IGNORED

Blades

Monir
Note: This thread is 1894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, ive been playing golf for like 13 years, im not the best player i just play for good fun with the crew, i have like a 20 handicap, my question is that since i started golf my firts golf club set was a set of blades, still using them, but a dude i played with yesterday told me that i should throw the blades away and get som CB clubs, i told him that it will be a silly downgrade but i want to know some opinions from golfers arround the world

thx a lot

• iacas changed the title to Blades

I wouldn’t consider finding clubs that are more forgiving, likely longer, and better suited to your game to be a “downgrade”.

I can’t imagine a 20 hcp that wouldn’t benefit from changing from older blades to a properly fit set of CB’s...

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

Edited by David in FL
  • Thumbs Up 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With all due respect, if youre, "not the best player", you probably shouldnt be playing blades.  The issue is that with blades, you have a sweet spot about the size of a dime and any time you miss the spot, it seriously hurts your distance and accuracy.

Look, Im with you, Id love a sexy set of Mizuno blades in my bag but Im not about to fool myself into thinking that I could play my best with them.

• Thumbs Up 2

In no way shape or form is going to a cavity back club a downgrade. If you’re concerned about the looks, there are plenty of great looking clubs that forgiveness.  Full disclosure I’ve never hit a blade but I can imagine that missing the sweet spot by a quarter inch and having my fingers sting and watching my ball drop out of the sky like a winged duck would be discouraging.  With today’s clubs you can miss the sweet spot and stay on the green.  I would suggest giving them a go.

• Thumbs Up 2

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

On 1/6/2019 at 12:53 AM, Monir said:

Hello, ive been playing golf for like 13 years, im not the best player i just play for good fun with the crew, i have like a 20 handicap, my question is that since i started golf my firts golf club set was a set of blades, still using them, but a dude i played with yesterday told me that i should throw the blades away and get som CB clubs, i told him that it will be a silly downgrade but i want to know some opinions from golfers arround the world

thx a lot

It’s not a night and day difference in scores. I play both kinds and see maybe a 2 stroke difference on 18 holes? Longer iron shots are where it makes more difference. If you have no issues hitting a 6i, just stick with the blades.

The main factor are your shafts.

I’ve seen many people at my courses moving back to blades for their 165 yard and in clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Interesting video on the subject.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

What type of blades do you play? Modern blades (made in the last 5-10 years) are much more forgiving than the butterknives of the past. That being said unless you make consistent contact more often than not you are probably hurting your game by playing blades. Not to mention the fact that cavity backs will most likely be lofted much stronger which could add a few yards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

First myth, cb’s have a bigger sweet spot. Wrong, there is only one sweet spot on any club and they are all the same size. The object of golf is to hit the club as correctly as possible and use the club to control the trajectory and direction of the shot. A blade iron with a minimal offset allows the player to easily close the face on the downswing resulting is solid shots. Traditional lofts allow various shot trajectories throughout the set of irons. Golf has become a game of swing like a wild man and hope a part of the club hits the ball. That’s not the way to play the game and why with all the modern equipment handicaps haven’t changed a bit. Get a set of irons that allow you to learn the game and improve through shot making. Distance is unimportant, you have 8 irons for various distances, learn to use them all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Interesting video on the subject.

Interesting. The SGI 7i has roughly the same characteristics as a 6i with lower spin. Not surprised that it wasn’t quite the right club for the 13HC tester though.

If the OP has a horrible short game but strikes okay, it might not make much difference after all?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Any reason why this topic shouldn't be merged into this existing topic?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

What type of blades do you play? Modern blades (made in the last 5-10 years) are much more forgiving than the butterknives of the past. That being said unless you make consistent contact more often than not you are probably hurting your game by playing blades. Not to mention the fact that cavity backs will most likely be lofted much stronger which could add a few yards.

Hello, i use the nike pro combo, i hit them prety well, i thin i hit 8 out of 10 shot spot on

for example i hit like 150-160 on the 8i

the problem for me and why mi game is 20hq is due to the driver, i constantly hot slice so i go ob or rough

17 hours ago, Monir said:

Hello, i use the nike pro combo, i hit them prety well, i thin i hit 8 out of 10 shot spot on

for example i hit like 150-160 on the 8i

the problem for me and why mi game is 20hq is due to the driver, i constantly hot slice so i go ob or rough

I too have a hard time with the driver but I read the "How to hit a driver" thread under Swing Thoughts here on TST, it has helped me. Had a really good game using the instructions provided then I went to the range yesterday and I'm pulling them to the left, (I'm a righty). I believe I know what I'm doing wrong but I've asked for comments on the thread.

Regards blades vs GI or SGI irons I can only say that I too am a 20+/- golfer. I have tried hitting blades on various demo days over the years, can't hit them, (but then again I suck at this game I love, probably should take up tennis).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I too have a hard time with the driver but I read the "How to hit a driver" thread under Swing Thoughts here on TST, it has helped me. Had a really good game using the instructions provided then I went to the range yesterday and I'm pulling them to the left, (I'm a righty). I believe I know what I'm doing wrong but I've asked for comments on the thread.

Regards blades vs GI or SGI irons I can only say that I too am a 20+/- golfer. I have tried hitting blades on various demo days over the years, can't hit them, (but then again I suck at this game I love, probably should take up tennis).

Nah, keep on golfing, i just play for the fun with the crew and to have a few drinks

and on the driver ive tried multiple thing and the only thing that may have worked is to close my grip but still i think i hit 7/10 slices i think im going to take a few lessons whit the golf club pro

@Monir Since you state that have been playing blades for awhile and seem okay with them, why change?  Granted, GI or SGI might save you a few strokes, but you should do what YOU feel like doing. You could always demo a set to see if they make enough difference. I started out when  all that were available were blades and Persimmon/Laminated.  Of course, I was forty years or so younger.  I was never all that good, but I also had other priorities sometimes taking a hiatus from playing for years at a time. Recently I finally opted out of my Hogan Edge irons and went for Tour Edge EXi which are stated as being for "better" players (that is debatable). They are a little smaller than the SGI irons, but not as drastic as a true blade. Just for the heck it, I acquired a muscle back from a thrift shop and even though it is touted for scratch and plus golfers, I can hit it without a lot of additional effort, but it did take some getting used to. 

so, keep on having fun with your "buds" and don't worry about unsolicited advice (especially from bozos, like me).

Edited by Hacker James
  • Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

If you are happy with your ball flight and distances that your clubs produce then roll with it and keep playing the game and trying to score as low as possible.  I play SGI clubs because I like to see my stock shots come out of a higher trajectory flight window knowing that I can hit it lower if need be.  If you can hit it high then you can hit it low but this does not necessarily go the other way as low ball hitters will struggle to raise their ball flight.  Play whatever fits what you want out of your game until your wants and needs for your game change and your clubs no longer suit your needs.   

If you are happy with blades and its not too detrimental to your game then stay with them.

On the other hand, take my Uncle for example. he started in the late 50's with old hickory shafted blades and "progressed" to steel shafted blades and played blades right up unti 2 years ago when he switched to a full set of Ping i25's and gained quite a few yards, more forgivness and importantly for him more enjoyment. At the end of the day its all about what is right for you regardless of what us numpty's say :-D.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:53 AM, Monir said:

It depends on your speed. If you don't provide sufficient clubhead then you will struggle to get proper yardage gaps in the long irons. On average, your 4 iron might be going the same distance as your 5 iron instead of 10-11 yards farther.

Also, if you do not consistently hit the ball close to the center of the club you will be losing ball speed.

If you like the look of blade irons, there are a lot of good options out there that have some game improvement tech.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!