Jump to content
IGNORED

Knee Drop Height - Absurd or Just Something to Get Used To?


iacas
 Share

Note: This thread is 1268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Knee Drop Height  

87 members have voted

  1. 1. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects how you think dropping from knee height?

    • We'll get used to it pretty quickly.
      79
    • It's still gonna feel weird in 2021.
      8


Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

It’s not calculus for crying out loud. Drop from knee height! So easy to remember!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When it changed from over the shoulder to shoulder height did all hell break loose?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just looked, it changed in 1984.  I was playing then, but really have no memory of the change.  With no internet, I'm guessing there were no significant issues.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I just looked, it changed in 1984.  I was playing then, but really have no memory of the change.  With no internet, I'm guessing there were no significant issues.

I didn’t realize it changed that late. I too was playing and watching. No recollection of the change at all. Maybe Venturi had a comment about it. No internet like you said probably is a main factor.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I always thought knee height might be bad for older people and people with knee or hip replacements, but as far as actually following the rule I don't see what the issue is. Drop it from knee height. It's probably harder to remember that's the rule now than it is to actually do it.

I think everybody complaining about it are just complaining because the rule changed and people tend to be averse to change. Dropping from knee height is more advantageous for the player.

  • Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

I always thought knee height might be bad for older people and people with knee or hip replacements, but as far as actually following the rule I don't see what the issue is. Drop it from knee height. It's probably harder to remember that's the rule now than it is to actually do it.

I think everybody complaining about it are just complaining because the rule changed and people tend to be averse to change. Dropping from knee height is more advantageous for the player.

I don't see how taking a few seconds for a drop is any worse on your knees/back than a full round of golf already is.  I agree with it being more advantageous though.  Might reduce the number of drops it takes due to the ball rolling as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

I don't see how taking a few seconds for a drop is any worse on your knees/back than a full round of golf already is.

Yea and most people are still bending over to tee up the ball, too. It's not something I feel strongly about, just that if there was an argument to be made against it, that's the one concern I had.

  • Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watched Fowler inadvertently drop it from shoulder height. I don't see how he should have been assessed a penalty for it either as dropping from knee height seems like an obvious advantage to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I watched Fowler inadvertently drop it from shoulder height. I don't see how he should have been assessed a penalty for it either as dropping from knee height seems like an obvious advantage to me.

Which other rules should not be enforced?  If a player breaks a rule, any rule, the penalty should be enforced, all the time.  Thank goodness that this rule doesn't mention intent, its really clear and simple.

  • Like 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, SteveH said:

I watched Fowler inadvertently drop it from shoulder height. I don't see how he should have been assessed a penalty for it either as dropping from knee height seems like an obvious advantage to me.

You're missing the point of rules it seems.  The idea is to create uniformity as much as you can at least within the rule, because the golf course conditions can change.  Rules bring order and fairness to the otherwise chaotic world of playing golf.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You're missing the point of rules it seems.  The idea is to create uniformity as much as you can at least within the rule, because the golf course conditions can change.  Rules bring order and fairness to the otherwise chaotic world of playing golf.

I'm playing tomorrow, first time in a month.  Chaotic may be an understatement.

  • Like 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can assure you, from personal experience, when and if the time comes for you to drop a ball, you'll have to stop and think about it. 😉

In all seriousness, when you're on the range warming up. Practice the drop about three times.

"Age improves with wine."
 
Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Well, this caught up with Rickie Fowler in Mexico (first hole on his third round after shanking one OB). His partner and caddie weren't looking during the drop (why was the caddie not looking and saying anything?), and he dropped from shoulder high out of habit and then proceeded to hit the ball: one stroke penalty! It was a dumb thing to do, really.  He probably won't make that mistake again, ah! :-P

  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Rickie, just because you f***ed it up, doesn't mean the rule is "stupid" or "terrible" or anything else.

Just play by the Rules. There's a reason they changed from shoulder to knee height. And, generally speaking, it's going to be an advantage for you. So just shut up and play it that way.

You f***ed up. Be a man and admit it - don't blame the Rules of Golf for it.

I never really rooted for Rickie before, and I've heard nothing but how great a guy he is, but I'm going to actively root against him now.

  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

Rickie, just because you f***ed it up, doesn't mean the rule is "stupid" or "terrible" or anything else.

Just sour grapes on his part. If "not looking stupid" was a motivator for him, he wouldn't wear single colored outfits with matching accessories 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, billchao said:

Just sour grapes on his part. If "not looking stupid" was a motivator for him, he wouldn't wear single colored outfits with matching accessories 😜

Not a fan of orange and high top golf shoes?:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision -MEVO+

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Rickie, just because you f***ed it up, doesn't mean the rule is "stupid" or "terrible" or anything else.

I didn't have a huge problem with most of what he said, I don't really care if he doesn't like the rule changes, but then I read "I think it will definitely be changed".  He apparently doesn't care or understand about the reasons for the change, and thinks that the USGA/R&A pay a whole lot more attention to the PGA Tour pros than they actually (I hope) do.  The touring pros, as a whole, show so little understanding of the rules that their opinions really shouldn't count for much of anything.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I didn't have a huge problem with most of what he said, I don't really care if he doesn't like the rule changes, but then I read "I think it will definitely be changed".  He apparently doesn't care or understand about the reasons for the change, and thinks that the USGA/R&A pay a whole lot more attention to the PGA Tour pros than they actually (I hope) do.  The touring pros, as a whole, show so little understanding of the rules that their opinions really shouldn't count for much of anything.  

Not only players, but golf media is playing this up because they don't care to learn about why the rule is necessary:

It literally takes 5 minutes to read why this is the new rule, but none of them will actually bother doing that. Drives me batty.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Big Bertha V Series (11 degrees) :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

 :snell: MTB-X :aimpoint:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...