IGNORED

How Often Should You Change a Putter?

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I also once read that while you might sell off old sets of irons or old woods, never get rid of an old putter! Eventually, the one you are using will go sour, and you'll have a bunch of others to try out without having to buy anything. i have about a half dozen stashed in the back corner of the closet just waiting!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I went back to golfing 18 months ago, I got my first new putter, but I never replaced the old one I got in 1973! Even have played the old tapper in a 9 hole match the other week and putted 1.5/hole for the round. The next round. 18 on a course with longer wavier greens, the new one did an excellent job.  Not ready to match them to a course but I was just happy to re-united with an old friend.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I also once read that while you might sell off old sets of irons or old woods, never get rid of an old putter! Eventually, the one you are using will go sour, and you'll have a bunch of others to try out without having to buy anything. i have about a half dozen stashed in the back corner of the closet just waiting!

I have twelve putters, I just pulled them out and counted them. Some are good, some not so much. But I wont get rid of any of them even though I like the one I'm using now.

I don't know about should, but I don't change very often.  I had a TPMills for a long time, like 15 or 20 years, and now I have a Ping G5i B60 that I started using 10 or 12 years ago.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

now I have a Ping G5i B60 that I started using 10 or 12 years ago.

My pops has that putter!  I've used it a few times when I've played a round with friends while visiting and have borrowed his clubs, it's fantastic.  He's at the point where all he's done putter-wise is change the grip on it twice.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I don’t think there is any set time for a putter change. I did some altering on my anser for this season tho. Had it reshafted an inch shorter. I picked up a ping mallet last year and it was a 34 in shaft and putting with that occasionally made me realize the shorter shaft was way more comfortable for me and more cinsistent. Also had my anser de lofted some. I’ve had that putter for several years and I  love the look. I got the other one after a very cold putting day and wanted to give myself a 2nd option to be able to put whichever one in my bag I felt most confident in.

Edited by Dunit507
Mis keys

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I change my putter when I feel like a change. My putting accuracy usually has nothing to do with the change.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• 1 month later...

Putter grips have changed significantly. Most new putters have Super Stroke or a similar large grip. The other change happening is around the mallets, different shapes and sizes than before. 

As a kid my first putter was a heel-shafted true blade which only suits an in-to-out stroke, and the grip was circular and tapered like an iron grip. At some point I acquired an STX putter with a very soft rubber type of face insert, and it started to bug me. Some putters with inserts will wear out.

I used the same putter with only occasional breaks for over 30 years, and would still use it were it not illegal. I could change the grip, but it is the original leather grip, and I will just leave it as is. Over the last couple years I have tried several, and was seriously considering getting fitted for an Edel this year, but toward the end of last season ran across the Scotty I am currently using. So far, we are getting along well, so if the relationship continues to be amicable, I won't change for a while.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

You should buy a  putter every 2-3 years. This is based on started playing almost 10 years ago. Used a hand me down for a year and today bought my third putter. 

Seriously, I now have a blade, mid mallet, and mallet putter that I like so I should be done for the foreseeable future. 

I consider myself a good putter and I use a mallet style putter. I think it's good to try different putters until you find one that you feel good lining up your aim. Also finding one that feels good with the ball you use. Some putter faces are for harder balls and some work better with softer balls and I'm talking about the covers of the balls, not the core. I have found I like the Titleist prov1 and a plain face putter feels the best to me. I think the putters with the grooved faces work well with harder balls. Also, the weight of the putter is something I look at as well as the length. I have found if the putter is too heavy, I lose some feel. Too light and I lose feel. Once you find one you really like, try ones that are like that one. It never hurts to compare like putters. Right now I use Cleveland Smart Square mallet. It fits all of my criteria.

Whenever I break the old one.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!