IGNORED

Unsolicited Shot/Swing Advice

bones75
Note: This thread is 1796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unsolicited Advice  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Is unsolicited shot/swing advice always a no-no?

• It's almost always a no-no
    • It's rarely a no-no

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

The other day at my home course i played with a friend and an old man that nobody in the club likes to play with.
The old man wasn´t playing really well and on a certain hole he hit an approach to the green with an hybrid. The ball started to the left green side bunker but cuttin rigth with a fair chance of going back to the green. my friend said: "Turn, turn.. come on ball, turn back to the green". But the ball landed between the green and the bunker and rolled back to the bunker. The old men looked at my friend really pissed off an said to him: "DO NOT TALK TO MY BALL AGAIN, OK?"

I doesn´t matter your good intentions, some guys can take it the wrong way so in case of doubt you´d better keep it to yourself.

Wow, what a jerk. No wonder nobody likes to play with him. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

The other day at my home course i played with a friend and an old man that nobody in the club likes to play with.
The old man wasn´t playing really well and on a certain hole he hit an approach to the green with an hybrid. The ball started to the left green side bunker but cuttin rigth with a fair chance of going back to the green. my friend said: "Turn, turn.. come on ball, turn back to the green". But the ball landed between the green and the bunker and rolled back to the bunker. The old men looked at my friend really pissed off an said to him: "DO NOT TALK TO MY BALL AGAIN, OK?"

I doesn´t matter your good intentions, some guys can take it the wrong way so in case of doubt you´d better keep it to yourself.

I would have moved on mid-round and not played with him ever again.   What an ass.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Not much was said here that wasn't already stated by TSTers.  But was funny that this article was just posted.  So if you wanna see a paid writer give his answer to the topic question, here ya go:

https://www.golf.com/instruction/instructions-columns/2019/01/25/etiquetteist-swing-tips-golf-partners/

20 hours ago, bones75 said:

Not much was said here that wasn't already stated by TSTers.  But was funny that this article was just posted.  So if you wanna see a paid writer give his answer to the topic question, here ya go:

https://www.golf.com/instruction/instructions-columns/2019/01/25/etiquetteist-swing-tips-golf-partners/

Well, at least my method of asking first if the person would like some input that I think would help them seems to be the right way to approach this quandary ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I don’t give advice while playing because it drives me F’n crazy when someone wants to try and “coach” me up. Unless you’re shootin 75 or better every time out our games aren’t that far apart. If someone asks I always offer a range day.  But not on the course. Even though I’m not into speed golf I’m also not into holding people up 

I voted no. Who the hell am I to mess up someone else's game? I can do that to myself

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a slight addenda to my first post on this topic.

For the last few weeks, I have been next to the same gentleman at the range.  He has been dealing with a rather strong slice and I have problems with my draw.  (If we could combine our problems we would have the perfect stroke!

We do NOT try to correct each others flaws.  But we do observe and usually share joy when it goes well.  

It has turned the last month or so into easing our pre-thinking worries into feeling comfortable!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I personally don't mind if someone gives me a tip. "Hey you picked your head up" etc.. Even if it's from a higher cap player.. what difference does it make, take it or leave it. 

57 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I personally don't mind if someone gives me a tip. "Hey you picked your head up" etc.. Even if it's from a higher cap player.. what difference does it make, take it or leave it. 

The difference that it makes is that the vast majority of golfers aren't qualified to and have absolutely no business giving advice to other golfers, especially unsolicited advice. 

What you are saying is that you are ok with someone who doesn't have the skill level to break 100 on a regular basis and who has never received any sort of formal training around golf instruction to provide you with unsolicited advice, tips, etc just from watching a swing or two with their eyes (no video, launch monitor, etc)

That's exactly how bad information like "You lifted your head thats why you topped that one" and myths like "putting and short game are the most important" get spread around.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

The difference that it makes is that the vast majority of golfers aren't qualified to and have absolutely no business giving advice to other golfers, especially unsolicited advice. 

What you are saying is that you are ok with someone who doesn't have the skill level to break 100 on a regular basis and who has never received any sort of formal training around golf instruction to provide you with unsolicited advice, tips, etc just from watching a swing or two with their eyes (no video, launch monitor, etc)

That's exactly how bad information like "You lifted your head thats why you topped that one" and myths like "putting and short game are the most important" get spread around.

No I'm just saying it does not bother me. I golf for recreation, not to get wound up. Take it or leave it (the tip) which would usually correlate to who is giving the tip. Or just smile and hit the ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

No I'm just saying it does not bother me. I golf for recreation, not to get wound up. Take it or leave it (the tip) which would usually correlate to who is giving the tip. Or just smile and hit the ball

I agree,  I would consider it and use the tip or ignore.  Sometime it'll work for me, sometimes not.  For the majority of us, It's supposed to be a fun enjoyable game, as frustrating as it can get sometimes.........  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• 2 months later...

I found an exception for me.

I was playing poorly yesterday, and showing more signs of frustration than I wanted, in part because I got paired up with 2 very good players and one amazing one. That last guy was scratch or better by the looks of it. He was like 1 under on the round from the tips on a difficult course. 

He gave me some unsolicited swing advice on the 15th and I found my attitude was that of total gratitude. I was happy he did and really took the advice to heart.  But I'm 100% sure that if a hacker told me the exact same words, I would have written him off immediately and not even have spent a second thinking about it.

really depends on source and situation for me. i appreciate friends and strangers who tactfully offer insightful advice. for generic/crappy advice from strangers i'll usually just smile and say "thank you" while continuing to do my own thing. most people get the clue, but occasionally -- usually during challenging drills when i'm struggling to make good contact --- i'll attract someone who becomes assertive and forces me to shut them down which can get a little weird. 😅

p.s. it's not OK to walk up to a stranger who refuses your advice and attempt to grab the club out of their hand, nor is it OK to casually lift a club out of their bag and say something like, "hmm... i think this is too much club for you" before walking away in a huff. hilarious and weird, but not OK! 😂

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

Note: This thread is 1796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!