saevel25

PING NEW Blueprint Irons Spotted!

38 posts / 13839 viewsLast Reply

Ping's new player irons have been spotted on the PGA Tour!

ping-847-oosthuizen.jpg

Earlier this year at the U.S. Open, Tony Finau and Tyrrell Hatton were spotted testing a muscleback prototype iron that would eventually...

I have to say, they look really good. Maybe one of the best looking Ping Irons ever. 

Edited by saevel25

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Ping's new player irons have been spotted on the PGA Tour!

ping-847-oosthuizen.jpg

Earlier this year at the U.S. Open, Tony Finau and Tyrrell Hatton were spotted testing a...

I have to say, they look really good. Maybe one of the best looking Ping Irons ever. 

@mvmac I’m sure you already know...but there ya go.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:41 PM, Vinsk said:

@mvmac I’m sure you already know...but there ya go.

Yeah Miguel, Bubba, Louis and Finau already have them in the bag. One win already.

They are suppose to forged, very compact, narrow soles, thin topline. Possibly not a replacement for the iBlade irons. Which would be weird to have an iBlade 2.0 and these but maybe the Blueprint will be a very premium, exclusive line of irons.

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

but maybe the Blueprint will be a very premium, exclusive line of irons.

I hope not... I really like the look of these irons.

1 minute ago, mvmac said:

Couple more pics.

ping-blueprint-2.jpgping-blueprint-4.jpgping-blueprint-5-768x512.jpg

Thanks Mike! I think they resemble the i500. The ridge on the back has a curve to it rather than a slant..but otherwise pretty similar. Any info on what face technology is in them? i200 or i500? 

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Any info on what face technology is in them? i200 or i500? 

Don't know but I'm guessing they are going to be fairly low tech.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:54 PM, Vinsk said:

Any info on what face technology is in them?

As I understand it, it's a solid forging. The screw is there for added weight (and not because it is hollow-bodied as some people have speculated).

59 minutes ago, billchao said:

As I understand it, it's a solid forging. The screw is there for added weight (and not because it is hollow-bodied as some people have speculated).

Makes sense if these are being played by the guys Mike mentioned. If these become available I’ll trade my i500’s in. I’ve gone back to my i200’s. Sadly I just hit them better then the i500’s. But I love buying new clubs and I’m definitely a Ping fan.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

All PING clubs since the i3 have had some kind of weight port. Used for the performance of the club and also to match and customize swing weight. Their stock swing weight is D1 but I've played D3 for years and with all my sets, PING has always gotten each iron spot on. 

My boss has been trying to bug our PING rep about getting a set of the Blueprints, but he claims he doesn't know much beyond the pics.  Either it really is an exclusive release or they are waiting until Feb/March like a couple other companies before officially releasing.  It's all a part of the process, I think, build hype through teasers and tour releases, and then release to public a couple months later.

23 hours ago, phillyk said:

My boss has been trying to bug our PING rep about getting a set of the Blueprints, but he claims he doesn't know much beyond the pics.  Either it really is an exclusive release or they are waiting until Feb/March like a couple other companies before officially releasing.  It's all a part of the process, I think, build hype through teasers and tour releases, and then release to public a couple months later.

Yeah, I decent friends with my rep and same thing...it's like they know nothing about the club other than the name.  I understand though that they can't say anything.

I read the other day too that the heads would not be hollow but the screw is for weight.  So that's nice.  The 2 iron is saw in a picture ...you could shave with the sole.

On 12/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, Vinsk said:

Makes sense if these are being played by the guys Mike mentioned. If these become available I’ll trade my i500’s in. I’ve gone back to my i200’s. Sadly I just hit them better then the i500’s. But I love buying new clubs and I’m definitely a Ping fan.

Kevin, as much as I want to like the I500...I can't, they are awful for me too.   They go nowhere, too high no matter what shaft and they feel/sound awful.  I have a set of ie-1 irons that are head and shoulders above in all categories.

I really wish the I500 would have worked because I envisioned a split set of  I500 and Blueprint irons...

On 12/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, Vinsk said:

The screw is there for added weight

I am wondering how a screw adds weight to a solid, metallic head. If anything there would be slightly less material as the threads are not a perfect fit and the head of the screw has material removed to allow the screw driver to mate up. Perhaps the screw head is much more dense than the head material? Find that hard to believe. 

Maybe the screw is a style thing like fins on an old Cadillac.

Edited by Carl3

18 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

they feel/sound awful.

Totally agree. I just didn’t really get this when I first hit them in a demo session. I guess I was just excited and really liked how they looked. There is a definite ‘clank’ to them even when struck solid in the middle. My i200’s have a much more buttery feel. So far the S55’s and i200’s by far are my favorites from Ping. Hopefully I’ll find a buyer for the i500’s ...being a lefty makes it a bit harder to sell them.

4 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I am wondering how a screw adds weight to a solid, metallic head. If anything there would be slightly less material as the threads are not a perfect fit and the head of the screw has material removed to allow the screw driver to mate up. Perhaps the screw head is much more dense than the head material? Find that hard to believe. 

@billchao actually made the comment about the screw. But I like this question. Would a screw outweigh the material it replaced? Anyone? @iacas?

8 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

The screw is made from either heavier or lighter metal than the rest of the head