Sign in to follow this  
MichaelRemon

Opinions on This Iron/Shaft Combination?

8 posts / 977 viewsLast Reply

Hello fellow golfers,

I'm nearly playing for 5 years and I'm on handicap 5.3 at the moment. My goal is scratch. My first decent ironset were Taylormade TP burner 2.0 with Tour Issue S300 in them.

I'm currently playing the Prototype Tour Authentic Callaways with X100 TT in them, but I'm planning on selling them.

Now looking at these Callaway APEX MB18 irons and if i'd go for them I'd put in the X100 Tour Issue TT.

Anyone familar with these irons/shafts ? Watched some guides (mark crossfield) on p730 Taylormade versus apex MB Callaway were the APEX came out as less forgiving (for example offset numbers etc..). 

Kind regards,

Michael

Already playing the TT x100 in my current set and the trajectory is absolutely fenomenal with decent spin rates. 

It's just an upgrade to the Tour Issue TT x100 which has tighter tolerances etc.. (other thread-users are sceptic tho about the Tour Issue versus the standard dynamic gold)

cheers,

Michael

8 minutes ago, MichaelRemon said:

It's just an upgrade to the Tour Issue TT x100 which has tighter tolerances etc.. (other thread-users are sceptic tho about the Tour Issue versus the standard dynamic gold)

"Tour Issue" often just means a little more tolerance control or QA, and as a 5.3, I'm not sure that matters too much.

That said, if the cost is relatively small, go for it. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

"Tour Issue" often just means a little more tolerance control or QA, and as a 5.3, I'm not sure that matters too much.

That said, if the cost is relatively small, go for it. 

What does that actually mean more 'tolerance control' in terms of playabilty? Still a newbie on technical specifications.. but willing to learn 😄

40 minutes ago, MichaelRemon said:

What does that actually mean more 'tolerance control' in terms of playabilty? Still a newbie on technical specifications.. but willing to learn 😄

Tolerance control, quality assurance…

An average golfer might not care if their shaft flex is +/- 5% from standard, but a "Tour Issue" shaft might have a tolerance of only 1%.

Dynamic Gold shafts have a 2 gram tolerance. The tour issues have a .5 gram tolerance. It's the same shafts from the same manufacturing process, just picking the more consistent weighted ones and grouping them into an 8 shaft set. That is why there is no S200, X200 etc offered in the tour issue.

4 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Dynamic Gold shafts have a 2 gram tolerance. The tour issues have a .5 gram tolerance. It's the same shafts from the same manufacturing process, just picking the more consistent weighted ones and grouping them into an 8 shaft set. That is why there is no S200, X200 etc offered in the tour issue.

There you go - tighter tolerances. 🙂

Thank you @Adam C.