IGNORED

Putting Yips, Great Tip to Conquer

Note: This thread is 1883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi im a 4 handicap who has gradually been afflicted with the dreaded yips, however ive found a great solution that ive never seen advocated in any golf instruction just wondered if anyone is interested in this topic?

putting yips that is

Sure. Feel free to share your solution.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Putting Yips, Great Tip to Conquer
4 minutes ago, wingback said:

the brain refuses to allow a smooth contact point with the ball

I disagree with this. The yips are a physical issue, not a mental issue.

This quote below explains it further:

"For many years the 'yips' was seen as a purely psychological problem, something that was all in the golfer's head," says researcher Aynsely M. Smith, PhD, of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center, in a news release. "This latest study provides further reason to believe that there is a physical component for many if not most 'yippers.'"

Previous studies have shown that a case of the "yips" can add as many as five strokes to the score of an affected golfer on an 18-hole course.

In their study, published in the current issue of Sports Medicine, researchers asked a group of 72 regular golfers to describe their experience with the "yips." The average age of the golfers was 52, and they had been avid golfers for about 36 years with an average golf handicap of 6.7.

Most of the golfers (55%) described the "yips" in physical terms, such as "involuntary jerking of the hands during putting." But only 22% explained it in more psychological terms like "nervousness and tight feeling in the body prior to and during the putt."

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20030306/golf-yips-may-be-physical-not-mental

7 minutes ago, wingback said:

the main problem as I see it is impact, the brain refuses to allow a smooth contact point with the ball and the right hand takes over and causes mayhem would you agree?

Nah, think it has more to do with the shoes you wear.

1 minute ago, wingback said:

but if you find a way to neutralise the right hand that would be the holy grail?

No. There is no such thing as a holy grail or magic solution that will work for everyone. 

Your yips might be caused by your right hand, someone else's might be caused by their left hand, someone else's might be caused by their head moving, etc etc.

2 minutes ago, wingback said:

o.k but would you say the majority are caused by the dominant right hand?

I’m the opposite. More left hand involvement I get yippy. I’d say my putting FEELS controlled 80% by the right hand, 20% by the left.  Starting the ball on line with a good roll improved dramatically when I found a comfortable grip that facilitated this. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, wingback said:

o.k but would you say the majority are caused by the dominant right hand?

No, but here's the other thing… neither of you can really speak with any authority on this.

I don't even like too.

The best information I've read is that it's a disconnect between what your eyes see (focal dystonia type stuff) and your body trying to "save" something at the last instant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

ive neutralised the right hand by sticking both elbows out, this allows the left hand to push back toward the right putting pressure on the palm of the right hand its the impossible to close the club with a yip of the right hand

its the brain sending a signal to the body to save the putt

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, wingback said:

I think the jury is out on that one. A lot of human reactions occur without the brain being involved. Grab something hot and you drop it before your brain is able to tell you anything.

I'm glad you found something that worked for you, but history tells me this isn't going to work for even a majority of those with the yips.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, but here's the other thing… neither of you can really speak with any authority on this.

I don't even like too.

The best information I've read is that it's a disconnect between what your eyes see (focal dystonia type stuff) and your body trying to "save" something at the last instant.

yes the body is sent signals by the brain, so for me its mental issue, and agree the brain signals the body to save the putt at impact

• Administrator
Just now, wingback said:

yes the body is sent signals by the brain, so for me its mental issue, and agree the brain signals the body to save the putt at impact

Read the post right above…

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think the jury is out on that one. A lot of human reactions occur without the brain being involved. Grab something hot and you drop it before your brain is able to tell you anything.

I'm glad you found something that worked for you, but history tells me this isn't going to work for even a majority of those with the yips.

ive not seen one instructional piece on the technique im advocating

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

the brain controls pain response

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, wingback said:

ive not seen one instructional piece on the technique im advocating

You just saw one in another topic here at TST.

8 minutes ago, wingback said:

the brain controls pain response

:hmm:  No, it doesn't.

7527684_f1024.jpg

Reflex action makes it possible to swiftly pull back your hand if you accidentally touch a hot pot, thanks to a pathway of signals called a reflex arc.

This process happens so fast that the response occurs before the message reaches the brain. This results to a quicker time-to-response as the thinking process of the brain may be relatively time consuming.

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

You just saw one in another topic here at TST.

:hmm:  No, it doesn't.

7527684_f1024.jpg

Reflex action makes it possible to swiftly pull back your hand if you accidentally touch a hot pot, thanks to a pathway of signals called a reflex...

lol your way to clever, to be fair I did stumble upon the other post and im glad I did, cant find it anywhere else, just wanted to share to help, I think the elbow out helps both hands push together to neutralise the wrist action which was killing me

2 hours ago, wingback said:

ive neutralised the right hand by sticking both elbows out, this allows the left hand to push back toward the right putting pressure on the palm of the right hand its the impossible to close the club with a yip of the right hand

Channeling Bernhard Langer. He abandoned his left elbow jut/forearm grab, for long putter which he then had to find a way to not anchor. May have helped him, but not for everyone.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 1883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!