9 posts / 1625 viewsLast Reply

noted an article in February edition of Golf Magazine about Hogan's swing as analyzed by AI technology and Swing Index. I have of course read about some of his prime moves before, but seeing the photos in the article gave me much better perception. The twist move he had at take away was not addressed, but the backswing and "lay off" was. This has been discussed in many threads and videos on you tube.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Another decent book on Hogan's swing was written years ago by Jack Schlee titled "Maximum Golf". 

Probably not as fine tuned as today's modern scrutiny, but was pretty informative back then. 

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

Another decent book on Hogan's swing was written years ago by Jack Schlee titled "Maximum Golf". 

Probably not as fine tuned as today's modern scrutiny, but was pretty informative back then. 

right.Jack's book has also been mentioned in videos I have seen. I subscribe to Tom Bertrand's you tube channel for several Hogan videos. For some reason, I am not able to copy and paste here. Works fine everywhere else.  I am pretty sure its something on my browser. (Chrome)

Edited by Hacker James

Hogan didn't do what the guy says he did at 4:15. His left wrist was cupped a bit at A1, still about the same at A2, and then cupped a little bit more (but not much) at the top.

Hell, Hogan did more of the opposite than what this guy is saying. Hogan's right hand stayed on top more than the guy demonstrates; it didn't twist "under."

02.jpg01.jpg

Has this guy ever looked at Hogan's swing? 😂

Agree with @iacas, if anything Hogan is doing the opposite.

IMO Hogan had more of what's called a lagging club head takeaway, meaning the club head "lagged" behind the hands on the takeaway. I just don't think you can get in these positions with twisting or rolling the forearms while adding extension (cup) to the lead wrist. I agree he maintained or maybe added a little extension in the lead wrist early takeaway, almost "pushed" the grip end back with the heel pad of the left hand.

Hogan 2.jpg

Right hand above left, well away from his right thigh. If you twisted you can't create that amount of width. Look at how the right elbow is well away from his rib cage.Hogan 3.jpg

Hands and shaft almost inline at 1.5, again don't think that can get there by rolling the forearms early.Hogan 4.jpg

Right hand on top of left here.Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.47.38 PM.png

I have some thoughts on how this allowed him to get to the top with such an externally rotated right elbow, might do a video on that soon.

Little off topic but goes to the credibility of the video. Hogan also didn't have his arms super externally rotated at setup (elbows turned under, elbows close together), like Bertrand is demonstrating.

This is right before he starts to take it back.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.32.10 PM.png

3 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Little off topic but goes to the credibility of the video. Hogan also didn't have his arms super externally rotated at setup (elbows turned under, elbows close together), like Bertrand is demonstrating.

Good point Mike. As you said..did this guy ever watch Hogan swing? I don’t get what his motive is to present such blatantly wrong info. And it’s not like a bunch of terms or speculations as to what Hogan said...it’s plain as daylight to see. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:40 AM, Vinsk said:

Good point Mike. As you said..did this guy ever watch Hogan swing? I don’t get what his motive is to present such blatantly wrong info. 

He said it in the video, he's selling a book.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:34 AM, mvmac said:

I did read somewhere, can't remember where, that Hogan "felt" like he was squeezing his elbows together. 

As far as the right hand on top, just look where the "V" of his right hand is pointing. Looks like it's between his left ear and shoulder! Fight a hook, anyone?