IGNORED

What's Worse: 50 Yds Away in Rough or 100 Ft Putt?

buttputt40
Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, buttputt40 said:

Is not a troll as the power and uplift of hitting from the rough may be better for many then putting on a slow green when a tap may just be as good as a hard hit.  

I still would rather putt on STIMP 6 greens versus hitting from the rough.

No, the rough is way tougher to judge than putting the ball.  Is the ball sitting up or down? Is there morning dew?  Do you have an weird lie angles? Are you clearing a bunker? Are you short sided? Is the green running away from you? How hard or soft are the greens?

I can guarantee that a 100 FT putt will have way less variables to consider. the fact that you have a nearly a perfect lie compared to the rough and you are closer to the hole makes it the best choice.

You can throw out some outlier examples like, "What if the green is burnt out or patchy?". Even then, you can still pitch the ball off the green. If the green is that crappy, I might just pitch the ball over the beat up sections anyways. A 100 FT pitch is easier than a 50 yard pitch.

Yea, 100 FT is better than 150 FT.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, buttputt40 said:

Is not a troll as the power and uplift of hitting from the rough may be better for many then putting on a slow green when a tap may just be as good as a hard hit.  

I dont care about "power and uplift" I care about stats which directly my score.

Making a 100 ft putt for birdie gives me more "power and uplift" than making a 10 ft putt for birdie, but I'm always going to take the 10 ft birdie chance over the 100 ft because statistics state I will make more 10 footers than 100 footers, and I care about having as low of a score as possible. 

Your response ignored all of the facts and data points I presented. Please share some facts and statistics that back up your claim that it is a tie/equal odds.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Why no Poll?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

No brainer, putt from 100f all day long. I will do 2 or 3 shots. From the rough a will do 2..3 and sometimes 4 shots. Scoring average will be better with the 100 footer.
Maybe a 100 footer putt against 10 yards pitch shot from the rough could give us more to discuss. 

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

I dont care about "power and uplift" I care about stats which directly my score.

Making a 100 ft putt for birdie gives me more "power and uplift" than making a 10 ft putt for birdie, but I'm always going to take the 10 ft birdie chance over the 100 ft because statistics state I will make more 10 footers than 100 footers, and I care about having as low of a score as possible. 

Your response ignored all of the facts and data points I presented. Please share some facts and statistics that back up your claim that it is a tie/equal odds.

Oops, I interpreted the OP as being a 100 foot for a 3 putt double after a failed chip from 50 yards off the green or something like that 😁

Yeah, a 3 putt bogey after a 250+ yard drive  and a failed chip isn’t as bad 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Why no Poll?

Look at his post history.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not really a fair comparison is it? For an 80's shooter, a 10% miss is decent (tour pro would be 5%).  So in this instance I would expect to be 10 feet from the hole with the putt and 15 with the wedge shot, so I would take the putt.

If I was 30 yards in the rough or 90 feet on the green, assuming I wasn't short sided I'm probably more comfortable with the wedge out of the rough.  Nothing more than having practiced it more.

In reality, I would probably make more 2's out of the rough but also make more 4's and I doubt if there would be much difference in average score.

10 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Not really a fair comparison is it?

Whether the comparison is fair or not is irrelevant when you answer the question using statistics/data. The use of statistics and data allow one to objectively compare two shots/scenarios and determine which one will, on average, take less shots to get in the hole. 

13 minutes ago, gbogey said:

For an 80's shooter, a 10% miss is decent (tour pro would be 5%).  So in this instance I would expect to be 10 feet from the hole with the putt and 15 with the wedge shot, so I would take the putt.

Expectations are often vastly different than actuality. Just because you expect to put it to 15 feet with a wedge, good chances are your average is much much further away than 15 ft.

14 minutes ago, gbogey said:

If I was 30 yards in the rough or 90 feet on the green, assuming I wasn't short sided I'm probably more comfortable with the wedge out of the rough.  Nothing more than having practiced it more.

Just because you are more comfortable with one shot over another doesnt mean you will score better. 

17 minutes ago, gbogey said:

In reality, I would probably make more 2's out of the rough but also make more 4's and I doubt if there would be much difference in average score.

Your "reality" is different from actuality. The statistics I shared earlier show there is a pretty significant difference in average score for each scenario across both PGA tour players and amateur level golfers.

I have yet to see any statistics or facts that indicate being in the rough at 50 yards will result in lower scores on average than a 100 foot putt.

9 minutes ago, klineka said:

I have yet to see any statistics or facts that indicate being in the rough at 50 yards will result in lower scores on average than a 100 foot putt.

