IGNORED

ClicGear, Sun Mountain, CaddyTek???

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay gang,

I'm looking for some assistance here. I've decided that I'm going to get a push cart. I've been a guy who slings his bag on his shoulders and walks my whole golf life. I've never owned a push cart. I've decided to get one. I think I have it narrowed down to 3 brands: ClicGear, the current front runner. Sun Mountain, I've always liked their bags. CaddyTek, you seem to get bit more for your money with these guys. 

So, I'm asking the group: 

First - Do you own one of these push carts? Which one, would you recommend it, do you have any buyers remorse? 

Second - 3 wheels or 4 wheels, I can kind of see advantages to both. 

Third - Should I consider another brand that I currently don't have in my decision set? … Bagboy perhaps???

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on joining the "I Don't Want to Hurt My Back Club".  I made the move about 6 years ago (after holding opinions that it was silly and for wussies) and have never turned back.  It is a great way to go and gives you the freedom to really walk instead of being a hod carrier.  Only drawback for me is when you park on the wrong side of the green from the next tee, and ultimately have to push all the way around to the tee after holing out.  Don't tell anyone but I oftentimes jog down the fairway pushing my cart.  I once raced a power cart with two wussie friends in it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I made the move about 6 years ago (after holding opinions that it was silly and for wussies) and have never turned back.  

Can I ask which model you have? 
Is it the same one all 6 years? 

3 wheels or 4... or 2, I guess?

It is a TourTrek, I believe, from Golfsmith... which is now out of business.  3 wheels, it has been very reliable, with preventative maintenance... oiling, tightening loose bolts, adjusting its tracking, etc.  The beauty of it, for me, is that unlike a Clicgear, it folds up in 1.5 seconds with a push of a button and fits into my small car trunk.  After a round I do not want to be messing with a Rubik's cube of push cart breakdown.  I'd rather be in the grill room celebrating with a gin & tonic.  

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'd rather be in the grill room celebrating with a gin & tonic.  

I hear that.

I have the Sun Mountain Micro Cart and my wife has the Reflex, which I reviewed here for the site.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/sun_mountain_reflex_push_cart_review

They both are excellent carts. The 4 wheel ones fold smaller, which is better for your trunk. I have had no issues mechanically with the cart. The speed carts (3 wheels) are a bit more stable on rough terrain, but I not had any issues with the micro or Reflex.

ClicGear makes excellent carts as well.

I think you should really check them out for how they feel, how your bag fits on them and the features they have.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've had a clicgear 3.5+ for a couple or three years, and it's been awesome.  It's in my profile pic.  It locks in place and folds away nicely.  I can fit it and my cart bag in the trunk of a small car.

Edited by ncates00
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a Sun Mountain Micro 4 wheel as well and I do have issues of stability on terrain.  I play on pretty hilly courses, though.  When I play with others who have 3 wheelers, they can push and release and the cart would be fine over bumps.  Mine would tip for sure, and has when I tried.  I do like that it folds super small, though.  I have heard good things about ClicGear and they have a good diversity of attachments.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

10 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think you should really check them out for how they feel, how your bag fits on them and the features they have.

Yeah, I've been doing that. I even went to the Columbus, OH Golf and Travel show. I tested several models there. This may sound dumb, but I really like CaddyTek's cell phone holder that's on all of their version 8 product. But, ClicGear has the brake mounted on the handle and that seems way easier than the tap-with-your-toe brake on the CaddyTek. 

5 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I have a Sun Mountain Micro 4 wheel as well and I do have issues of stability on terrain.  I play on pretty hilly courses, though.  When I play with others who have 3 wheelers, they can push and release and the cart would be fine over bumps.  Mine would tip for sure, and has when I tried.  I do like that it folds super small, though.  I have heard good things about ClicGear and they have a good diversity of attachments.

I think you are correct. From what I've seen the 4 wheelers fold up smaller. But the 3 wheelers definitely seem more stable, especially when loaded. But so far I've only putz around with them indoors. I haven't had a chance to take one out on the hills. One of the courses I play is pretty hilly... so maybe 3 wheels? 

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I have the Sun Mountain Micro Cart and my wife has the Reflex, which I reviewed here for the site.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/sun_mountain_reflex_push_cart_review

Great review, thanks for sending me that way.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I've had a clicgear 3.5+ for a couple or three years, and it's been awesome.  It's in my profile pic.  It locks in place and folds away nicely.  I can fit it and my cart bag in the trunk of a small car.

I second this, and I love the accessories, and everything about it.

I like Sun Mountain stuff, but I've really really loved the ClicGear 3.5+. Hell, I have four of them… with only two golfers in the family. (The fourth I may be selling, but I still have a "backup" white one that I use when I caddie for other people, because I don't want to use anything else!)

They're built incredibly well, fold up to a great size, and have a ton of great accessories. And, they look cool.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have a Sun Mountain (3 wheels) and a Bag Boy Quad.  I prefer the Sun Mountain.  More important to me is how easy to folds and stores than 3 versus 4 wheels.

I have the Clicgear Rovic RV1S Swivel.  I have had several pushcarts.  My last one was the Bagboy Quad.  I prefer three wheels, and the front swivel wheel makes it easier to maneuver.  Highly recommend this cart.

I've only had one push cart. Clicgear 3.5+. I've had it for about 5-6 years now. No maintenance required so far. As other's have mentioned, tons of accessories and also parts for repairs/maintenance are readily available if ever needed. I suspect I may eventually need new tires once mine are completely bald.

No remorse. I was curious how the 4 wheel carts would work, but it sounds like they are not as stable as 3. I have the steering knob on mine.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

A Clicgear Trolley will out last the golfer using it. Enough said on that.

I know nothing about the other two brands the OP listed, although I am sure they would also work well. . 

Mine is one of the originals. Maybe 15-16 years (?) old. Still does the job it was intended to do. Still looks great. All I had do was replace the pneumatic tires it came with, once due to weather cracking. That, and periodic maintenance on the wheel bearings, and keeping the tires aired up.  

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. That's what I love about this forum. Lots of good information. 

Right now, I'm leaning toward ClicGear. 

8 hours ago, iacas said:

(The fourth I may be selling, but I still have a "backup" white one that I use when I caddie for other people, because I don't want to use anything else!)

Any chance the one you are thinking of selling is blue???? I'd be interested. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. That's what I love about this forum. Lots of good information. 

Right now, I'm leaning toward ClicGear. 

Any chance the one you are thinking of selling is blue???? I'd be interested. 

Bright green. I have two white, and two of the green ones. A junior golfer of mine has the one I'm thinking of selling… probably to him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Bright green. I have two white, and two of the green ones. A junior golfer of mine has the one I'm thinking of selling… probably to him.

Had to ask. 

ClicGear is the way to go, they fold up really small and they are so well built. I have had mine (it's a 3.0) for 5 years and it shows no signs of age. I walk 50+ rounds a year easily. I use the 3-wheeled version, but we carry the 4-wheeled model 8 in the shop as well. It's nice, but heavier and I don't see why anyone would the extra wheel or the extra weight as mine is plenty sturdy. 

We carry Bagboys (garbage) Sun Mountain 3 and 4 wheeled (decent) and ClicGears in the pro shop where I work. The ClicGears outsell the others 10-1 even though they are slightly more expensive. There is just no comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!