IGNORED

Unusual Putting Technique

Mr Puddle
Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Up until recently my putting has been dreadful, and amongst my friends it is a subject for jest. I have now found a technique that is far from orthodox, but it appears to be working, well, for the time being at least. I thought I would share this with you all, because I know I am not the only golfer that struggles with this part of the game. 

Now, this is going to sound strange, but honestly, it works for me. Simply line yourself up with the hole as you would do regardless. Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still. I find this reduces the inconsistency and side movement of your arms which in turn ruins the putting stroke. I am prepared to get bombarded with comments, but let us not forget, once upon a time we all thought the world was flat !! 

- Simon Hornsby

18 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

move your hips and keep your arms still.

Silly question, but how far can you hit a putt using this method? 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Honestly, as far as you want. Arguably the power from your hips is greater than the power from your arms. Keeping your arms stationary reduces the amount of adverse movement. I keep my arms still, and tuck my right elbow into my hip. This in turn produces a truer putting stroke. Go and get your putter, and have a go 

- Simon Hornsby

• iacas changed the title to Unusual Putting Technique
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still.

Are we being trolled here or something?

I'm all for people finding a variety of ways to putt, as the goals and speeds and things are pretty simple, but at the same time we've pretty much seen the variations that work, and this isn't going to be one of them.

Plus, in a day and age when taking video or photos is so darn easy, why doesn't this topic come with photos or video?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still

not trying to be a jerk but this would not move the ball if done literally.  I guess you are just using this feeling.  Like others have said, would be helpful to have a video of both "methods".

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Are we being trolled here or something?

I hope that we are being trolled here.  because if the goal here was for me to stand up in my office and look like an idiot trying to do this, said goal has been achieved. 

• Like 3

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
4 hours ago, lastings said:

I hope that we are being trolled here.  because if the goal here was for me to stand up in my office and look like an idiot trying to do this, said goal has been achieved. 

Love it! 😄

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
12 hours ago, Wanzo said:

not trying to be a jerk but this would not move the ball if done literally.  I guess you are just using this feeling.  Like others have said, would be helpful to have a video of both "methods".

I don't think I have made myself clear. My putting has traditionally been awful, but since finding this technique it has improved significantly. Now, if your already a decent putter I suggest you ignore this thread. 

The norm is to keep the body still and move your arms like a pendulum, although I have witnessed all sorts of things. My technique is to lock the arms straight and gently rock your body using the hips. For me this drastically reduces the adverse movement I experience when moving my arms. I don't suggest this will work for everyone, but if your struggling with your putting, it's worth an hour on the practice green, you may just be surprised

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

2 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

I don't think I have made myself clear. My putting has traditionally been awful, but since finding this technique it has improved significantly. Now, if your already a decent putter I suggest you ignore this thread. 

The norm is to keep the body still and move your arms like a pendulum, although I have witnessed all sorts of things. My technique is to lock the arms straight and gently rock your body using the hips. For me this drastically reduces the adverse movement I experience when moving my arms. I don't suggest this will work for everyone, but if your struggling with your putting, it's worth an hour on the practice green, you may just be surprised

Please film it. I think your description is not making it clear. Are you moving just your shoulders and hip?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Up until recently my putting has been dreadful, and amongst my friends it is a subject for jest. I have now found a technique that is far from orthodox, but it appears to be working, well, for the time being at least. I thought I would share this with you all, because I know I am not the only golfer that struggles with this part of the game. 

Now, this is going to sound strange, but honestly, it works for me. Simply line yourself up with the hole as you would do regardless. Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still. I find this reduces the inconsistency and side movement of your arms which in turn ruins the putting stroke. I am prepared to get bombarded with comments, but let us not forget, once upon a time we all thought the world was flat !! 

If you are having trouble, a video like others are suggesting would help you and everyone involved.   Another option would be to try putting left hand low (for a right hander) or practice putting one handed to help fix your situation.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

So essentially its the putting equivalent to Trevor and Simons "Swing your pants" dance then?

trevorsimon.gif

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Please film it. I think your description is not making it clear. Are you moving just your shoulders and hip?

OK, I filmed it, but the sites software won't let me upload it. Shoulders remain still, arms stay almost still, hips rock from side to side. It sounds a bit strange, but it works as it keeps the putt more constant

- Simon Hornsby

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

OK, I filmed it, but the sites software won't let me upload it. Shoulders remain still, arms stay almost still, hips rock from side to side. It sounds a bit strange, but it works as it keeps the putt more constant

YouTube

19 hours ago, Club Rat said:

This was my first question. I do not see how you could get much distance at all doing this. Not to mention, it seems like it would be very inconsistent in doing so.

16 hours ago, lastings said:

I would be lying if I said I did not fall into this category. I'm glad no one was around when I was doing it...haha.

I also think video is needed here.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Have to say i'm looking forward to seeing it...hope its not an anti-climax

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Just what I need.  An unconventional putting technique from a bogey golfer who admits to being a dreadful putter!

Sign me up!  :-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!