IGNORED

Mallet or Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Prefer a Mallet or a Blade Putter?

• Blade
    • Mallet

I use a heel shafted semi mallet. For most of my golf life I have favored Anser style putters. As I now have a bad back I can't practice enough so the mallet seems to cover up a some mistakes on short puts.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I like a mallet. Always have.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played with a blade since I first picked up a golf club, but I have just recentley found out that I much prefer the mallet blade on my Odyssey Whit Hot #9

In my bag I have...
Driver InSight BUL 5000 10.5 S w/ Aldila Speedline
Hybrid Rescue Mid Hybrid 16m degree S
Irons CG4 Irons S 3-PW
Wedges 56 Degree Tom Watson Gunmetal, 60 Degree A10
Putter 34 inch Whit Hot #9 model

I have the Marxman Blade.
But, Im not sure exactly what catagory it falls into.
Mainly because it has a beefy head. But, the blade look suits my eye more.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Personally i use a mallet putter.

If your putting stroke is straight back and straight through then the mallet I believe would be more suitable.

If your putting stroke backswing is slightly in from the target line with the face slightly opening
to straight
to back in again during the followthrough (Tigers stroke)
then the blade I believe is ideal for you.

Hope the above makes sense!

Just switched recently to mallet. My home course a couple years ago had slowww greens so a blade was a bad idea. Made the switch and am pumped to get out and try the mallet. My Scotty Cameron Newport just came out of a container of Coca Cola today and I will be giving it an oil can finish.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

I recently bought an old school blade putter like the one Ben Crenshaw uses and like I used as a kid. 30 foot putts come up 6 feet short if you don't hit the middle of the blade.

After using modern blade putters (ie. scotty cameron) and a mallet (2-ball) it is amazing the difference.

As great as a true blade looks and feels - its out of my bag after one round. No wonder nobody on tour uses them any more

I think mallets have gotten a lot of attention because of the addition information about alignment they provide (e.g. two-ball). Personally my eye has a hard time with all of that mass behind the ball so I'm a blade guy.

WITB
r7 SQ TP 8.5* Diamana White 83 X
GS Tour 14* Aero 85 X
Md 21* Aero 95 S
MP-67 MP-R Black Ni Wedges Red Circa62 No.2

I like mallets because i putt with a left hand on bottom grip. It lets me make a more pure, syncopated stroke. Although when i play courses with really fast greens, i prefer to bust out my cameron blade. You just can't go wrong with a scotty.

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

blade - out of the 5 putters ive ever bought only 1 was a mallet. That was the 2 ball which was very useful for a time. Long putts became difficult though. Short putts were my weakness last year with a Newport. The SeeMore has both worlds - alignment (like a mallet) and a blade look.

I love putting.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I used a 2-ball for a few years but recently switched back to blade with a Scotty Newport 2. I was struggling with the feel and weight on putts which i've found is the downside to the mallets, however I have always liked the alignment features they offer. But i've found out for me its more important to get the weight right on the putts and that was the reason I went with a blade.

In Ozone blue/argyle bag:

Driver: G10 - 10.5 Grafalloy Prolauch Red Stiff
5 wood: G5 with grafalloy prolaunch blue
Irons 4-Gap: AP2 - Project X 5.5 SW: CG10 56degreeLW: Bob Vokey Spin Milled 60 degreePutter: Studio Style Newport 2 (Custom Shop)Ball: TP Black/Red

• 1 month later...
I like mallets but just feel more confident with a blade.

The Nike Unitized Retro is the best IMO.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

While I love the look of a blade I putt significantly better with a mallet. I keep coming back to the Yes! Olivia.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've hit plenty of mallet putters but just can't get used to em. I've putted with a blade for too long now. Plus my putting is my strongest part of my game so if it ain't broke...

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I recently bought an old school blade putter like the one Ben Crenshaw uses and like I used as a kid. 30 foot putts come up 6 feet short if you don't hit the middle of the blade.

Anyone have any stats on the which more tour players are using?

I have always preferred a mallet putter. I am have the hamilton mallet putter that I plan on trying this year.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!