IGNORED

Do You Play with a Phone in Your Pocket?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do You Play with a Phone in Your Pocket?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Play with a Phone in Your Pocket?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rkrider99 said:

It's on my desk at home. Cell phones don't belong on the golf course.

Others responded before I could, but absolutely: emergencies and just basic communication with your wife, or child, or whatever… are important too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Rkrider99 said:

It's on my desk at home. Cell phones don't belong on the golf course.

Does it really matter if you have a phone on course? Or is it more about using it and annoying other people? I have children and a wife. I do love golf but there are a few things I would place before that.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Others responded before I could, but absolutely: emergencies and just basic communication with your wife, or child, or whatever… are important too.

Well, I guess it's just the old fart in me and cell phones. I just can't understand how we, as a civilization, made it this far without cell phones stuck to our ears for most of the day.

I do see the advantage in case of emergencies, but if the wife can't leave me alone for a couple of hours, I guess I should just stay home. We can discuss what we're going to have for dinner when I get home from the course.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

Well, I guess it's just the old fart in me and cell phones. I just can't understand how we, as a civilization, made it this far without cell phones stuck to our ears for most of the day.

I'm not gonna belabor the point too much, but "we, as a civilization, made it this far without indoor plumbing…" at one point too.

16 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

I do see the advantage in case of emergencies, but if the wife can't leave me alone for a couple of hours, I guess I should just stay home. We can discuss what we're going to have for dinner when I get home from the course.

And if it takes two hours to make the dinner, or you are coordinating your date night later, or what movie you want to see, or who is picking up your child and where, or… countless other things?

At the end of the day it's quite possible to keep your cell phone nearby without making it a distraction.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted no. I do not play with my phone in my pocket because it drives me nuts to have stuff in my pocket while playing, other than some tees. But I do keep the phone nearby in case someone needs to get in touch with me about an emergency or something.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

In my pocket? It's not even in the cart or in my bag. I leave it in the car. I have my Izzo 4000 for yardages. I'm playing to get away from distractions. There is enough of that in my actual golf game in the first place. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not gonna belabor the point too much, but "we, as a civilization, made it this far without indoor plumbing…" at one point too.

And based on seeing the guys behind trees and bushes on the golf course, I think some people aren't aware that we have indoor plumbing.

But, take a cell phone away from people and you have raving lunatics within a short amount of time.

I'm not trying to start any arguments. I'm just one of those people that see very limited needed or required use of cellphones.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

YES - I use it for yardages. I use it to keep score. I may use it to track club yardages at some point in the future. I keep it muted (not even on vibrate) so that it's not a distraction. On occasion I have to send/receive a text or two during a round, but other than yardages and possibly photo ops I use it as little as humanly possible during a round.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

14/47 > 25%

More than my initial guess so far. 😜

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No.  Usually in the cart or bag if I am walking, always muted.  I have had one occasion where a player in our foursome took a serious fall and I called the club house and they got an ambulance to come to us.  I check the phone once or twice over 18 holes and have used it if we decide to play another 9 to call my wife and let her know that the course is all backed up so I will be late.

• Like 1

Always in my pocket but ringer off. Nice to have for emergencies. You never know when you or someone could need help, I'm thinking along the lines of a medical emergency, not ordering a sandwich at the half way point, lol

Yup, I have mine, usually in silent mode (unless I forget), in my front left pocket, at all times. I use it to keep my scores and track my steps. It's not unusual to have to wait a bit on slow groups, so I may use it in those times too.

I now sort of feel naked if my phone is not in that front left pocket!  Btw, when I got my first one, many years ago, and phones were only good to make phone calls and you had to conserve precious minutes, I used to turn it off (as in power off) unless I needed to place a call. My wife regularly got on my case for that... rightfully so. LOL.

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On occasion I will bring it along in the cart, set on vibrate. for emergency use only. My BIL and I were hunting in SE Ohio when my phone went off. It was my Brother calling to let me know our Mom had been taken to the hospital, and I needed to get home. So, I can see the need.

My buddy's Son is the other end of the spectrum. He is absolutely addicted to Facebook! He has his nose stuck in that phone between every shot. I just try to ignore it.

I voted NO.  While I understand the need for emergency communications, people who use their phone on the course for "important business" annoy me.  I know my phone can be set to accept only messages marked "urgent" while I'm on the course and I suspect most can be set this way.  My phone can all be set to only accept calls from specific people in your phone book.

Butch

Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!