IGNORED

My Swing (carpediem4300)

carpediem4300
Note: This thread is 1906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

First a disclaimer: I am not an instructor, so my advice may not be the most important item for you to work on. I will show you below the type of instruction I have had with Erik and the Evolvr instructors.

I take lessons on line with Evolvr. I highly recommend it. The instruction is top notch. You work at your own pace. You can ask questions and the instructors are extremely helpful and frankly nice people.

So in Evolvr lessons, they look for priority items based on the 5 Simples Keys you have read about on the site. Analysis generally looks at those items with Steady Head, Weight forward and In-line impact being the first important ones for players at our level. They will compare your swing to swing models of really good golfers. Below are you and Adam Scott at set up. They draw lines to show your hips and head to see if you are making a centered hip turn, which helps get your weight forward at impact, and steady head. The head can move a little, but you generally don't want it to move back too much in the backswing.

Your video is a bit more forward than Adam's so the angle is off a bit. Notice Adam's feet are more flared than yours. This really helps the hips to turn.

CarpeDien FO A1.jpg

Here are you and Adam at the top. Adam, has his head a little lower (no issue for him) and his hips centered still. Your head drifted back a bit, but not that much and your hips are centered. But one thing that is different is Adams hands are a lot higher than yours. I think this is because his shoulder turn is steeper. But again, I am not an instructor.

CarpeDien FO A4.jpg

At impact Adam's hips are more open. Adam's head is down and forward, which works for him. Yours is just a bit more forward, but your hips are less open, which frankly most players at our level are like this. Your weight has moved forward, but if your left foot was flared, it may help your hips to be more forward and more open. That will move your low point forward.

CarpeDien FO A7.jpg

then at A9, you can see how his hips and shoulders kept rotating and yours (and mine too) have slowed down a bit. His hands are still moving pretty  fast so the shaft is still pointing down the line where as in ours the shaft is moving faster and started to hinge again. If this happens earlier in the swing, it would be a flip.

CarpeDien FO A9.jpg

From down the line the instructors do the same thing.

CarpeDien DTL A1.jpg

Now at A4, notice how much flatter your shoulders are than Adam's. His hands are a lot higher too.

CarpeDien DTL A4.jpg

A5, they look for the steepness of the swing. Too steep can lead to problems line an OTT swing. Here Adam's shaft is pointing past the ball (flatter) and your before the ball (Steeper). Generally flatter can be better because it may help keeping the swing inside out.

CarpeDien DTL A5.jpg

A6 is where they look for OTT. If the head of the club is in front of the hands, you are over-the-top. You are both ok here, but you can still improve impact position even if this position is OK. Adam's right foot has started to rise because his weight is more forward. Your right foot is still flat.

CarpeDien DTL A6.jpg

Impact. Looks how much more open Adam's hips and shoulders are than yours (and mine frankly).

CarpeDien DTL A7.jpg

So this is the type of Analysis you get from Evolvr, but much, much better than I can give. They would also give you drills to work on this. And it is WAY less expensive than in-person lessons. You can also do short game, sand, putting, etc in your video lessons.

A good drill for you shoulder turn is to place your iron across your shoulders. Then go to A4 and try to get the shaft to point at the ball. Then rotate through and have the shaft still point toward the ball.

And when you practice, always start slow! Looks at @mvmac My Swing thread for great examples of how to practice.

Thats some serious fricking analysis there dude!!! Its greatly appreciated, i did not on this range session after video that the harder i cleared my hips the better the shot, might of been getting my weight forward better doing that perhaps

• Upvote 1

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But one thing that is different is Adams hands are a lot higher than yours.

Notice Adam's left arm is straighter than @carpediem4300 which he allows to bend at the elbow.
I noticed it earlier, but didn't want to mention it figuring Erik or Mike would point it out. 
That leads to the flatter position as you pointed out and also notice Adam allows the right elbow to raise away
from his hip allowing the hands to set higher.

Elbow bend is not necessary a bad thing until it becomes too much. 
Then a player picks up the habit of casting or becomes OTT, which is bad.

But you have a great write up Scott and on track of the potential causes of the OP claiming -  "HOWEVER, the fundamental changes i made in this area of the game have crept into my Driver and are causing me serious issues, pop-ups/pulls/low hooks/high power fades, you name it! "
in his other post https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/99490-issues-with-my-pro-or-is-it-me/

Also, notice spine angle is more upright. 
With the combination of elbow flex and spine angle, I'd be will to bet it leads to the driver swing problems.
Iron swings a player can get away with slight elbow flex and upright spine angle most of the time, but will lead to push fades and mishits occasionally.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

then at A9, you can see how his hips and shoulders kept rotating and yours (and mine too) have slowed down a bit. His hands are still moving pretty  fast so the shaft is still pointing down the line where as in ours the shaft is moving faster and started to hinge again

Also note in the comparison, Adams arms are extended fully as oppose to yours.
Your right elbow begins to flex and the right wrist begins to cup.

And also notice the difference in weight shifting to left side as you questioned earlier in the A7 position comparison.

2 hours ago, carpediem4300 said:

Which point is the weight nt going forward in your opinion? 

These are all minor differences which you can work on.
I suggest working on one tweak at a time to correct and then the others will probably correct accordingly.

We all have swing flaws which are less than perfect.
When I get out of whack per say, I start with getting back to correcting basics at the range.
I always try to think "what am I not doing correctly as oppose to what am I doing wrong"

1 hour ago, carpediem4300 said:

Thats some serious fricking analysis there dude!!! Its greatly appreciated, i did not on this range session after video that the harder i cleared my hips the better the shot, might of been getting my weight forward better doing that perhaps

But again, bear in mind I am not an instructor. This is an example of the type of instruction I get from Evolvr.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks Guys for all the input

Played in the medal yesterday in the most ridiculous wind ive ever played in, taking driver/driver/5wood on a par 5 and still being short was a bit crap, and i dont lack distance!!!

I decided to not change anything yesterday and just go with it until i can get to the range, again the driver was either on or off, irons where good, my scrambling saved my round to shoot an 85 which in those conditions in comp format is only 4 shots over my handicap (course is a 68) so i wasnt too bummed.

From the analysis of @boogielicious and @Clubrat the first thing im going to work on is my shoulder plane, from what you guys showed i seem to have my left shoulder higher than my right at the top of the swing, i can imagine thats not overly helpful on any level!! so will work on that over the coming weeks, see where i get too and come back with fresh videos and go again 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2019 at 9:29 AM, carpediem4300 said:

Thanks Guys for all the input

Played in the medal yesterday in the most ridiculous wind ive ever played in, taking driver/driver/5wood on a par 5 and still being short was a bit crap, and i dont lack distance!!!

I decided to not change anything yesterday and just go with it until i can get to the range, again the driver was either on or off, irons where good, my scrambling saved my round to shoot an 85 which in those conditions in comp format is only 4 shots over my handicap (course is a 68) so i wasnt too bummed.

From the analysis of @boogielicious and @Clubrat the first thing im going to work on is my shoulder plane, from what you guys showed i seem to have my left shoulder higher than my right at the top of the swing, i can imagine thats not overly helpful on any level!! so will work on that over the coming weeks, see where i get too and come back with fresh videos and go again 🙂

Having worked on this with mirror reps before i hit the range ive noticed if i really focus on tilting forwards from the hips at address helps me shoulders almost automatically go steeper, has anyone else found that?

2 hours ago, carpediem4300 said:

if i really focus on tilting forwards from the hips at address helps me shoulders almost automatically go steeper,

Yes that would be proper. Spine angle attributes to proper shoulder angle.

Note: This thread is 1906 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!