal Oaks Golf Club

I've gotta go with the mallet. I talked my wife into getting me a Odyssey White Hot putter center shafted with the tour weight. It is a beautiful peice of equipment.

In my UofL bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper-X 9º Stiff flex, Integra Sooo Long 650cc 9º Steel shaft.(Happy Gilmore)
Fairway Wood: Integra Sooo Long 7w
Irons: Integra Sooo Long 3i-PW
Wedge: Power Bilt Grand Slam PW 56º, Northwestern 60º Dual WedgePutter: Odyssey White Hot 2-ball putter center...

I've used a Odyssey White Hot Two-Ball for years, and haven't made the complete switch yet, but I'm starting to only use an old Ping Anser 5 we had lying around. I just feel more comfortable with a blade putter - I'm finding it's easier to line up putts and much easier as far as distance control. I just simply feel much more comfortable and confident with a blade putter.

I'd LOVE and kill for a SC Studio Select, but 300 dollars is quite a bit and while they are great putters, putters is about personal skill + comfortability. So I'll look elsewhere for now, maybe a newer Ping Anser or a Yes!.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I like the weight and feel of the mallet, I just can;t stand the blade putters. They feel so flimsy to me.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I have a swinging door putting stroke, not straight back and through. I was told to get a toe heavy putter, which means it needs to be a blade, correct? I haven't found mallets that are toe weighted. "IF" that advice is even correct.

i love blade putters and thats all i used feel nice to me the putters that are looking more and more like shoe boxes with inserts are ridiculous..... my circa 62 model 1 has the retro look and plays VERY NICE

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

I've been using an odyssey white steel blade putter for a while and i loved the feel. I used a family members older nike mallet putter. Oh my goodness. I love the weight with the mallet allowing me to not swing as hard and gauge my strength so much better. I played 18 holes with it and only 3-putted once. I'm gonna try out some odyessy mallets and see how i like them.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Blade. Ive tried mallet putters in the past and IMO they dont offer the same feel that a blade does.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My confidence is so high with my Red X I haven't thought about playing with a blade in quite some time; I've found that ball choice to be a much bigger factor for "feel".

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the 2-Ball but after a few rounds I sold it and got my current White Hot XG #1. I prefer the blade much more than the 2 ball.

In my Extreme Sport II Stand Bag
Driver: Sasquatch Sumo2 10.5*
Hybrid: Slingshot Tour 3 21*
Irons: CCI Cast 4-AW
Wedges: Tour Action 588 60*Putter: White Hot XG #1Balls: ProV1 and ProV1x

Love my Scotty Newport 2 - every now and then I use the RedX centre shaft mallet just to remind me how much I like the Newport 2!!!
What I play:
Titleist 909D2 9.5 Matrix Ozik xcon 6 | Ping i15 14 Axivcore Tour Red | Ping i15 hybrid 17 Axivcore Tour Red | Titleist AP2 TTDGS300 | Vokey 52.08 SM 58.12 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 | Titleist ProV1x

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've always used blades, and I don't plan on changing. I want to stay with what's worked so well over the years...

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I have been a blade guy for years, but today I bought my first mallet style. I've been playing lots faster greens lately and just haven't had the touch I am used to with my blade (Cameron), so the pro shop had a WHite Hot whateveryacallit Marxman mini...it felt great on the green (after my roung dangit) so I bought it. We'll see tomorrow.
Lately I have been swapping putters dependent on where I am playing. Some courses I play are pretty rough yet and the greens almost need a sledgehammer.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Mallet, just feels so gooood.

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

When I Started playing, long long time ago, I use to have 8802 Wilson Blade putter. That was the great putter. I bought that putter on garage sale for $5. It was old and dingy, but still great.
The I switched to Ping Anser (again from garage sale). Great putter too.
When the mallet craze start, several years ago, I've upgraded to Odyssey DXF 2 Ball Mid. Never heaved great results with that one.
Now I'm back to basics! Blade for me!

Weapons of choice:
Big Bertha 460 Driver
3W Big Bertha (2007)
TaylorMade r7 Draw Rescue Hybrid Wood #3TaylorMade RAC OS 2 IronsMens Vokey Spin Milled Tour 56 & 60PING Karsten Series Anser2 (I like the classic look and feel)Whatever Ball is on sale (currently Pro V1 2007)

Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!