Jump to content
Mr Puddle

Unusual Putting Technique

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Up until recently my putting has been dreadful, and amongst my friends it is a subject for jest. I have now found a technique that is far from orthodox, but it appears to be working, well, for the time being at least. I thought I would share this with you all, because I know I am not the only golfer that struggles with this part of the game. 

 

Now, this is going to sound strange, but honestly, it works for me. Simply line yourself up with the hole as you would do regardless. Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still. I find this reduces the inconsistency and side movement of your arms which in turn ruins the putting stroke. I am prepared to get bombarded with comments, but let us not forget, once upon a time we all thought the world was flat !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

A video or a series of photos showing this technique would be a lot better than all of us trying to imagine the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

move your hips and keep your arms still.

Silly question, but how far can you hit a putt using this method? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Silly question, but how far can you hit a putt using this method? 
 

Honestly, as far as you want. Arguably the power from your hips is greater than the power from your arms. Keeping your arms stationary reduces the amount of adverse movement. I keep my arms still, and tuck my right elbow into my hip. This in turn produces a truer putting stroke. Go and get your putter, and have a go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still.

Are we being trolled here or something?

I'm all for people finding a variety of ways to putt, as the goals and speeds and things are pretty simple, but at the same time we've pretty much seen the variations that work, and this isn't going to be one of them.

Plus, in a day and age when taking video or photos is so darn easy, why doesn't this topic come with photos or video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still

not trying to be a jerk but this would not move the ball if done literally.  I guess you are just using this feeling.  Like others have said, would be helpful to have a video of both "methods".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Are we being trolled here or something?

I hope that we are being trolled here.  because if the goal here was for me to stand up in my office and look like an idiot trying to do this, said goal has been achieved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, lastings said:

I hope that we are being trolled here.  because if the goal here was for me to stand up in my office and look like an idiot trying to do this, said goal has been achieved. 

Love it! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Wanzo said:

not trying to be a jerk but this would not move the ball if done literally.  I guess you are just using this feeling.  Like others have said, would be helpful to have a video of both "methods".

I don't think I have made myself clear. My putting has traditionally been awful, but since finding this technique it has improved significantly. Now, if your already a decent putter I suggest you ignore this thread. 

The norm is to keep the body still and move your arms like a pendulum, although I have witnessed all sorts of things. My technique is to lock the arms straight and gently rock your body using the hips. For me this drastically reduces the adverse movement I experience when moving my arms. I don't suggest this will work for everyone, but if your struggling with your putting, it's worth an hour on the practice green, you may just be surprised

Edited by Mr Puddle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

I don't think I have made myself clear. My putting has traditionally been awful, but since finding this technique it has improved significantly. Now, if your already a decent putter I suggest you ignore this thread. 

The norm is to keep the body still and move your arms like a pendulum, although I have witnessed all sorts of things. My technique is to lock the arms straight and gently rock your body using the hips. For me this drastically reduces the adverse movement I experience when moving my arms. I don't suggest this will work for everyone, but if your struggling with your putting, it's worth an hour on the practice green, you may just be surprised

Please film it. I think your description is not making it clear. Are you moving just your shoulders and hip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Up until recently my putting has been dreadful, and amongst my friends it is a subject for jest. I have now found a technique that is far from orthodox, but it appears to be working, well, for the time being at least. I thought I would share this with you all, because I know I am not the only golfer that struggles with this part of the game. 

 

Now, this is going to sound strange, but honestly, it works for me. Simply line yourself up with the hole as you would do regardless. Now, keep your  arms absolutely still, and instead of moving your arms to hit the ball, move your hips and keep your arms still. I find this reduces the inconsistency and side movement of your arms which in turn ruins the putting stroke. I am prepared to get bombarded with comments, but let us not forget, once upon a time we all thought the world was flat !! 

If you are having trouble, a video like others are suggesting would help you and everyone involved.   Another option would be to try putting left hand low (for a right hander) or practice putting one handed to help fix your situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So essentially its the putting equivalent to Trevor and Simons "Swing your pants" dance then?

 

trevorsimon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Please film it. I think your description is not making it clear. Are you moving just your shoulders and hip?

OK, I filmed it, but the sites software won't let me upload it. Shoulders remain still, arms stay almost still, hips rock from side to side. It sounds a bit strange, but it works as it keeps the putt more constant

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

OK, I filmed it, but the sites software won't let me upload it. Shoulders remain still, arms stay almost still, hips rock from side to side. It sounds a bit strange, but it works as it keeps the putt more constant

YouTube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Silly question, but how far can you hit a putt using this method? 
 

This was my first question. I do not see how you could get much distance at all doing this. Not to mention, it seems like it would be very inconsistent in doing so.

16 hours ago, lastings said:

I hope that we are being trolled here.  because if the goal here was for me to stand up in my office and look like an idiot trying to do this, said goal has been achieved. 

I would be lying if I said I did not fall into this category. I'm glad no one was around when I was doing it...haha.

I also think video is needed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Need video! It´s imposible. The feeling it´s posible, but not the actual movement you describe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have to say i'm looking forward to seeing it...hope its not an anti-climax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just what I need.  An unconventional putting technique from a bogey golfer who admits to being a dreadful putter!

Sign me up!  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...