IGNORED

Walking With Weight (Rucking) to Prep for a Carry Bag

Elmer
Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every year I tell my self I am going to walk and carry every single round I play. Every year by the 3rd week, I retreat back to my push cart. I find that by mid round ( only 9 holes) knees, legs, shoulders begin to get sore. the last 3 holes I am finding myself gassed which causes bad shots. It should be noted that my home course is very hilly and a challenging walk. 
Of course this has been the first off season in many moons where I have not been dealing with an off season injury.
So my routine has been a daily mix of the following:
Walking, planks, push ups, stretching, kettle bells.

However, ever time I walk in the garage I am taunted by my bag. I have an old Ogio Grom. The bag itself is heavier than most carry bags. However when full it weighs 33-40 lbs. this is with 12 clubs, 10 balls, a small bag of tees, golf towel and water bottle. I am unable to take out anything else out of my bag, unless I learn to putt with my driver.

Since I am not in a position to buy a new bag (and really, would a super light carry bag make that much of a difference?), I am looking to condition myself to carry my bag.

I know the gym has these over sized weights, that look like a 50lb pillow.
I have seen a few of the iron man types use them on the track.

My other thought is putting my kettle bell in my back pack and walking the treadmill or when walking the dog.

Anyone ever use rucking to prep for carry a golf bag?
Anyone have any thoughts or experience on rucking or walking with weights?

rucking.jpg

Rucking is simple. So simple, it’s stupid. Get a backpack. Put some weight in said backpack. Put on the backpack. Start walking. That’s it.

thanks for any assistance

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The balls weigh more than you think, but 40 pounds?!? Even my bag with heavy steel shafts and 14 clubs only weighs 25 with a pint of water and sunscreen.

You might consider a lighter bag for carry? They have 8 club bags...cheap...

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Lightweight-Carry-Executive-Course/dp/B0016FZ7YW

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

40 lbs?!

I don’t think my cart bag, loaded with everything including the kitchen sink, weighs that much!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
49 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Walking, planks, push ups, stretching, kettle bells

It looks like you just need to add more variety to your routine. Not knowing what you're doing with the KBs, it doesn't seem like you are doing much to work the legs. Need to add in some squats, maybe some box jumps or step ups, weighted carry is good as you mention, etc...It just seems like other than actually carrying your bag, you are getting in enough of the right exercising. I find that having good aerobic capacity will help a ton...not just strength itself.

Rucking is a great form of exercise for sure. And of course, a good way to get at something is to do it. Yeah, your rounds suck now because you are getting worn out, but if you continue to carry the bag, your body will adapt and it will get easier and easier. Maybe you just aren't giving it enough time but I assume the question is just for off season?

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

3 minutes ago, TN94z said:

It looks like you just need to add more variety to your routine. Not knowing what you're doing with the KBs, it doesn't seem like you are doing much to work the legs. Need to add in some squats, maybe some box jumps or step ups, weighted carry is good as you mention, etc...It just seems like other than actually carrying your bag, you are getting in enough of the right exercising. I find that having good aerobic capacity will help a ton...not just strength itself.

Rucking is a great form of exercise for sure. And of course, a good way to get at something is to do it. Yeah, your rounds suck now because you are getting worn out, but if you continue to carry the bag, your body will adapt and it will get easier and easier. Maybe you just aren't giving it enough time but I assume the question is just for off season?

Kettle bell is usually a combo of swings, 8's, curls and waist circles.
I will add some squats.

Thanks for the advice. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

28 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Kettle bell is usually a combo of swings, 8's, curls and waist circles.
I will add some squats.

Thanks for the advice. 

The reason I say that is I have knee trouble (from meniscus surgery years ago) and keeping the quads, hamstrings, and calves strong seems to help the knee pain.

Bryan A

When I saw 'rucking' I was thinking this.

ruck.jpg

I would use a push cart and save your knees and back. Maybe that is not an option, but it should be.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would use a push cart and save your knees and back. Maybe that is not an option, but it should be.

This.   But if you want to get in better shape w/o going to a gym start climbing stairs, lots of stairs.   You'll be surprised the difference it will make in your leg strength.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Walking With Weight (Rucking) to Prep for a Carry Bag
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, colin007 said:

Why does the OP feel the need to carry as opposed to using a push cart?

I don't know. The benefits of walking while pushing a push cart are only slightly smaller than when carrying, and the health benefits more than make up for it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't know. The benefits of walking while pushing a push cart are only slightly smaller than when carrying, and the health benefits more than make up for it.

Right. According to this study, it's about as slight a difference as could be - less than 1%

t_logo_300_black.png

Tests performed on a group of amateur golfers seemed to indicate that being...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Colin P.

(edited)
16 hours ago, colin007 said:

Why does the OP feel the need to carry as opposed to using a push cart?

He mentioned not being in a position to buy a new bag so maybe he does not have a cart and cannot justify buying one right now.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

He mentioned not being in a position to buy a new bag so maybe he does not have a cart and cannot justify buying one right now.

A new smaller bag could cost as little as $25 as I posted above. That’s less than most rounds of golf? He also carries almost a dozen balls which I expect he’ll possibly lose? Otherwise, why carry so many?

It sounds more just like he wants to carry to look cooler than the old folks like me who push or drive a cart 🤪

That said, I do sometimes like to roam free without having to push or drive a cart around, that’s why I have an 8 club bag, and have been known to play only one club lately.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

A new smaller bag could cost as little as $25 as I posted above. That’s less than most rounds of golf? He also carries almost a dozen balls which I expect he’ll possibly lose? Otherwise, why carry so many?

It sounds more just like he wants to carry to look cooler than the old folks like me who push or drive a cart 🤪

That said, I do sometimes like to roam free without having to push or drive a cart around, that’s why I have an 8 club bag, and have been known to play only one club lately.

Very true. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Me personally, I'm using a cart before I walk, no questions asked. But I already have a cart. The only reason I would walk is to lose weight, and pushing a cart would get me the same results there, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Bryan A

Just now, TN94z said:

Very true. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt. Me personally, I'm using a cart before I walk, no questions asked. But I already have a cart. The only reason I would walk is to lose weight, and pushing a cart would get me the same results there, so it's a no-brainer for me.

@Elmer might not have known this fact that many of us seem to be taking for granted.

I also hike 2 to 3 days a week in the mountains with my wife, so there’s no need for “extra” exercise at this point.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

@Elmer might not have known this fact that many of us seem to be taking for granted.

I also hike 2 to 3 days a week in the mountains with my wife, so there’s no need for “extra” exercise at this point.

I agree.

Bryan A

10 hours ago, TN94z said:

The OP mentions that he has a push cart.

Colin P.

14 hours ago, colin007 said:

The OP mentions that he has a push cart.

Completely missed that, I guess. 

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!