IGNORED

What is Holding You Back (In a Few Words)?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Glaring Weakness  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What's Holding You Back the Most?

• Driving
    • Irons
    • Short Game
    • Putting
    • Mental Game
    • Lack of Time
    • Other
    • All of the Above (or Nothing)

i most definitely did 3 putt. so frustrating. the course we played on friday had some serious fresh edge cups.  not the rolled edge muni cups. 🤣  I/ we lipped out quite a few that seemed out of the ordinary. 🤬

Ill check out that putting book though.

Lack of time. I have two very busy young children and a wife with a full time career of her own. A three round month would be great even in summer.  

I have managed to drop 8-9 shots in last two years once I let go of my myopic stubbornness. But honestly I may be close to my ceiling if I maintain my current play. Maybe another shot or two if I care to to improve a glaring weakness (putting).  

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, treebound said:

I picked “other” because I couldn’t pick more than one option. There also isn’t a swing consistency option. I can do fine one hole, then totally blow up and start stubbing/flubbing shots on the next hole, sometimes my seing just falls apart. Might be swing thoughts or developing a good routine, anyway that will be my focus this year.

I see you have Game Golf.   When you add more rounds, the data will tell you your priority.     My very first golf lesson, the instructor asked my my priorities and I said "I want to be more consistent".   He laughed.    I was already consistent but just consistently wrong with my golf swing.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, CaseyD said:

Friday I played, I had 8 birdie putts within 20 feet. Before everyone chimes in, no I don’t expect to make every single one. But I should be good enough to hole out in 2 putts from 20 feet. And if I’m getting close enough to hole out in 2 chances are I’m gonna sneak one from there every now and then. And by the way how many birdies did I end up with of those 8?  0!!  Matter of fact I bogied all but 1.  😖

Not gonna argue that. But I’d rather have a high mark and not reach it you know. Say I don’t reach the 28 mark but get to 30 this year. Perfect. I’m still miles ahead than say 40+ a round. 

Ill go hit 12 putts and be like ok so this is boring. 😂😂 and I really enjoy going to the course so I need to work on that. 

Unless you were within 10 feet I think your expectations are off.  If most of the putts were around 15-20 feet making 1 would be a good number.  However, you are correct - from that distance you should be targeting 1 3-putt or less.  Think of it this way - your birdie opportunity to improve is likely 1-2 strokes max but your 3 putt opportunity to improve is 6-7 strokes.

8 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Unless you were within 10 feet I think your expectations are off.  If most of the putts were around 15-20 feet making 1 would be a good number.  However, you are correct - from that distance you should be targeting 1 3-putt or less.  Think of it this way - your birdie opportunity to improve is likely 1-2 strokes max but your 3 putt opportunity to improve is 6-7 strokes.

Oh for sure. I’m not even worried about moving into birdie territory, that will come just by chance of fixing my three putt issue. I always ty to be the one keeping score so I can keep track of my putts. This thread definitely just ignited my 2019 goals/ training focus. 

Edited by CaseyD

Lack of time. With a 5 and a 3 yr old quite rightly taking most of my time i'm not able to play as much as i'd like.

I do get a bit of time at the range thanks to my eldest son so that helps.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

It`s potentially every type of shot/club for me; I can hit really well (for me!) and be really pleased with myself and then the next time I go out I`m shanking or topping the ball etc...….the Frustration of it at times especially when I know I can hit decent shots...….it`s lack of consistency!

Ping G30 driver & 22deg hybrid; Ping i210 5 -W; Ping 52deg + 60deg Wedges; Odyssey 3300 Putter 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, mcanadiens said:

From a golf specific standpoint ...

I got more issues than a news stand. They sort of take turns, but I'd vote driving to be the single biggest limitation. Off the tee, I'm neither long or straight. My better drives only carry 220-230 yards (the average is obviously worse than that) and that makes it hard when I got to play anything other than a short course. It also takes depressingly little for me to get wild and lapse into round-ruining pulls and slices. 

In general ...

I'm a stone-cold clutz that comes from a long line of clutzes. It seems like a mean thing that I like sports as much as I do and have virtually no ability to play them. If I feel to sorry for myself, I can visit my brothers and sisters that are even worse-suited than I am. It probably makes sense, that the longest club would give me the most trouble. 

Slowly, it's a realization that It's better to just do the best with what you got and keep expectation levels reasonable.

Yep, I`d 2nd that ;-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G30 driver & 22deg hybrid; Ping i210 5 -W; Ping 52deg + 60deg Wedges; Odyssey 3300 Putter 

Poor club selection. I gotta stop picking the club I can hit the next farthest and pick smarter , starting with the tee box. Approach shots are often to far out. If I play for par +1, I believe I would shoot lower scores.

I would have to say my putting not because I am not a good putter, but because of I am not making enough putts. I am above average from 0 to about 15 feet, but farther from that needs work, my distance control is great it's just that the putts just do not drop.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, CaseyD said:

Ill check out that putting book though.

Get the other one, too. You won't regret it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, BigDHarrison said:

I would have to say my putting not because I am not a good putter, but because of I am not making enough putts. I am above average from 0 to about 15 feet, but farther from that needs work, my distance control is great it's just that the putts just do not drop.

If your distance control is great, it's probably not your putting. PGA tour pros are like +5 or better handicaps, so 8+ shots better than you, and they make less than 10% of their putts outside of 20 feet.

That means in theory, if you have 10 putts per round from outside of 20 feet, you should expect to make 1 putt outside 20 feet every other round. (1 putt made out of 20 attempts is 5%)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

Get the other one, too. You won't regret it.

I feel like the car salesman is telling me this car is this best 🤣🤣🤣

I will.  its been referenced many times on here.

56 minutes ago, CaseyD said:

I feel like the car salesman is telling me this car is this best 🤣🤣🤣

I will.  its been referenced many times on here.

He's right though!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'll vote other, that being having a few bad swings during a good round which is the diff between a good score 
or a mediocre score. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I’m going to say other and that being I haven’t been disciplined to stick with one (good) instructor.  I’ve bounced around looking for a quick fix.  Trying to be more disciplined this year to trust the good teaching and keep getting incrementally better for the long haul.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!