IGNORED

Mallet or Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do You Prefer a Mallet or a Blade Putter?

• Blade
    • Mallet

Increasingly, I see people using mallet putters. Yet, producers such as Cameron, Mills, etc., continue to turn out variations of the classic blade putters along with mallets. Which do you use and why?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a TaylorMade Mezza Monza AGSI mallet putter that I love. I can't really put my finger on why I like it better than a blade. Maybe it's because it's got that extra mass to help me get the ball moving especially on longer putts. It feels to me that it makes the longer putt more of a finesse move.

I tried a lot of different putters at the store when I picked this one out. I based it off feel of the ball off the face and how many putts I made with each one. The blades I've played with seem to "click" more off the face than the mallets. I like the softer feel personally.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I clicked the Blade option above in the poll. Oh well.

I voted maller... but really I would use whatever fit my eye and performed well for me. I have a PING G2i mallet right now, and before that I had a blade-ish Taylormade with a little scoop on the back. When I looked at putters, most of the ones I was seriously considering were mallets, but I did like a few that were blades or blade-ish with a little extension.

Why it´s necessary to choose?
I´ve got the best of both worlds in my Slighter Tacoma Custom Made :

- It´s a classic Anser head blade
- Has the MOI of a mallet due to a 360gr head

I am not sure exactly what constitutes a mallet putter vs. a blade. I have a MacGregor Bobby Grace V-FOIL GT Putter that I absolutely love but I don't always use it. I don't like the mallet style putter for shorter putts, it is harder to get a good feel because of all the weight, but for long putts it works like a charm. I have been using my Ping B60 with great results. It took a little time to get used to after using the Bobby Grace but I have much better feel over all with it. I think that the Ping B60 would be classified as a mallet putter but compared to something like the Bobby Grace it sure seems like a blade to me....?

I went from a Ping Zing blade to an Odessey 2-Ball about 3 years ago. I haven't tried any others. I'm on my 2nd 2-Ball...the latest one has the Saturn ring. That new Spider looks interesting.

I use a TaylorMade Rosa Monza Center Shafted Mallet. I have hit a center shaft putter for the past few years and do not think I would go back, and I love the feel of a mallet.

I like the look of the blade but have had trouble controling it. I use a Heavy Putter B3-M Mallet. Before that was a Odyssey 2-ball center shaft. It was too lite. I have a few Ping blades and a Cameron, but just can't contol them. Too much Caffeine!

I use are real blade putter, a 1955 Macgregor M2. I also use a Macgregor IM5 from the 60's. For me, putting is all about feel and for me mallet putters just don't deliver the same level of feel required.

There is a reason that the BullsEye putter is still around.

Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!