IGNORED

ClicGear, Sun Mountain, CaddyTek???

Note: This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was on the fence on whether I was going to go with Sun Mountain or Clicgear, but after @iacas let me borrow one of his for a round, I'm going to go with Clicgear. I have no idea when they'll be back in stock, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

I was on the fence on whether I was going to go with Sun Mountain or Clicgear, but after @iacas let me borrow one of his for a round, I'm going to go with Clicgear. I have no idea when they'll be back in stock, though.

apparently, when they come back in stock, they are gone quick...

1 minute ago, chile said:

apparently, when they come back in stock, they are gone quick...

I'm in no rush. I've put off buying a push cart for years. I don't need to buy one this season.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

300 sold out in minutes recently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I signed up for the emails so that I'll get notified when they're back in stock. Not that it means I'll be able to get my order in before they sell out again or anything.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Good for Clicgear. Good for golfers. Enjoy the walk. The carts are solid. I enjoy my Rovic. Good size smooth roll. Cup holder not great, I will get the xl one day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

On 6/2/2020 at 9:12 PM, iacas said:

The toilet paper of golf.

I have A Sun Mountain, and it's lighter than the Clicgear. Can you tell the weight difference when pushing? Also, it seems that Clicgear seems to be the pushcart of choice, what makes it better than the SM?

At my proshop, we've sold 5 pushcarts in 24 hours.  Maybe we should raise the prices... 😉

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Also, it seems that Clicgear seems to be the pushcart of choice, what makes it better than the SM?

Build quality.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

I have A Sun Mountain, and it's lighter than the Clicgear. Can you tell the weight difference when pushing? Also, it seems that Clicgear seems to be the pushcart of choice, what makes it better than the SM?

I have the Clicgear 3.5, Sun Mountain Microcart and Sun Mountain Reflex cart, which I reviewed here. 

Clicgear 3.5 - Bought it used this winter.

1. The Clicgear is slightly heavier but is very stable on the course.
  2. It rolls a bit smoother over rough terrain than either SM.
  3. It is also well built. It folds down to a more cube-like shape but still fits well in my Jeep.
  4. Folding takes a few times to learn, but it’s easy. 
  5. It has a mesh cargo area that can hold a couple of water bottles, so you really don’t need the external water bottle cage.
  6. The bin near the handle can carry my range finder and now, unfortunately, my mask for the first tee and check in. There is also three ball holder positions, but I don’t use those.
  7. I thought it may be harder to push up hill, but it’s not. It’s very smooth a a little easier than the SM Microcart.
  8. My bag fits on it well and doesn’t shift much.

Sun Mountain Microcart 

1. The SM microcart is well built too.
  2. I’ve had it for three or four years with no mechanical issues.
  3. It is a little rougher on bumpy terrain than the CG.
  4. It comes with a bottle holder, which is a plus.
  5. It folds very easy and is more rectangular in shape with a wider base. It still fits easily in my a Jeep.
  6. I would say even though it’s lighter by a small amount that is it slightly hard to push up hill because it has four wheels.
  7. It is a stable cart and can hold an open umbrella with no issue as can the CG.
  8. The bin area near the handle is a little smaller than the CG, but my range finder still fits.
  9. My bag does fit well but will rotate, so I use a bungee to keep it in place.

SM Reflex

1. The Reflex is really a cart for folks who have a small trunks.
  2. It folds down really small.
  3. On flat smooth courses, it works fine.
  4. It’s a bit less stable that either the microcart or CG 3.5 on bumpy, rough areas.
  5. The handle area bounces a lot so you have to watch your water bottle from falling put.
  6. Storage space is smaller, but adequate.
  7. SM doesn’t make it anymore so there s not a lot of hope for replacement parts.
  8. My wife’s bag fits fine on it. It shifts but she doesn’t care because she’s no OCD like me. 😀

So basically, if I was going to buy another cart, I would pick the Clicgear 3.5 or 4.0. I was looking to do that so I could have a pair of carts at my cottage, but now they are not available. I will wait and either get a new one or look for used ones once people dump them because they can use golf carts again.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

Buddy of mine got a clicgear last month, so it got me reflecting on how long I’ve had my 2.0, then how many miles I’ve probably put on mine.

11 seasons now, guesstimating 40 rounds a year (guess as an average over the years, maybe more?) My home course is about a 5.5 mile walk as measured by my Apple Watch, round down to 5. That’s about 2200 miles. Without an oil change.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 6/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, Sandy Divot said:

I can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference with the weight. I will never use a Clicgear due to how they feel like a tank when pushing them. Sure, they might outlast my SM Speed in the long run but the SM isn't gonna fall apart anytime soon. Not worth it in my book.

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I can ABSOLUTELY tell the difference with the weight. I will never use a Clicgear due to how they feel like a tank when pushing them. Sure, they might outlast my SM Speed in the long run but the SM isn't gonna fall apart anytime soon. Not worth it in my book.

I could NOT disagree with this statement more. 

In my experience the weight of your bag makes a MUCH bigger difference than the slight difference in weight of the push cart. Having said that I use (and love) a ClicGear 3.5+. I used to use a lightweight carry bag on it. I recently switched to a huge Sun Mountain C130 bag which I have loaded down with half of everything I own. I don't think I've noticed a difference at all between what I used to be pushing around and what I'm currently pushing around. Even though, I know my new huge bag and kit are about 10 pounds heavier than my old little bag and kit. 

In my opinion (opinions are like assholes, everyone has one) the most important option in a push cart is to have a brake release handle NOT a toe activated brake. Again, this is one man's opinion, but I find the toe operated brake annoying and the handle infinitely better. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, colin007 said:

If the wheels aren’t well lubricated it can feel heavier. It might be more that than an extra pound.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

If the wheels aren’t well lubricated it can feel heavier. It might be more that than an extra pound.

I was thinking along these lines. The wheels are going to have a bigger effect on how much force it takes to push it than the 2 lbs of extra weight.

Bill

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

I will never use a Clicgear due to how they feel like a tank when pushing them.

I've used a Clicgear and Bagboy triswivel. I didn't notice much difference in weight pushing between the two because the rolling resistance is low, but I liked that the Bagboy was lighter and folds smaller, which is nice for getting in and out of my garage/car, so I ended up keeping the Bagboy.

The Clicgear felt much sturdier, and I like that replacement parts are available on their website for when something does break, but I probably carry more than 90% of my rounds, so I don't put much mileage on the cart, so I doubt I'll wear out the Bagboy.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

but I probably carry more than 90% of my rounds, so I don't put much mileage on the cart, so I doubt I'll wear out the Bagboy.

If you own a cart, why do you carry?

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you own a cart, why do you carry?

Main reason is that the course where I play most of my golf is excessively hilly, and I am noticeably less fatigued carrying compared to walking. It's a specific fatigue/soreness in both my achilles/lower calves and glutes that only occurs when using the pushcart on this particulary hilly course. When I play a flat/flatter course, I take the pushcart.

Secondarily, I commute to/from work daily by bike, so my wife is basically the sole proprietor of our car, except on the weekends when I golf, and the rear storage compartment of our Subaru Outback (which isn't tiny) is always filled with kids crap, like bikes, scooters, etc., and I'm often too lazy to unload the car at 6am to fit my pushcart in the car, but my clubs fit nicely in the back seat.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!