IGNORED

Which Club/Equipment Purchase Helped Your Game Overnight?

Note: This thread is 1893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On Christmas, I got a gift card from Golftown so went into the store on boxing day to check it out.

In my mind, I wanted to find a lob wedge as my performance with my current Nike one with 12* of bounce was noticeably worse than my performance with other clubs. I had read enough about low bounce wedges suiting certain turf conditions and swing styles and thought it sounded suited to me.

Within 4 swings, I knew right away the club was performing amazingly so I purchased it, it was 6* of bounce. It wasn't the only 6* bounce wedge I tried either. It also easily outperformed the Nike wedge I had which I brought in to compare.

So yeah, went in with my stock swing and improved the club category for the next season. It was a Cleveland Rtx3.

What's your example of this?

Edited by cutchemist42

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

If I had to pick a club, I would say my Nike ignite 3w (that I still have in the bag as of today). As soon as I hit that club the first time ( a LONG time ago), I smoked it. I still smoke it to this day. And it is very consistent and easy to hit. No matter how bad I am swinging on a particular day, I can always count on this club being good. I mean, the shaft is regular when I need stiff. The newer clubs probably go further. But until I find one that I hit as consistent and long as I hit this one, it's staying in the bag.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

16 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

On Christmas, I got a gift card from Golftown so went into the store on boxing day to check it out.

In my mind, I wanted to find a lob wedge as my performance with my current Nike one with 12* of bounce was noticeably worse than my performance with other clubs. I had read enough about low bounce wedges suiting certain turf conditions and swing styles and thought it sounded suited to me.

Within 4 swings, I knew right away the club was performing amazingly so I purchased it, it was 6* of bounce. It wasn't the only 6* bounce wedge I tried either. It also easily outperformed the Nike wedge I had which I brought in to compare.

So yeah, went in with my stock swing and improved the club category for the next season. It was a Cleveland Rtx3.

Wait untill after 3 months and answer your own question again. 

Played a TM M1 3 wood and changed it for an M2 flyhigh 3 wood. What a difference, still after 3 months 😉

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Which Club/Equipment Purchase Helped Your Game Overnight?

Some years ago I added a  custom fitted 7W to my bag. I recieved immediate,  positive results from it. It has been my goto club, (more or less) since then. 

Early last year, I had to replace my trusty Zone 1 putter that I had used for a few decades. I replaced it with an M1 Heavy Putter, that although I had had it for 15, or so years, was in like new, never been used condition. I had just hung on to it for some reason. It was an instant success for me. At 900 grams, it fit my putting stroke perfectly. 

Right now I am seeing great results in an old Nickent 4W I found many years ago in a bargain bin. Again, not sure why I hung on to it for so long. I have it in my "irons bag", and it does double duty as my driver, and fairway metal wood in that bag, replacing my 3W.  Nickent was a pretty popular club way back when. They went out of business all of a sudden for some reason. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

Some years ago I added a  custom fitted 7W to my bag. I recieved immediate,  positive results from it. It has been my goto club, (more or less) since then. 

Early last year, I had to replace my trusty Zone 1 putter that I had used for a few decades. I replaced it with an M1 Heavy Putter, that although I had had it for 15, or so years, was in like new, never been used condition. I had just hung on to it for some reason. It was an instant success for me. At 900 grams, it fit my putting stroke perfectly. 

Right now I am seeing great results in an old Nickent 4W I found many years ago in a bargain bin. Again, not sure why I hung on to it for so long. I have it in my "irons bag", and it does double duty as my driver, and fairway metal wood in that bag, replacing my 3W.  Nickent was a pretty popular club way back when. They went out of business all of a sudden for some reason. 

I still have a Nickent 2H that has great distance. I just never use it. It stays in my storage room.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

5 hours ago, TN94z said:

If I had to pick a club, I would say my Nike ignite 3w (that I still have in the bag as of today). As soon as I hit that club the first time ( a LONG time ago), I smoked it. I still smoke it to this day. And it is very consistent and easy to hit. No matter how bad I am swinging on a particular day, I can always count on this club being good. I mean, the shaft is regular when I need stiff. The newer clubs probably go further. But until I find one that I hit as consistent and long as I hit this one, it's staying in the bag.

I feel the same way about my Cobra S3 3W which I purchased years ago. I hit it great off the tee or grass and have not found any other that I like better. I even looked on Ebay to see if I could find another one, (in good condition) just in case I break this one.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

When I switched from long irons to hybrids. 

Having started golf 4 years ago, I was quickly told to get hybrids into the set over the long irons. I could understand/imagine how that change would have helped with little effort in a swing change.

20 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Mine is actually very close.  I needed wedges.  Tried several and within 3 or 4 swings, I KNEW the RTX3s were for me.

• Like 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

I'd have to say my Kuerig Machine. Now I can quickly make a cup of coffee and get to the course with more time to warm up. No longer needing to boil water for the French Press I normally use. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Gamegolf. It changed the way I looked at my game, because it told me what my reality was not what I hoped it would be. 

• Like 1

I'm feeling really good about my new putter.  Played 9 practice holes today and it worked quite well.  The new driver that I added, that I hit so well, not so much today.  Time will tell, have a game lined up tomorrow and the next day.

Playing the same type of ball(new) every round.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

Not necessarily a purchase for me but the most important thing to help my game was hotmelt.  Getting my clubs to a swing weight that helped me feel the club moving around me was the most important thing to ever happen to my clubs. I am a high swing weight player (swing weights up E range) thus I bought hollow head irons and weighted them up and haven't looked back. I also managed to use some wheel weights and JB weld on some Cleveland Smart Sole and and C3i wedges also. I was also able to put the weight towards the toe and move the CoG away from the heel on all my clubs.  This was huge for my ball striking and finding leverage with all my clubs where I feel like I'm hitting a draw, which I prefer, but the ball flight is very much straight with all my clubs because there is so much weight in the heel. 

Finding what I like as far as golf balls and gloves and sticking to them over a long period of time was also very beneficial also.  The ball I prefer isn't made anymore (Wilson Staff FG Tour X) but luckily I have about 30 dozen of them to get me by until I find another ball that I like just as much! 

On 1/3/2019 at 12:14 AM, TN94z said:

I still have a Nickent 2H that has great distance. I just never use it. It stays in my storage room.

I have had mine in the bag for about 6 years now...I think I have beaten it into submission!  I finally had to retire it a few months ago as I realized that on a good strike that it was 15 yards shorter on carry distance as opposed to when it was new. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, dennyjones said:

When I switched from long irons to hybrids. 

This. Without a doubt.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Changed from 2000 Callaway Hawk Eye to Titleist 915 D3 Driver. Longer and straighter.
Changed from 2000 Cleveland wedge to 2017 Cleveland wedge with more bounce. I improved a lot my bunker play and a bit of my shots around the green.
The improvement of a new set of irons, putter, hybrid and 3 wood where almost none agaist my previous gamers from the 90's.

• Like 1

I was just fitted for an iron set. Everything about how I hit a golf ball with my irons/wedges has improved exponentially. More distance, better control, more confidence... all of it. Getting fit was the best $100 I have spent on golf, followed closely by the fist $100 I spent on lessons. 

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!