IGNORED

Issues With My Pro, or Is It Me?

Note: This thread is 1908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

He agreed with my diagnosis, we watched the video, what i thought i felt happening was happening, we went from there

The bit that got me riled was i explicited said I dont want two swings if i can help it. I want to change as little as possible between irons/driver. but he wouldnt listen, he didnt suggest a single way to keep the same swing but only slightly adapt for the driver, nothin, nada. he just went straight into what i feel is a big change. 

Dont get me wrong if we tried smaller stuff like i wanted and it didnt work then i would happily accept a bigger change and just stick with it until it worked, im not afraid of change

I proved my own point with him on the night when i stopped hitting the driver and went back to my irons and shanked pretty much 60 in a row trying to refind the feel of my iron swing, I cant switch between two swings, im not capable enough, i already knew this and is why i went to him for help

I've never seen your swing, I won't get into specifics.  But its quite possible that both your iron swing and your driver swing would benefit from changes.  Yeah, you're hitting your irons good now, but can you get better?  Its possible that your self-taught changes will cause you to top out at your current level.  I agree that you don't want two different swings.  But what you seem to want is for your self-taught changes to work with all clubs, and you've already proven that they don't  I'll go back to a few of the others, post some swing video, and let the very competent instructors here take a look.  Be sure to go to the Hidden Content, particularly item 4, here:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

so that you get the most useful videos possible.  I imagine you may want to post both an iron swing and a driver swing.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Issues With My Pro, or Is It Me?
15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've never seen your swing, I won't get into specifics.  But its quite possible that both your iron swing and your driver swing would benefit from changes.  Yeah, you're hitting your irons good now, but can you get better?  Its possible that your self-taught changes will cause you to top out at your current level.  I agree that you don't want two different swings.  But what you seem to want is for your self-taught changes to work with all clubs, and you've already proven that they don't  I'll go back to a few of the others, post some swing video, and let the very competent instructors here take a look.  Be sure to go to the Hidden Content, particularly item 4, here:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

so that you get the most useful videos possible.  I imagine you may want to post both an iron swing and a driver swing.

I just want my self taught aspects to be given a chance really. I know they dont work with the driver, but can they but subtely adapted to work? Thats my first point of call

If then after a few months or however long i plateua with what i have then i can make the decision to go back to the lessons and see what we can improve. 

If subtle changes dont/wont work then im happy to pursue the bigger ones

Hes sending me the videos tonight so ill upload what he has, thank you

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

5 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

I just want my self taught aspects to be given a chance really. I know they dont work with the driver, but can they but subtely adapted to work? Thats my first point of call

If then after a few months or however long i plateua with what i have then i can make the decision to go back to the lessons and see what we can improve. 

If subtle changes dont/wont work then im happy to pursue the bigger ones

Hes sending me the videos tonight so ill upload what he has, thank you

Scott @boogielicious recommended changing your setup. Try a little bit of reverse K and setup the tee at various heights and front to back locations.

If not, really try teeing off with a long iron or 3W until you can figure out what’s going on.

Shop around for an instructor who’s compatible with your current goals.

Your goals and swing could very well radically change as @DaveP043 is suggesting for the future, but a quick simple fix might get you going for the time being?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

So…

• Better irons
  • Irons that fade
  • Driver popped up, high pushes, pull hooks

Pretty good chance you're coming over the top, hitting down, swinging left. This can "work" with irons, kinda, but doesn't play very well with the irons.

7 hours ago, carpediem4300 said:

from DTL he showed me how my left knee was popping out towards the ball and you could see daylight between my knee's, which he says is a big no no (this is where i started getting doubts, im hitting my irons awesome, i dont care about daylight if its working)

I have plenty of videos of PGA Tour pros with daylight behind their left knee and in front of their right knee from DL.

Like others have said, post a video of your swing. You're working on that, so, make it a Member Swing topic when you get it. I'd wager a fair bit at 5:1 that we'll see what I'm picturing in my head right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

So…

• Better irons
  • Irons that fade
  • Driver popped up, high pushes, pull hooks

Pretty good chance you're coming over the top, hitting down, swinging left. This can "work" with irons, kinda, but doesn't play very well with the irons.

I have plenty of videos of PGA Tour pros with daylight behind their left knee and in front of their right knee from DL.

Like others have said, post a video of your swing. You're working on that, so, make it a Member Swing topic when you get it. I'd wager a fair bit at 5:1 that we'll see what I'm picturing in my head right now.

