IGNORED

Are you a mudder?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you a mudder?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a mudder? (A player who plays better than the field in wet/rainy/inclement conditions)

• Yes, the tougher, the better. Bring it on!
    • Yes. I don't like playing in bad conditions but I handle wet/rainy conditions better than the average player
    • No. I will play but the results are not better than the field
    • No. Who the heck plays when the conditions are not good?
    • Something else - please explain.

I play in all kinds of weather but wet, rainy conditions are tough for me.  I don't have the length or precise ball strike to overcome the conditions.  It is a struggle for me to score better than the field.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play in the mud when the alternative is to not play at all.  That is fairly common during what passes for winter around here.  You lose a few balls due to plugs and standing water...and it's a good idea to wear safety glasses.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Early in the season around here, we will play in the mud. I can't tell you how much I detest hunting for plugged balls, squishing around in sopping wet, boggy fairways, and coming home filthy and mud spattered! 

Last year I told my buddies not to call me to play golf until the temps were warm, and the courses were dry and firm! Only problem is, if I'd had that rule in effect last year, I might have never got out! 2nd wettest year on record! It was kind of "loose" out there all year. Any time you hit a low spot, you had to trust to luck! 

• Administrator

I play well relative to others in bad conditions.

And I always tell @NatalieB that poor weather is a great time to play competitive golf because if she doesn't worry about the weather, and just accepts it, every time the opponents worry about it, she's got an advantage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Voted for the second one. I think I like that expectations are low when the weather is crappy.

Some of my best rounds lately have been in cold/wet/windy conditions. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The only thing that bugs me in wet conditions is my glasses fogging up. I’m actually thinking about getting contacts to play in the rain. I like the fact that the courses are far less crowded when it rains.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I could have multiple answers here.  If you start with normal conditions and then have a wet day or playing just after a rain, then I'm probably pretty good at offsetting the wetness and taking advantage of the situation.  If you are talking about the severe winter mud that we have from December through February, then no, I can't overcome the 20-30 yards I'm losing off the tee right now.  On the other hand, I refuse to move back a tee box despite the conditions - I need work on my mid-irons and hybrid approach shots and so playing normal tees gives me more practice.

This leads to another question - my goal next year is to improve a stroke over this year's average.  Since my off season started, I've maintained my average - given that their are 6 holes on my home course that are playing much much harder due to the conditions - am I kidding myself to believe that I'm achieving my goal right now?  Trying to feel good but not complacent.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with playing in wind or rain, but combine the two and I'd prefer not to.  When good rain gear isn't enough to keep you from getting soaked, I'm not thrilled to be playing.  But, I'd still consider it an advantage to me when conditions are bad.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don't mind wind and I don't mind light rain, i.e when standard rain gear keeps you dry, but I won't play when it's both rainy and windy or the rain that really soaks you, no matter what you are wearing. I also don't mind playing on a wet course, as long as it's playable.

I will play worse than when the conditions are better but I don't know whether that's better than the field average or not: at least it's not in my head, so perhaps I have an advantage?

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Ok, every time I glance over the title of this thread my mind registered, "Are you a murderer." 😂 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Considering I live in the desert where we average less than 10 inches of rain a year, I am not accustomed to playing in the rain. We have over 300 days of sun each year if it friggin rains we wait and play the next day. Strangely enough, I have rain gear in my golf bag. I can't really remember when I actually used it last.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Ok, every time I glance over the title of this thread my mind registered, "Are you a murderer." 😂 

Well?  Anything you want to tell us?😉

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Subconscious coming out there…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I will play and enjoy it in all weather conditions but I clearly am not at the point in my game where I know what adjustments to make to handle those conditions.  I will say my focus does improve which somewhat helps but not enough to not affect. 

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

When I read the post I thought he might be referring to par. I know I murder it every time out, but in the wrong way. These days, my game is a crime of violence! 

I answered something else. I play well in wet conditions. Compared to others in my handicap range, I hit the ball higher and bit longer. So wet conditions are great for me. But wind is not my friend. Since I hit the ball fairly high, wind really messes with my ball. I also don't work the ball much, so it's not comfortable for me to try to flight my ball to avoid the wind. I don't play much in the wind, either, so I don't have the experience to deal with it as effectively as I could.

So, I'm a good wet conditions player, not a good wind player.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!