Sign in to follow this  
shortgame85

Mallet or Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Prefer a Mallet or a Blade Putter?

• Blade
    • Mallet

96 posts / 23003 viewsLast Reply

I use a heel shafted semi mallet. For most of my golf life I have favored Anser style putters. As I now have a bad back I can't practice enough so the mallet seems to cover up a some mistakes on short puts.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I have played with a blade since I first picked up a golf club, but I have just recentley found out that I much prefer the mallet blade on my Odyssey Whit Hot #9

In my bag I have...
Driver InSight BUL 5000 10.5 S w/ Aldila Speedline
Hybrid Rescue Mid Hybrid 16m degree S
Irons CG4 Irons S 3-PW
Wedges 56 Degree Tom Watson Gunmetal, 60 Degree A10
Putter 34 inch Whit Hot #9 model

I have the Marxman Blade.
But, Im not sure exactly what catagory it falls into.
Mainly because it has a beefy head. But, the blade look suits my eye more.

Personally i use a mallet putter.

If your putting stroke is straight back and straight through then the mallet I believe would be more suitable.

If your putting stroke backswing is slightly in from the target line with the face slightly opening
to straight
to back in again during the followthrough (Tigers stroke)
then the blade I believe is ideal for you.

Hope the above makes sense!

Just switched recently to mallet. My home course a couple years ago had slowww greens so a blade was a bad idea. Made the switch and am pumped to get out and try the mallet. My Scotty Cameron Newport just came out of a container of Coca Cola today and I will be giving it an oil can finish.

I recently bought an old school blade putter like the one Ben Crenshaw uses and like I used as a kid. 30 foot putts come up 6 feet short if you don't hit the middle of the blade.

After using modern blade putters (ie. scotty cameron) and a mallet (2-ball) it is amazing the difference.

As great as a true blade looks and feels - its out of my bag after one round. No wonder nobody on tour uses them any more

I think mallets have gotten a lot of attention because of the addition information about alignment they provide (e.g. two-ball). Personally my eye has a hard time with all of that mass behind the ball so I'm a blade guy.

I like mallets because i putt with a left hand on bottom grip. It lets me make a more pure, syncopated stroke. Although when i play courses with really fast greens, i prefer to bust out my cameron blade. You just can't go wrong with a scotty.

blade - out of the 5 putters ive ever bought only 1 was a mallet. That was the 2 ball which was very useful for a time. Long putts became difficult though. Short putts were my weakness last year with a Newport. The SeeMore has both worlds - alignment (like a mallet) and a blade look.

I love putting.

I used a 2-ball for a few years but recently switched back to blade with a Scotty Newport 2. I was struggling with the feel and weight on putts which i've found is the downside to the mallets, however I have always liked the alignment features they offer. But i've found out for me its more important to get the weight right on the putts and that was the reason I went with a blade.

While I love the look of a blade I putt significantly better with a mallet. I keep coming back to the Yes! Olivia.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently bought an old school blade putter like the one Ben Crenshaw uses and like I used as a kid. 30 foot putts come up 6 feet short if you don't hit the middle of the blade.

Anyone have any stats on the which more tour players are using?

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!