Im trying to load the dtl video but cant get it from my phone to the post just yet, im working on it though 😁

• Administrator
1 minute ago, carpediem4300 said:

Im trying to load the dtl video but cant get it from my phone to the post just yet, im working on it though 😁

YouTube.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

YouTube.

So the first video is on there, not sure why its pixelating, just waiting for him to send me the face view, and the driver videos and ill add them. If i can get the quality better i will as its pixelating alot

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

So the first video is on there, not sure why its pixelating, just waiting for him to send me the face view, and the driver videos and ill add them. If i can get the quality better i will as its pixelating alot

The pixelation is due to the lighting. If it is fluorescent, then it will strobe a bit because those bulbs are actually cycling at 60 hertz.

Outdoor is best, but bright incandescent or LED lighting can work too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The pixelation is due to the lighting. If it is fluorescent, then it will strobe a bit because those bulbs are actually cycling at 60 hertz.

Outdoor is best, but bright incandescent or LED lighting can work too.

Bugger me timbers it were finelast night on his phone 

😐😐

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

Bugger me timbers it were finelast night on his phone 

It's because of how he sent it to you. It's highly compressed. You should get the full quality versions from him at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just loaded two face on videos, again crap quality as he whatsapped me

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 8:29 AM, DaveP043 said:

The way I read this, you went to the pro, and told him what you were doing wrong.  Essentially you diagnosed your swing faults on your own, and expected him to agree with you, even though he has a bit more experience in evaluating and diagnosing swing faults.  

Then, he suggested changes based on HIS diagnosis, not on yours.  You tried those changes for a few balls, didn't improve immediately, so gave up and went back to what you were doing (poorly) before.  

You're unhappy because the change he suggested felt like too big a change for you.  

I imagine that by now you can anticipate where I'm headed.  If you're only going to accept the diagnosis and advice that you want to get, I'm not sure I see the point of paying for a lesson.  I have no idea if the pro was doing a good job or not, I'm not competent to evaluate your swing, even if you DO post a video.  But you don't know either, you refused to give his suggested changes a fair try, because it felt wrong, and didn't produce immediate success.  In my experience, even small changes feel huge, and may take a little while to install effectively.   

I guess great minds think alike because this is what occurred to me.I was going to ask the OP how long it took him to get his iron game straightened out. I bet it took a while. Then, he wants the pro to fix his Driver swing in one lesson. 

I'm also not an instructor, but I've helped some guys in my day. From his description it sounds like the OP is too much "on" the ball with his Driver. That might work with irons, but it's nothing but trouble with a wood. The OP also said he wants "one swing" that works for everything. I'm of the opinion that you do not use the same swing with a wedge and a driver.

Carpe, I'm guessing here because I haven't seen your swing, but I think you need to get "behind" the ball with your Driver. It also sounded like you were making some manipulation with your iron swings to get the results. But hey, yours wouldn't be the only unorthodox swing (narrow at the top) to produce good results. I had an iron swing like that back in the day, and I could dead nut every iron in the bag! But, I did not swing my woods that way! 

I hope you can get your vids uploaded to the My Swing thread soon. Who knows? They might already be there. I'll go look.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I guess great minds think alike because this is what occurred to me.I was going to ask the OP how long it took him to get his iron game straightened out. I bet it took a while. Then, he wants the pro to fix his Driver swing in one lesson. 

I'm also not an instructor, but I've helped some guys in my day. From his description it sounds like the OP is too much "on" the ball with his Driver. That might work with irons, but it's nothing but trouble with a wood. The OP also said he wants "one swing" that works for everything. I'm of the opinion that you do not use the same swing with a wedge and a driver.

Carpe, I'm guessing here because I haven't seen your swing, but I think you need to get "behind" the ball with your Driver. It also sounded like you were making some manipulation with your iron swings to get the results. But hey, yours wouldn't be the only unorthodox swing (narrow at the top) to produce good results. I had an iron swing like that back in the day, and I could dead nut every iron in the bag! But, I did not swing my woods that way! 

I hope you can get your vids uploaded to the My Swing thread soon. Who knows? They might already be there. I'll go look.

I wasnt dead set on a simple fix, i just wanted him to help me explore the options without changing too much, but he wouldnt, thats what i took issue with

My swing is already up in that section 🙂 beebeen working on shoulder plane since some guys analysed my swing, seems to be helping somewhat, still striking down a bit too much with the driver but its getting better

Note: This thread is 1908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!