Papa Steve 55

Watching The Pros Putt With the Pin In…

110 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 1/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, iacas said:

If you mean from the PGA Tour and ShotLink, I don't think they're tracking whether the flagstick is in or out on a given shot.

Edoardo rolled a lot more balls - a LOT more - I believe, than MyGolfSpy.

Neither seems to have rolled the thousands Pelz has rolled, or the 2500 or so that I rolled, but still. Edoardo rolled 1800? I think. I think he rolled at least 900.

Again, I'm not talking about the physics of the thing, I am looking at the overall scoring effect (in the context of Faldo talking about course records being asterisked).  If being able to keep the pin in has a significant enough effect that scoring records have to be asterisked (as compared to all of the equipment improvements and other rule changes that have affected scoring) then it would show up in aggregate score reductions and, more importantly, the balance between number of putts vs. number of non-putts making up the total score.

It would be nice to have the additional info of which putts had the flag in and which didn't, but I do not think it is necessary to the analysis.  But I also won't be surprised if within a relatively short order the pin-in/pin-out  data starts getting collected.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!