Of course it won't because the shots aren't the same. Using a Tour pro, their Median miss is 5% of distance, so from 50 yards they will be -7.5 feet 50% of the time and +7.5 feet 50% of the time (assuming the rough doesn't impact the statistics greatly).  Likewise, from 100 feet they will be -5 feet 50% of the time and +5 feet 50% of the time.  You might as well ask would you rather have a 100 foot putt or a 150 foot putt - one should always take the 100 foot putt.

Using shots of equal distance, I said 90 feet because the math is easy, I would typically chose the rough.  Why? I've hit that shot hundreds of times whereas I've probably had the putt 15-20 times.  So yes using shots of equal distance I believe that I would tend to do better overall with a wedge from the rough.  If I was a tour pro who had all the time I needed to practice both shots, putting is likely the way to go.  

4 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Of course it won't because the shots aren't the same. 

Like I said, this discussion isn't about whether or not the shots are the same, it's about answering the question that was presented. I answered the question how it was presented.

6 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Using shots of equal distance, I said 90 feet because the math is easy, I would typically chose the rough.  

That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about a 50 yd shot from the rough and a 100 foot putt. Which one of those will result in higher scores on average?

7 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Why? I've hit that shot hundreds of times whereas I've probably had the putt 15-20 times.  So yes using shots of equal distance I believe that I would tend to do better overall with a wedge from the rough.  If I was a tour pro who had all the time I needed to practice both shots, putting is likely the way to go.  

Sample size of one means pretty much nothing in statistics. It's foolish IMO for your entire opinion of a topic to be based on a sample size of one.

• Administrator

90 feet from the rough or 90 feet from the green? The green every time, at every level.

Sorry @gbogey.

33 minutes ago, gbogey said:

their Median miss is 5% of distance, so from 50 yards they will be -7.5 feet 50% of the time and +7.5 feet 50% of the time (assuming the rough doesn't impact the statistics greatly)

The rough does impact the statistics greatly.

That's why putting even from a slightly longer distance makes more sense.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Maybe a 100 footer putt against 10 yards pitch shot from the rough could give us more to discuss. 

This is much more interesting (but it'll be loaded with "depends" comments - rightly so).  But we still see both responses to the original question.  So it's not clearly as obvious to some as the rest of us.

Bill - 

55 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Using shots of equal distance, I said 90 feet because the math is easy, I would typically chose the rough.  Why? I've hit that shot hundreds of times whereas I've probably had the putt 15-20 times.  So yes using shots of equal distance I believe that I would tend to do better overall with a wedge from the rough.  If I was a tour pro who had all the time I needed to practice both shots, putting is likely the way to go.  

Have you tested this?

In the end you are just saying what you think you'd end up doing and stating it as a generalization.

Generally, a 50 yard shot from the rough is tougher than a 100 FT putt. Even at equal distance, a 100 FT shot from the rough is more difficult than a 100 FT putt.

You may think you're experience seems to tell you otherwise, but it probably isn't.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

50 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Have you tested this?

Yes and no.  Using a time frame from 2017, I played 55 rounds.  I had 15 putts over 50 feet and over 400 chips or pitches, defined as off the green up to 50 yards.  So putting from that distance was much less common.

Completing the stats - I doubt if I had any putts over 80 feet.  So from 50-80 feet, I 3 putted 40% of the time.  Not bad.  I can only assume from 90 feet I would be worse than 50-80 feet, so I would expect to 3 putt 50%-60% of the time.

Chipping/Pitching - let's say from 10-50 yards to put a distance on it, I got up and down 42% of the time.  Now that's worse than my 50-75 feet of putting, but a lot of the shots were harder as they were from further away.  

So I don't expect to see much difference in a 90 foot putt and a 30 yard pitch.  That's just my game and my experience, may not be true for anyone else.  In actuality, I would not be surprised to have slightly more 2's from the pitching, but there definitely would be more 4's, and in total pitching might be worse because of more 4's.  But the topic was about which would you choose.  I'm going for more 2's.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, buttputt40 said:

I prefer the 50 yard shot because while my ball is in the air it  removes much needed putting length. 

Just stop man. That makes no sense at all.

20 minutes ago, buttputt40 said:

I prefer the 50 yard shot because while my ball is in the air it  removes much needed putting length. 

Who is this guy, and why do we respond to him?

troll.png

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

In General from 100 feet for me:

• Good Chipping - I feel great with those shots if I can get within 15 feet of the hole.  Those are good chips and pitches. (yeah, I'm not that good at it yet.)  YEAH
  • Terrible Putting - I feel crappy if I'm outside of 10 feet of the hole.  That's a crappy putt.  DAMNIT

Summary - Regardless of how I feel about them, 10' < 15'   - Putting gives better results, even if it doesn't make me as happy.  It's all about expectations.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!