IGNORED

Knee Drop Height - Absurd or Just Something to Get Used To?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Knee Drop Height  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following statements most accurately reflects how you think dropping from knee height?

• We'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    • It's still gonna feel weird in 2021.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It literally takes 5 minutes to read why this is the new rule, but none of them will actually bother doing that. Drives me batty.

Exactly right, and screw the press. They'd rather just quote the players and offer a "hot take" than to actually say "well, the reason is…".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Not only players, but golf media is playing this up because they don't care to learn about why the rule is necessary:

The media's job is to attract readers/viewers.  I'm sure they'll do that much better by pitting poor Rickie(David in this story) against the big bad USGA (Goliath).  Its a classic underdog story.  I'd say that to present the opposite view, that players don't understand or even know the rules that govern their profession would be much less popular among viewers, potentially pushing them towards a different media outlet, one that's more sympathetic to poor little Rickie.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

The media's job is to attract readers/viewers.

Not entirely true. It's also to inform and educate. It's to suss out the details and get to the meat, rather than just saying "player X said this, but we have no idea how much they actually know about the subject matter nor do we care in this clickbait headline-driven age."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

The media's job is to attract readers/viewers.  I'm sure they'll do that much better by pitting poor Rickie(David in this story) against the big bad USGA (Goliath).  Its a classic underdog story.  I'd say that to present the opposite view, that players don't understand or even know the rules that govern their profession would be much less popular among viewers, potentially pushing them towards a different media outlet, one that's more sympathetic to poor little Rickie.

I take your point, but I don't think that's what they're doing here. They're just saying it's dumb and it looks bad. They're not engaging in any depth with it. It's a constant problem the golf media has with the rules. Instead of trying to figure out why the rule is the way it is, they just say it's bad and bash the USGA. I'm not a fan of that. I haven't read one person even explaining why the rule is knee-height. I would have a lot more respect for someone who said they understand the why but still disagree with it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Not entirely true. It's also to inform and educate. It's to suss out the details and get to the meat, rather than just saying "player X said this, but we have no idea how much they actually know about the subject matter nor do we care in this clickbait headline-driven age."

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I take your point, but I don't think that's what they're doing here. They're just saying it's dumb and it looks bad. They're not engaging in any depth with it. It's a constant problem the golf media has with the rules. Instead of trying to figure out why the rule is the way it is, they just say it's bad and bash the USGA. I'm not a fan of that. I haven't read one person even explaining why the rule is knee-height. I would have a lot more respect for someone who said they understand the why but still disagree with it.

I would love to believe that the media has an interest in educating the viewers as to the actual reasons for the rules, and explaining a reasoned dissent, but I've just never seen it happen.  I think most programming is done assuming the viewing public has the attention span of a flea, and that's simply not long enough to stay on any topic long enough to even start to explain it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I would love to believe that the media has an interest in educating the viewers as to the actual reasons for the rules, and explaining a reasoned dissent, but I've just never seen it happen.  I think most programming is done assuming the viewing public has the attention span of a flea, and that's simply not long enough to stay on any topic long enough to even start to explain it.

Dave you said "the media's job is to…" You didn't say "the media has an interest…".

The two things are unfortunately not the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I can't speak for the general public, but I personally can't stand sports media that treat me as if I know nothing and don't care to learn more. This is why I rarely visit/read golf.com or Golf Digest, but will read things on No Laying Up, the Fried Egg, Golfers Journal, etc. Those type of outlets are growing pretty fast, too. Those publications tend to be more educated and less full of hot takes like RORY CAN'T CLOSE that I'm not interested in. And even those outlets are doing the lazy thing. It's just disappointing to me when we've seen a resurgence in high-quality golf media in the past 5 years.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Oy.

I like a few responses:

I had to reply to one guy:

Is it really that difficult to do? If so, they can practice it for say a whole 3 minutes or so.  Hell, I did not practice it before the first time I had to do it last week.  And, much to my total dismay, it left me with a clear 6i to the green.:~(

These guys claim to be pros.  No sympathy from me.  This has been a known change for months before the end of last season.

Perhaps they simply don't like the fact that, for some of them, their butts stick out a bit while they do it.:bugout:

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

If the rule is such a big problem for the tour pro, they could have started filing complaints when the final rules were published—last March.  Since the rule is being described as “terrible” or “stupid,” it should have been apparent to them when they looked through the rules (or summaries) or glanced at a couple videos.

Unless they never bothered to look these things over. Nah.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Unless they never bothered to look these things over. Nah.

Exactly…

Also, props to @DeadMan:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Waist Height? Let me get wasted first. As for looking bad, try this:  Point your toes in a little, so your knees point in. Slowly squat until your hand is at knee height. Look at yourself in the mirror and tell me that does not look silly.😊 Maybe we need a Minister of Silly Looking Ball Drops...   

25 minutes ago, AlDena said:

Waist Height? Let me get wasted first. As for looking bad, try this:  Point your toes in a little, so your knees point in. Slowly squat until your hand is at knee height. Look at yourself in the mirror and tell me that does not look silly.😊 Maybe we need a Minister of Silly Looking Ball Drops...   

You could make a drop from shoulder height or over the back of your shoulder look ridiculous too, if you wanted to.

To hear complaints about how awkward the knee height drop is, you’d think tour pros were quite uncoordinated people. I’m pretty sure my knee-height drop looks quite a bit more fluid and natural than my full swing (that’s where I worry about looking silly).

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 3 weeks later...

I think this isn't a big deal.  The rule has changed, it is simple and clear.  I can understand the reasoning behind it.  Bottom line:  follow the rule and save any concern or frustration for a more critical issue like slow play!

WITB:  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png M5 10.5 degree with GraphiteDesign Tour AD IZ shaft,  M2 3-Wood, 3-hybrid and 5-hybrid,  P790 6I-PW, 52 and 58 degree Vokey wedges  and 64 degree 088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png Hi-Toe wedge and Tour Spider putter.  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png TP5X or Callaway Chrome Soft X balls.  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align grips.

Played my first round today, had a bunch of drops. Not once was remembering to drop from knee height an issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!